buck 110 dymondwood

Hello. I am a Korean knife user.
I had to do a lot of paperwork because of the knife possession laws in Korea, but I finally bought the Buck 110.
I was very satisfied and using it, but after watching YouTube videos, I found out that it changed from dymondwood scales to ebony in 2019. The one I bought was made in 2016, so it has dymondwood scales. It's a knife I'll use for the rest of my life and I can't replace it(because of the law), so I'm sad because I think I've got bad version of the knife. Are dymondwood wood scales really worse than ebony?

1646792483.jpg

No. Where'd you get that idea?

Oh, wait... The internet strikes again.

Buck's Dymondwood is a good material, and frankly it will outlast ebony. Enjoy your knife, it will, indeed, last a lifetime.

I had to do a lot of paperwork because of the knife possession laws in Korea, but I finally bought the Buck 110.
I was very satisfied and using it, but after watching YouTube videos, I found out that it changed from dymondwood scales to ebony in 2019. The one I bought was made in 2016, so it has dymondwood scales. It's a knife I'll use for the rest of my life and I can't replace it(because of the law), so I'm sad because I think I've got bad version of the knife. Are dymondwood wood scales really worse than ebony?
Diamond wood is a birch plywood composite impregnated with a resin. It is very durable and resistant to damage. It can be restored to a nice finish after extended hard use if it develops scratches and other minor imperfections with a light sanding and a buff. The return to ebony was done for several reasons. New availability of ebony via a guitar companies decision to use trees that used to be rejected because they were not pure black, so there are expected variations in color in the newer ebony from black to brown streaks to lighter colored wood. This was done to more ethically use the ebony trees.
Buck switched to the Diamondwood when ebony became unavailable in realistic quantities, and used it for many years with great success.

Part of the reason for returning to ebony may be purely nostalgic, and to please customer demand, but that said, there is nothing structurally deficient with the Diamond wood.

1646792483.jpg
No,and I think they are better myself.

A lot of the Ebony Buck gets is very dark and kind of bland compared to the diamondwood which has a lot of character and color variation.
The Ebony looks nice, but I'm used to my diamondwood.
The diamondwood is also very durable because it's resin impregnated.
I have seen a handful of diamondwood 110's that were found lost in the river and the diamondwood holds up very well.

No,and I think they are better myself.

A lot of the Ebony Buck gets is very dark and kind of bland compared to the diamondwood which has a lot of character and color variation.
The Ebony looks nice, but I'm used to my diamondwood.
The diamondwood is also very durable because it's resin impregnated.
I have seen a handful of diamondwood 110's that were found lost in the river and the diamondwood holds up very well.
That's amazing. Having water resistance seems to be a significant advantage since my knife will get wet often.

While I love ebony wood, I don't believe it is as resilient or as impervious to the elements as Diamondwood.

Beautiful knife you have there! I hope you enjoy it and also enjoy how the brass will take a patina over time. It is also neat to polish it back to a high shine if you want.

While I love ebony wood, I don't believe it is as resilient or as impervious to the elements as Diamondwood.

Beautiful knife you have there! I hope you enjoy it and also enjoy how the brass will take a patina over time. It is also neat to polish it back to a high shine if you want.
Thank you!
I do enjoy discoloration of the brass.

Hope you really enjoy your new Buck 110, it should serve you well for many years. It is an iconic American folding knife serving generations of users that have come to love this design.

Over the years I have seen older Buck 110's and other knives with solid Ebony covers that were cracked/split/and missing rather large chunks of wood on one or both sides.
I've never seen a cracked or chipped Dynawood cover.

In many ways the laminated wood cover is superior to any one piece "real" wood cover.
The laminated covers are impervious to moisture and blood (the 110 is a skinning knife, after all), can't shrink, swell or warp, has greater impact resistance, can't dry out or dry rot, is easier to clean ...

Your knife should last your lifetime, and that of at least your next two heirs, provided you or your heir don't have them put it on your or their belt before they close the lid and seal the box.

I'm taking at least one of my 110's and a couple other knives (and hopefully a few other things: a couple archery bows, a couple dozen arrows, release, finger tab, archery gauntlet, .54 caliber muzzleloading rifle and everything needed to use it, a couple fountain pens and bottles of ink, if I can get one, a 5 foot (sharpened) claymore sword with a back baldrick and sheath ...) with me when I get planted.
Maybe make some distant future archaeologist(s) wonder "WTFH?!?" 😷👍

That's a good looking buck! Enjoy the knife and stop worrying! :)
Out of curiosity, do you have to have "a good reason" to buy such knife requiring license? I mean, do you have to be hunter or such? Or can you buy the knife "just because you want to" as long as you apply for the license?

Over the years I have seen older Buck 110's and other knives with solid Ebony covers that were cracked/split/and missing rather large chunks of wood on one or both sides.
I've never seen a cracked or chipped Dynawood cover.

In many ways the laminated wood cover is superior to any one piece "real" wood cover.
The laminated covers are impervious to moisture and blood (the 110 is a skinning knife, after all), can't shrink, swell or warp, has greater impact resistance, can't dry out or dry rot, is easier to clean ...

Your knife should last your lifetime, and that of at least your next two heirs, provided you or your heir don't have them put it on your or their belt before they close the lid and seal the box.

I'm taking at least one of my 110's and a couple other knives (and hopefully a few other things: a couple archery bows, a couple dozen arrows, release, finger tab, archery gauntlet, .54 caliber muzzleloading rifle and everything needed to use it, a couple fountain pens and bottles of ink, if I can get one, a 5 foot (sharpened) claymore sword with a back baldrick and sheath ...) with me when I get planted.
Maybe make some distant future archaeologist(s) wonder "WTFH?!?" 😷👍

I imagine It will be a really interesting discovery for them LOL

That's a good looking buck! Enjoy the knife and stop worrying! :)
Out of curiosity, do you have to have "a good reason" to buy such knife requiring license? I mean, do you have to be hunter or such? Or can you buy the knife "just because you want to" as long as you apply for the license?
As long as I meet the permit requirements, I can purchase if I want.
Those are; physical and mental test and drug test (can be replaced with a driver's license)
A criminal background check and, if necessary, a brief interview with a police officer.
The purpose of possession can be selected from hunting, training, ceremonial purposes, slaughter, fishing, construction, self-defense, decoration, heirloom, and ETC (in which case the police authorizes a specific use).

Back