Buck 110 lite pro A basic no nonsense high quality folder fit for the modern age.

greater

Platinum Member
I got it in the mail yesterday (08/24/2021.) This is probably one of the current "improved" versions with the thumb stud moved further away from the pivot (unlike the one pictured at the website) as per numerous requests by the aged, arthritic (no disrespect I just hope my turn doesn't come,) whimsy, and/or whatever. Buck listened to my disappointment but it's still not a big deal to me.

This is made in the USA and that is important to me in a knife market where most high quality folders are imports. I am supportive of domestic production we need more of it and I don't nit pick about a lack of bells and whistles. This is a knife that makes the grade. It uses high quality blade steel, is heat treated by one of the best outfits (Bos,) is durable and light weight.

The knife weighs about 3 oz and will be even lighter with the pocket clip removed. Being as light weight as possible is important to me and in my opinion one of the better modern standards expected of any gear that is to be carried for long periods of time.

The action is very firm but not stiff this may be subject to interpretation since others may consider an action that does not have woefully weak blade retention bordering on that of a gravity knife without a button to be too stiff. For me this firm action is a feature as I am weary of carrying a knife that can open easily in my pocket. It can be opened fast enough with the provided thumb studs and does not need to have a weak action.

Mine has no side to side blade play and no blade rock. If I force the blade there is an extremely tiny bit of blade rock (almost non existent) that goes away after one or two rocks. In other words lockup is solid.

I am a fan of the total lock back design (lock release all the way to the rear.) This gives more leverage to the locking action (longer lock bar,) provides more firm lockup, and makes accidental lock disengagement less likely but it does not make for easy one handed closing. I prefer this trade off in favor of a more secure lock up. I don't think every knife has to be made to please wannabe ninja assassins who fantasize about a need to quickly close their knife after using it to avoid being detected by wandering shogun warriors in crowds. All jokes aside, I get it, some people like to fidget opening and closing their folders with one hand. I also find it fun but this is a working class user knife with a strong lock action that can be opened quickly however it is designed to be closed with 2 hands. One hand closing can certainly be done (VERY CAREFULLY) but it is not made for that. There are better options out there for those who like quickly closing their knives with one hand.

I don't like the pocket clip. I am going to give Buck the benefit of the doubt and assume that it is function over form. I will give it this it is a very deep carry clip that leaves almost none of the handle showing. Maybe someone who has experience using this pocket clip can chime in but I have no intention of using it since NYC is not a pocket clip friendly place. It is not a Spyderco delica or endura type knife that is optimized by design to allow easy one hand closing and work best with pocket clips. I love Spydercos too but a Spyderco is a Spyderco and a Buck is a Buck. I also love the time tested simple effective Buck design.

The blade is extremely sharp S30V heat treated by Paul Bos's outfit. This means a lot to me since Buck has a known reputation for taking their heat treating seriously. They are able to make their 420hc blades (also heat treated by Paul Bos) have acceptable edge retention.

I love the micarta they use. Despite the micarta being a synthetic it feels natural, grips well and secure, is stiff enough, and should be very strong.

This is a riveted design that does not come apart except for the pocket clip (thankfully.) There are pro and cons. The rivet design will not come loose and is very durable. The need to disassemble is debatable and for the most part is probably not needed on the other hand it is nice to be able to take a knife apart to deep clean replace parts modify etc.. one never knows if it may be needed one day but there are pinned used folders out there that have been used for decades and work just fine to this day with standard care and cleaning without disassembly. After having persistent blade pivot loosening problems on other screw apart folders despite properly applying loctite blue or teflon tape (not all screw folders do this) a riveted folder that is properly assembled does not bother me.

Overall I love this knife for what it is. It's a basic slim light weight Buck 110 made to modern standards with a high quality steel blade. Although the narrower handle does not give as much purchase as a standard heavy Buck 110 despite that I find it to be more than good enough. The fact that this knife is not as bulky in the pocket more than makes up for it.. The blade does not have the same upward curve clip point as the standard Buck 110 but should be fine for most uses and works well for this slim version.

Overall I love this knife and a lot of it has to do with it's function prioritized over unneeded "features" design.

Last edited:
Great review, thanks! I've had my eye out looking for the Buck 110 Lite Pro but only the standard Lite versions in 420HC seem to be available in the Calgary area. I have a standard 110 (420HC) and a BassPro 110 in CPM-154 with some kind of very hard, durable coating (definitely a step up from 420HC), but that elegant brass frame is heavy so that means belt carry. I've had a few Buck lightweight knives and the pivot is as solid as you could ask. Dang, I just ordered one...

Last edited:
When I first got one I was worried the stubby pocket clip wasnt going to work. I thought I'd give it a week or 2. That pocket clip ended up working fine for me. I didnt know they moved the thumb stud. Does anyone know which variation I have?
JbTVVq7h.jpg

You have the newer one. The older version (as pictured here) had the stud behind the the grind. Enough people complained it was difficult for them to open so it looks like a change was later made. The trade off is ease of sharpening (the small back portion of the blade) sacrificed for ease of opening.

The stud on the new ones are over only a small portion of the grind. It does not bother me. Most folders with thumb studs have the thumb studs over a small portion of the grind (a pet peeve among a lot of those who dislike thumb studs.) It gives more leverage when opening.BehindTheGrind.jpg

Last edited:
I'm looking at a website that lists them as Buck 110ODS4 Slim Knife Pro. The pictures look the same, would that be the same thing?

As far as I know they are now made with the thumb studs farther away from the pivot. The picture above in my post is from the web and not mine. It seems that a lot of websites, in fact all I have seen, still have pictures with the older thumb stud arrangement up. I can only guess they didn't consider it a change profound enough to set up new pictures. Mine has the current production thumb stud arrangement.

Here are some pictures of mine below. My camera is not the best.

One of the things I am having a hard time showing in the photos is the lock bar is actually flush and precisely aligned with the blade spine. The angle of the photos and reflections make it look otherwise.

I removed the pocket clip and all the pocket clip screws which were not needed. It is now lighter and the handle no longer has screw heads protruding up from it making for a more pleasant grip. It also looks better. Living in NYC where pocket clips are not a good idea the decision to do so was easy.

The handles are canvas micarta. After opening and closing multiple times the blade did bind and would not snap shut without a push. After applying a small amount of ballistol oil the problem went away. This tells me the knife has tight tolerances from the factory and will probably get even better over time. I figured I might as well apply a liberal amount of ballistol to coat the whole knife which worked fine. The ballistol gave the handles a nice darkened smoother looking finish without significantly compromising grip traction.

Attachments

• Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.26 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.26 AM.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.27 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.27 AM #2.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.27 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.27 AM.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.28 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.28 AM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 9
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.31 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.31 AM #2.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.31 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.31 AM.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.37 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.37 AM.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.54 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.54 AM.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
This is the well loved discontinued single blade Italian made Cold Steel lucky one after I removed the pocket clip and performed a little underwater (bucket) filing of the carbon fiber handles to make it an even lighter better slip joint with a more Buck like profile except for the blade. It weighs less than 1 oz. I can walk around with this thing all day in my back pocket without feeling it. I have used it multiple times when needed.

I wonder if Buck could make a slim tiny ultralight pocket knife this size with a thin Buck 110 profile and blade shape in both lock back and slip joint (slip joint for places with strict knife laws or personal preference) with a choice of standard 420HC or a premium steel priced accordingly.

Granted a tiny knife has more limits in use than a larger knife I still find myself carrying this tiny knife more frequently than any others.

I have been using the Buck slim pro for slicing hard crusted french sour dough bread that is fresh and soft in the middle, hard cured sausage, and vegetables. This thing slices very well. I can hold the food in one hand without resting it on a surface and thinly slice vegetables such as celery and tomatoes as well as meat. I used it to cut the french sour dough bread into slices and then cut in half a full sandwich filled with some hard choritzo sausage, veganais mayo, lettuce, tomatos, sour kraut, and swiss cheese. Despite all of that it neatly sliced through the bread and sandwich without smashing anything. This Buck is certainly one of if not the sharpest knife I own. A delicious experience through and through.

I am sorry I do not have any pictures of the sandwich since I ate all of the evidence yesterday and promptly flushed it down the toilet later on.

Attachments

• Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.40 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.40 AM #2.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.28 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.28 AM.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 12
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.40 AM #3.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.40 AM #3.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.41 AM #2.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.41 AM #2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.26 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 9.26 AM.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.41 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 10.41 AM.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.16 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.16 AM.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 12
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.21 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.21 AM.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 11
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.27 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.27 AM.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.31 AM.jpg
    Photo on 8-31-21 at 11.31 AM.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Interesting. I didn't know they made a single bladed version, I have a double blade Lucky, serrated and non-serrated. Love it.

I must warn that filing down the grip knurls on the 2 blade cold steel lucky does not work well since it's roughly twice as wide side to side as the lucky 1 for the 2 blades to fit. I filed down the knurls on a cold steel lucky (2 bladed version). It looked strange (like a wide flat un-tapered canoe) and provided a worse grip on the already tiny relatively wider handle. The cold steel lucky [2 blade version] looks and feels much better with the knurls. It is best left that way. Removing the pocket clip is ok though.

In contrast filing filing the knurls off the more narrow one blade cold steel lucky 1 made it a much better looking knife that feels better in the hand and is even lighter. I looks similar to a tiny buck 110 (almost [the back of handle has a more symmetrical curve] ) without a lock.

Last edited:
Back