Buck 110 - New York City

Quick story for some opinions.

So I've been carrying a leatherman on my belt in a leather sheath for about a year or so. I carried one longer before my current but lost it so there was a year break when I didn't wear anything.

I wear it every day. The first week I was worried. Yes the blade is very small but it's New York and the cops are a little on edge sometimes especially if they see it from your belt.
That being said I've walked down Times Square and went all over the city. I've never been stopped. People I work with have mentioned it but don't seem to care.
A client said I was brandishing a weapon, he commutes from a farm so it was warning he wasn't threatened or anything.

Granted I look like someone working or traveling through the city and I really don't stand out.

That being said I'm going to start carrying a Buck 110 Original.
I know it's huge but it will be in my pocket.

What do you guys think am I really rolling the dice on this. I do work in the city in an IT type field so I actually have to use a knife often but I probably will use the leatherman instead of whipping out the 110 unless the task calls for it.
Should I pick up a 112 for this or maybe even a Buck LT I've been eyeballing.

The LT is nearly the same as 110 but because of the weight a cop might give it a pass whereas with the 110 he might be a pissed.

NYC enforces two knife laws: NYC Admin Code 10-133 and NYS PL 265.01. The admin code says the knife must have a blade under 4" and should not be visible unless on your way to work and needed for work. The penal law issue is a gravity knife charge. Many Buck 110s CAN be flicked open holding the handle and ALL of them can be flicked open holding the blade and flicking the handle. Both methods have been allowed in court to sustain a gravity knife charge. If you choose to carry the 110, make sure to tap the blade pin with a hammer so it will not flick open, carry it concealed so it will not be seen or print in your clothing. I suggest not carrying it in NYC. This not legal advise, so make your own decision. The NYPD has over 30,000 members and job performance is often judged by arrest activity of an officer.

NYC enforces two knife laws: NYC Admin Code 10-133 and NYS PL 265.01. The admin code says the knife must have a blade under 4" and should not be visible unless on your way to work and needed for work. The penal law issue is a gravity knife charge. Many Buck 110s CAN be flicked open holding the handle and ALL of them can be flicked open holding the blade and flicking the handle. Both methods have been allowed in court to sustain a gravity knife charge. If you choose to carry the 110, make sure to tap the blade pin with a hammer so it will not flick open, carry it concealed so it will not be seen or print in your clothing. I suggest not carrying it in NYC. This not legal advise, so make your own decision. The NYPD has over 30,000 members and job performance is often judged by arrest activity of an officer.

Thank you Tom. Thanks a lot. It's legality when it comes to gravity does seem to be an issue but this is something I've heard before.
Dare I say this falls under how bad does the person looking at the knife want to arrest/write you.
This helps a lot.

If an officer sees you with it / finds it on you... It could be classed as a gravity knife which you could be arrested / summonsed for and the knife will be taken away. Not worth carrying it. NYC is not knife or gun friendly at all. They have a zero tolerance policy on it all.

Not real legal advice but...... I most certainly wouldn't carry that knife anywhere near NYC! Could prove to be a very expensive and legal hassle! I feel naked being knifeless as I'm sure most of us do. I'd leave a 110 at work and carry a Leatherman Squirt PS4 or PS4 EOD if you need to strip wire.
One simple thing can lead to a trip to Riker's Island.

I have a feeling New York will be the hardest state to get to change their knife laws. Cuomo and the NYPD seem stubbornly adamant on hanging onto the gravity knife law and not much progress has been made in the courts yet. That said, I applaud Doug Ritter and Knife Rights for their continued efforts. Hopefully at some point some progress will be made.

Some say New Jersey is the worst state for knife laws since the offenses there are straight up felonies instead of misdemeanors. They're probably the worst as far as penalties. But I think they would make changes to their laws long before New York ever does.

91mm SAK would most likely not be a problem. Or any small slip-joint should be fine. Heard locking knives are frowned upon there. Also, act casual.

Last edited:
Shame, I have my 110 from 20 in the USCG, and it would be a risky toss up if the officer would let it slide ( hey, my cousin is a retired...) or go for the weapon bust......
Sticking to the SAK before my irreplaceable is confiscated!

.... so the clip from my Bm mini-grip might not be good to be see either? Lol
If you are in NYC and a clip is shown that alone gives the officer the power to stop you, and take it out as it is now in "plain view", which is legal for an officer to do as they are witnessing an individual carrying a knife on their person via the clip...

In NYC the laws make it very easy, as just about NO knife is legal to be carried, and even if the knife is legal (such as a swiss army knife) it HAS to be concealed in the pocket fully, not able to be seen at all, including a pocket clip. -- barring the legal utility use of said knife...one example being: you are in the park having a picnic and cutting an apple or other food.

If you are found to have a mini-grip on you, the mini-grip will be taken from you, and vouchered never to be seen again, and you will also be arrested for criminal poss. of a weapon or you will be issued a criminal court summons and given a date/time in which you'll have to appear in court before a judge to answer for it.

So to answer your question, no... It wouldn't be a good idea to clip your BM to your pocket... If you MUST carry it, carry deep inside your pocket and have NONE of it show... However bare in mind if you are ever searched (even not related to the knife that you carry) or arrested for anything (even not related to that knife) once they find the knife on your person, that will add an additional charge to what your already being charged with...

Shame, I have my 110 from 20 in the USCG, and it would be a risky toss up if the officer would let it slide ( hey, my cousin is a retired...) or go for the weapon bust......
Sticking to the SAK before my irreplaceable is confiscated!
Might work, but depends on the officer you bump in to honestly.. could go either way...

Learn not to brandish and you can carry anything you want. Also be aware of entering buildings with metal detectors. I carry a four-inch flipper all the time.
Not brandishing it is a good idea, however keep in mind if you are caught with that knife you will either be arrested or summonsed... Don't forget that, this way when the officer is doing his job you understand you took a chance and now your paying for it. Laws are very unfriendly in NYC to knives and guns alike unfortunately. --- ultra libs rock! :poop::poop::poop:

Everything you said is true. The one ace I have up my sleeve is a NYC Qualifying Certificate in Food Protection. It would be a hassle but I'll get to show it before a judge. Many cases involving cooks and chefs have been adjudicated as such and dismissed. Still, without it, I'd take a chance anyway. I don't live on the streets, or in bars, and I usually keep to my own business.

Back