Buck 110 - New York City

Everything you said is true. The one ace I have up my sleeve is a NYC Qualifying Certificate in Food Protection. It would be a hassle but I'll get to show it before a judge. Many cases involving cooks and chefs have been adjudicated as such and dismissed. Still, without it, I'd take a chance anyway. I don't live on the streets, or in bars, and I usually keep to my own business.
Sounds good, as long as you are aware than go ahead and do you my man =D

If you are in NYC and a clip is shown that alone gives the officer the power to stop you, and take it out as it is now in "plain view", which is legal for an officer to do as they are witnessing an individual carrying a knife on their person via the clip...

In NYC the laws make it very easy, as just about NO knife is legal to be carried, and even if the knife is legal (such as a swiss army knife) it HAS to be concealed in the pocket fully, not able to be seen at all, including a pocket clip. -- barring the legal utility use of said knife...one example being: you are in the park having a picnic and cutting an apple or other food.

If you are found to have a mini-grip on you, the mini-grip will be taken from you, and vouchered never to be seen again, and you will also be arrested for criminal poss. of a weapon or you will be issued a criminal court summons and given a date/time in which you'll have to appear in court before a judge to answer for it.

So to answer your question, no... It wouldn't be a good idea to clip your BM to your pocket... If you MUST carry it, carry deep inside your pocket and have NONE of it show... However bare in mind if you are ever searched (even not related to the knife that you carry) or arrested for anything (even not related to that knife) once they find the knife on your person, that will add an additional charge to what your already being charged with...

To add on to this/clarify- even if the knife is deep in your pocket (not clipped) but its "printing" (the officer can say he saw the outline of it) that is treated as if you had it in plain view.

It would NOT be allowed to be in plain view if it was "printing" things are bad but not that bad. It would however give the officer PC to ask to see the knife as he can articulate that based on his training and experience he saw the outlined and had reasonable cause to believe it was a knife, which allowed him to test if it was an illegal knife.....

Quick story for some opinions.

So I've been carrying a leatherman on my belt in a leather sheath for about a year or so. I carried one longer before my current but lost it so there was a year break when I didn't wear anything.

I wear it every day. The first week I was worried. Yes the blade is very small but it's New York and the cops are a little on edge sometimes especially if they see it from your belt.
That being said I've walked down Times Square and went all over the city. I've never been stopped. People I work with have mentioned it but don't seem to care.
A client said I was brandishing a weapon, he commutes from a farm so it was warning he wasn't threatened or anything.

Granted I look like someone working or traveling through the city and I really don't stand out.

That being said I'm going to start carrying a Buck 110 Original.
I know it's huge but it will be in my pocket.

What do you guys think am I really rolling the dice on this. I do work in the city in an IT type field so I actually have to use a knife often but I probably will use the leatherman instead of whipping out the 110 unless the task calls for it.
Should I pick up a 112 for this or maybe even a Buck LT I've been eyeballing.

The LT is nearly the same as 110 but because of the weight a cop might give it a pass whereas with the 110 he might be a pissed.
I live in the City & have had to scale down to a small Swiss Army knife just somI can have some type of blade on me for small tasks. I keep my Skeletool in my bag for anything larger. I had 2 friends stopped & arrested for carrying pocket clipped knives. Full blown arrested. We’re not young thugs either, both guys are late 30s, very normal looking. One was stopped on the way to work walking through a subway station, the other was on line at Dunkin Donuts. The knives were small, basic Kershaw & Gerber liner locks but could be opened with a flip of the wrist & thumb stud. These working class Dads being arrested is ludicrous. Neither had criminal records and were doing nothing wrong. So basically you are rolling the dice every time you step out the door with a knife and the punishment is insane. Even if you don’t get charged you will have lawyer fees, missed work and potentially much worse. I would keep any knives in a backpack or just leave one at work if you need it. Good luck out there.

Back