Buck 110 or Case Mini-Trapper

I am going to buy myself a new edc knife. After going through my options I have narrowed it down to two knives- The Buck 110 and the Case Trapper. Both the knives are made in the USA** and both are considered classics. I am leaning towards the Case Trapper largely due to its non-threatening look and its smaller size. The Case trapper is a bit more expensive than the Buck 110 while also lacking a leather carry case (Ironically the Case knife does not come with a case). The Buck 110 also has a better steel than the Case trapper. If I was going to get the Case mini-trapper I would get it in smooth chestnut bone. If I got the 110 I would get the smallest size. I am asking the community because the I cant decide between the two. Also which type of steel is better for edc use on the Case mini-trapper? Thanks in advance for your responses.

** I have heard that Buck has started making some of its products over seas

Buck is moving foreign made products back to the US. They have not made the 110 overseas.

You might consider the 110/112 Slim line, also.

The Case Mini Trapper and the Buck 110 are very dissimilar knives. A better comparison would be the Buck 301- made in the USA.

It sounds like I'm being flippant but (in this particular instance) I am not :
Get both.
or
Get the Case full size Trapper ( I have many of them) I can highly recommend it.
I have the 110 in brass and Diamond wood and the LW (is reinforced nylon). The LW is quite pocketable (you don't really need the belt pouch it comes with. It is a better pouch than some give it credit for; I use it for my other knives as well.
For the brass 110 you will need the belt pouch (and probably some suspenders to keep your pants up).

If you like a belt pouch Case makes a pouch just for the full size Trapper . . . it even says Trapper on it.

I find the 110 a phenomenally great knife for the price and am not saying anything against it. For a City Slicker (meaning me) (and perhaps yourself) it is a pretty massive knife if you get the one in brass. I suggest you hold one in your hand before buying. You may be surprised at the heft.

The reason I said get both is because the blade on the 110 is so large you may find you have a use for the smaller blades on the Mini Trapper. They are a whole lot smaller and are more nimble for some applications. I often carry more than one knife and the 110 and the Mini Trapper would make an admirable complementary pair carried together.

Yes I wish the Case knives had more in the way of high alloy steel. I was carrying and using my Dark Red Jigged Bone Trapper today, it has the CV steel. It does very well for me generally. I like these large Trappers quite a lot ! ! !
Be aware the CV steel will darken (patina) and will rust if abused or in damp environments. I have several Trappers in the SS (stainless steel) and that is as good edge wise as the CV. Some of us enjoy carrying and using the old steel that changes color with use. It is just a personal preference.

For me, it would come down to whether you'd rather have a locking blade, or a back-up blade.

Also, if size is a factor for the 110, consider the 112 series.

Case Mini-Trapper. You will find it in your pocket more often than a 110. I had one of each in high school and right now the Case is still in my current rotation. Two useful blades plus a wide variety of handle options.

I didn't know that the 112 existed until now. I like its size and how it manages to be smaller while retaining all of the 110's characteristics. The price seems to increase a bit but I can live with that. Does anyone have experience on how these knives hold up over time?

I didn't know that the 112 existed until now. I like its size and how it manages to be smaller while retaining all of the 110's characteristics. The price seems to increase a bit but I can live with that. Does anyone have experience on how these knives hold up over time?
lifetime warranty. bucks warranty is one of the best in the business.....that said.....their knives will last many decades and longer under normal use.

the 500 is 112 size but better for pocket carry. if that matters to ya.

Personally, I would go with the 110, however the 112 ranger I believe would be better for a smaller knife. The 110 and full trapper are different knives. One locks, the other doesn’t. One’s size is not only in line with other traditionals but the 110 has more weight and I believe thicker blade. Also, the 110 is simply a more threatening design so if you’re going to use it around other people the trapper could be preferable.
Finally, as to the buck having a pouch, I just realized my trapper comes with a pocket clip which is fairly odd, so you may not miss the 110’s pouch unless you prefer belt carry or storage that isn’t on your person. Honestly two very different knives to the point where I would recommend purchasing both when you can.

I don't have a 110 (never interested me) but do have 2 mini trappers. I would think that the 110 would be considered as a primary carry. The MT on the other hand, I use as secondaries. They are smaller and less threatening to use around skittish people.

So if the 110 is something you are seriously considering, then the suggestion to get both is sound advice.

The Buck 112 is the most beautiful production knife made imo, but it's an odd duck sizewise. It's just as heavy as the 110 and too fat for front pocket carry to my tastes.

If you want a Buck lock back in that size range that will carry well in the front pocket, I highly recommend the Buck 500 (aka the Duke). As much as I love the 112, the 500 get's carried a lot more.

The Buck 110 is one of my most commonly carried knives but it is uncompromisingly big and heavy. It's way too big for front pocket carry imo. Many people can live with belt holsters and if you can, that's the way to go. I can't cope with anything on my belt, so I sew a seam up the right rear pocket on all my pants so I can carry a large folder in that pocket vertically. It's very secure, very comfortable and I can get my knife out more easily than with a holster. But, I'm an odd duck too and have access to and know how to use a sewing machine. So my solution isn't for everybody.

Between the 2 knives you mentioned, the Case is the only one that is a pocket knife.

The modern, clipped Slimlines are worth a look if you're into modern knives with clips.

Lastly, if you like the looks of the 110 classic but want less weight, Copper and Clad offers a 110 with aluminum scales. I think it's wonderful.

Last edited:

I have a 112 and a 500 that both are over 30 years old and they lock up perfectly. With normal use, your children will inherit them. The 112 is a great knife, smaller than the 110, but she's still a big thing to carry. The 500 is also a chunk in the pocket, you might want to use the sheath. The 501 also comes with a sheath, but is light enough that I carry it in my pocket.

I have to agree with all above: if you want something smaller than the 110 then consider the 112 and also look at the 500 series. IMHO a better alternative from the Case family is the Tribal Lock instead of the Trapper. I carry mine in a Case brand horizontal belt sheath.

My tastes are for the trapper. The Buck 110 is a big knife for EDC but getting one of the lighter weight variants wouldn't be as bad. A drop point is less threatening and available on the 110.

Still, I like the 2-blade option for EDC under many circumstances as I'm a follower of the clean blade/dirty blade logic for EDC. If you don't use a pocket on food at all, not a problem. My preferred knife of choice is a moose pattern which is roughly a trapper with blades opening on opposite ends instead of the same end.

If you plan to "hard use" the knife at all, 110. It's a pretty sturdy blade and handle and the big handle lends itself to harder uses for comfort reasons.

I'll echo some of the sentiments above.
I have quite a few 110's and do love them , but IMO the 112 is a better knife for EDC.
I never owned a 112 until about 6 months ago. I bought a drop point 112 with indigo scales, nickel bolsters from Copper and Clad. It's really a perfect folding knife. (I bought the matching 110 too)
Not too big , not too small, can be tossed in your pocket and it feels wonderful in the hand.

I am going to buy myself a new edc knife. After going through my options I have narrowed it down to two knives- The Buck 110 and the Case Trapper. Both the knives are made in the USA** and both are considered classics. I am leaning towards the Case Trapper largely due to its non-threatening look and its smaller size. The Case trapper is a bit more expensive than the Buck 110 while also lacking a leather carry case (Ironically the Case knife does not come with a case). The Buck 110 also has a better steel than the Case trapper. If I was going to get the Case mini-trapper I would get it in smooth chestnut bone. If I got the 110 I would get the smallest size. I am asking the community because the I cant decide between the two. Also which type of steel is better for edc use on the Case mini-trapper? Thanks in advance for your responses.

** I have heard that Buck has started making some of its products over seas

Welcome.
- They are entirely different knives. So it all depends on if you want a 2 oz, 3.5 inch Case mini-trapper without a lock or a 7 oz, 4.9 inch Buck 110 with a lock.
- There is nothing ironic (or unexpected) about a slipjoint pocketknife like the Case coming without a case. Those knives are supposed to go on your pocket. The Buck 110 is really more of a folding belt knife.

What I would suggest is either:
1) Get both, or
2) Do more research and figure out what kind of knife you want.

And as far as research....read read read here, and start browsing here:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/paid-dealer-members-list-updated-10-21-2018.1089879/

In the meantime there is also

Option 3) Get a Victorinox Super Tinker while you are thinking about the whole thing. It's plain, not sexy, but you will use it like crazy while trying to figure out what sexy knife really gives you a warm fuzzy. (You might even find out the Vic gives you the fuzzy.)

Back