Buck 111

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I've bought several Buck 111's. Can any one give me some history on this knife? Is it a low cost 110 or something else?

Many thanks - Joe

Hi,

I've bought several Buck 111's. Can any one give me some history on this knife? Is it a low cost 110 or something else?

Many thanks - Joe

The 111 is one of my favorites and it was not a low cost 110. It cost about the same or more when it was available. It's history is sort of a mystery since it never showed up in Buck's catalogs except for some LE's that were based on it.

I've never gotten a real clear answer regarding the lack of info on it.

JoeBW, The 111 has a very interesting history . It was to be a Cowboy dress knife with handle of sterling silver done by a well known artist who was a champion roper Gary Gist in 1981 .
But the Hunt brother's were at that time working on cornering the silver market and this caused the price of silver to skyrocket . So, aluminum was choosen with an engraving/stamped handle of fleur de lis style and matching tooled leather sheath . The first models had 3 dot blades the 111 Classic series based off the 110, 510/500, 513/503 and 505/515 thus the series was born . There are many variations of these four models out there . The series was discontinued in 90 or 91 then brought back and discontinued again . An unusual model with sordid history . Glad you have some . DM

The 111 is actually my favorite of the 110 model family. I like the nickel silver bolsters and the shape is more pleasing to the eye.

Hi,

Many thanks - Joe

Which 111 are you referring to Joe? There was as David Martin pointed out, the original 111 Classic. The number 111 was later used for a wood handed 110 type with different shaped bolsters.

Here's the new models

3111snodate.jpg

Here's a 111 Classic

111Classica.jpg

I know you can't stand this but Vern Taylor wrote a lengthy article on this series/model in the May 1996 BCCI issue and stated that it was discontinued and brought back and discontinued again . So go to that cemetery and have a good argument . DM

I know you can't stand this but Vern Taylor wrote a lengthy article on this series/model in the May 1996 BCCI issue and stated that it was discontinued and brought back and discontinued again . So go to that cemetery and have a good argument . DM

Can you provide a single 111 Classic that has a tang stamp later than 1986(<)?

I'm with you David, I'm way more apt to take the word of a revered collector like Vern than some one who drops in here occasionally simply to start arguments. ;)

I'm with you David, I'm way more apt to take the word of a revered collector like Vern than some one who drops in here occasionally simply to start arguments. ;)

Take any word you wish, but incorrect data is incorrect data.

Take any word you wish, but incorrect data is incorrect data.

I, like David can only provide info for which there is documentation from reliable sources. Can you?
I hesitate the take the word of anyone with dubious credentials such as yours (if you have any at all).

I, like David can only provide info for which there is documentation from reliable sources. Can you?
I hesitate the take the word of anyone with dubious credentials such as yours (if you have any at all).

Opinions vary, data doesn't!
Talk is cheap! If you state they were indeed produced after 1986, prove it!
Perhaps your credentials(if you have any at all) will allow you to provide a single 111 Classic that has a tang stamp later than 1986(<).

What I can come up with is the Buck 111 spec sheet that states discontinued in 1990. Also, a Buck price list from 1995 that shows a 111 with flowered sheath.

What I can come up with is the Buck 111 spec sheet that states discontinued in 1990. Also, a Buck price list from 1995 that shows a 111 with flowered sheath.

Spec. sheet from where? How can the accuracy of it be trusted without an actual 111 Classic dated later than 1986(<)?

Spec. sheet from where? How can the accuracy of it be trusted without an actual 111 Classic dated later than 1986(<)?

As much as I hate continuing this with you, it's the Buck Knives Inc. spec sheet by R. Matheny and is to be found on the BCCI website.

Can you provide absolute proof that they weren't? Just because YOU say there were no date stamps later than '86 doesn't mean that they weren't produced with older blades that had been previously stamped. That's been know to have occured with others and there was a recent discussion on that very thing recently.

As much as I hate continuing this with you, it's the Buck Knives Inc. spec sheet by R. Matheny and is to be found on the BCCI website.

Can you provide absolute proof that they weren't? Just because YOU say there were no date stamps later than '86 doesn't mean that they weren't produced with older blades that had been previously stamped. That's been know to have occured with others and there was a recent discussion on that very thing recently.

If I am stating they were not produced after 1986, how can I possibly provide a knife dated later? Without factory documentation, if build-outs were produced with blades that had been previously stamped, there is no way to prove it. Also, that would merely mean that they were assembled, and NOT produced at a later date.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back