Buck 112 Ranger Pro

TheJon

Gold Member
I'm currently "deployed" in Europe with the army. 9 months stuck in a box in some forest. Seeing as I neglected to bring a Buck knife with me (I was given only 3 days notice to pack) so I'm thinking I'll buy a 112. Now what do you all think is the pro worth it? Its toting mainly for the nickle bolsters. But also almost twice as much. I'll probably do a plain one, but I figured I'd give you all the chance to persuade me.

thanks for your service first.

if ya want the s30v steel, nickle silver bolsters and frame and g10, than yes. if you're good with the 420hc, brass and ebony then no.

both work well. for the money I'd lean toward standard one myself, but upgraded is great if ya want upgrades.

Standard will do the same stuff that the upgraydded one will do, right?

from what I gather Buck's 420hc is pretty serious stuff.....

I dont know much though.

My most favorite 112 is the pro with nickle bolsters,textured g10 scales ,s30 blade , it cost more than the standard 112 but I like it the most

To me nickle silver or brass bolsters are a toss up. But I really like S30v steel, and based on the pricing on Buck's website, I would pay the difference to get the S30v steel.

O.B.

I used to prefer S30V and Nickel bolsters. But after I learned that 420HC is tougher and "Nickel" bolsters are chemically almost the same as brass bolsters, these days it's almost a wash.

And thank you for your service, of course.

thanks for your service first.

if ya want the s30v steel, nickle silver bolsters and frame and g10, than yes. if you're good with the 420hc, brass and ebony then no.

both work well. for the money I'd lean toward standard one myself, but upgraded is great if ya want upgrades.
I'll probably grab a standard one, really the nickel is the only thing I like about the Pro. I'm not usually a fan of G10, but strangely approve of it on the pro. The next question is a clip point or a drop point.

I'll probably grab a standard one, really the nickel is the only thing I like about the Pro. I'm not usually a fan of G10, but strangely approve of it on the pro. The next question is a clip point or a drop point.
I like the clip standard. the drop points I've seen on most of the 112s i dont care for.

Nothing wrong with a plain old Buck knife. To me, the upgrade isn't worth it. I have both clip and drop points and I would say, that if you use it hard, the drop point might be a better choice. That being said, I prefer the clip. Tradition, I suppose.

whyj4Wql.jpg

Last edited:
I like the clip standard. the drop points I've seen on most of the 112s i dont care for.

Nothing wrong with a plain old Buck knife. To me, the upgrade isn't worth it. I have both clip and drop points and I would say, that if you use it hard, the drop point might be a better choice. That being said, I prefer the clip. Tradition, I suppose.

whyj4Wql.jpg
You're both right. I definitely prefer the clip on the 112, the drop point is tempting if only because I don't have one currently

I used to prefer S30V and Nickel bolsters. But after I learned that 420HC is tougher.
I wonder what the direct trade off is? Do you really think it's that much more brittle? Or the trade off in composition is so negligible its not wort the up tick in cost?

P.s. long live the Buck 124.

There is a reason a lot of folks pay for upgraded steels. I personally think the best is S35VN on the Slim Pro plus. A fantastic steel and there was a few drop point versions. I think a good comparison would be Hemi V8's..All 3 will get from A to B great but I like the SRT and Hellcat versions more. High performance costs more sometimes a lot for just a little better performance. But Bucks 420 IS a great steel especially at Bucks price point. A Nickel silver black G-10 Pro or Pro plus112 is a great looking ,great performing knife but will cost more.

I wonder what the direct trade off is? Do you really think it's that much more brittle? Or the trade off in composition is so negligible its not wort the up tick in cost?

420 is tough in that the blade is less likely to break, but doesn't hold an edge as well. Which isn't to say s30v isn't tough, just not as much, but much better edge retention.

See I almost always carried 3 knives. The belt worn Buck 110 was my anniversary knife. It was sterilized and as sharp as a scalpel. A great gentlemens knife you could preform surgery with or could have used on steak in a restaurant like I have. My second knife was a Kit Carson spear point that was to soft for box work. But it was a sharp pointy modified pig sticker that was clean enough for food processing at work or a quick right handed pocket knife. And the 3rd one was a Ken Onion 1999 frost something or another. It was cheap and hard to sharpen recurve. But it was a left pocket cardboard knife, bubblegum scraper that I had no feeling for. Damn thing was durable and slim though. The knife I hated and couldn't throw away lol.

Bucks 154cm was always a curiosity but never bought it.

Tl:dr... I never got any serious use time with the 110hc and I wouldn't. It's a daily backup for emergency not a daily worker like my others.

Thanks for your service, and return home safe.

I really like the 112. Even more than the 110 by a tiny bit. It's an enjoyable knife to work with, and that little bit of extra finger guard really brings out the utility.

I just ordered another one in 420hc and finger grooves. As mentioned earlier by jbmonkey jbmonkey the spear point doesn't look as great on the 112 as its does on the 110.

Thanks for your service, and return home safe.

I really like the 112. Even more than the 110 by a tiny bit. It's an enjoyable knife to work with, and that little bit of extra finger guard really brings out the utility.

I just ordered another one in 420hc and finger grooves. As mentioned earlier by jbmonkey jbmonkey the spear point doesn't look as great on the 112 as its does on the 110.
I definitely agree with that the spear point looks much better on the 110. Hmm that makes me wonder how a drop point would like on a 112FG...

Tougher rather than longer edge holding is just easier to deal with in my use. Easier to sharpen a slightly rolled edge, than when it's chipped; totally personal opinion of course. And I don't mind sharpening a little more.

Very much agree !

While it’s not a fg maybe this will give an idea how the 112 drop point looks.

Attachments

• 6B4BB451-19FF-4EC4-B5F2-772094289286.jpeg
    6B4BB451-19FF-4EC4-B5F2-772094289286.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 27
I have and like both.

Today I'm toting the standard. It gives up a little edge durability, no worries when I have access to my whetstones. I like the aesthetics and feel of it better than the Pro.

The Pro's advantage is the edge retention which is nice on a long trip where sharpening is inconvenient or impossible. I believe I can get the S30V steel sharper than the 420HC. The G10 is nice when you're elbows deep in guts.

If I could only have, take or afford one, it would be the Pro. I'd sure miss the standard though.

Back