Buck Buck 112 Slim Select:

Quiet

"That Guy"
Platinum Member
Good afternoon friends! I have another quick knife review here for you, this time on the Buck 112 Slim Select. I'd like to apologize in advance for wasting your time, and I'll do so by putting the TL;DR up front. LOL

TL;DR Version: A cheap knife that's actually worth LESS than you paid, I can't in good conscience recommend it.

With that out of the way, let's get into the particulars. So, I purchased this knife new-in-package from my local Academy Sports store, and had planned to give it away as part of a White Elephant Exchange gift at a company party I was going to. I paid $25. Well, when I looked more closely at the knife in the clamshell packaging (under lighting at home that was better than at the store, oddly), I pulled the plug on that idea pretty quickly. I opened the knife to get a better look at it, and this is what I found.

The Good:
- Very light. This is as expected, given the "glass filled nylon" scales and 3 inch blade length.

- The orange color was good.

- The molded detail in the scales is crisp and sharp.

- The deep-carry clip as standard was nice, and I wish more companies offered a DCC as standard fare!

- The handle shape does feel good in the hand, it locks in, and the clip doesn't pose a hotspot when gripped tightly. Decent design there.

And that's about it. Alright, onto the could be bett...heh, no, onto the Bad.

The Bad:
- The grind. The grind on this blade is so hilariously poor, it's amazing that it passed QC and it's a flat out insult that they're putting "Proudly made in the USA" right there on the front of the package. Poor quality is poor quality no matter where it was built, simple as that. There's a serious case of "404: Pride Not Found" going on here. What? Oh, how bad is the grind? THE TIP CAME ROUNDED. Heh, yeah, see the pics below.

- The grind (again). This is a brand new knife, in the package, that I bought directly from a retailer, and it came dull. As in, I can run my finger across it dull. And, as this knife came sealed in a plastic clamshelled package, this specific knife actually left the factory like this. "Proudly made in America". Buck, come on, man.

- Why is the handle to blade ratio so wonky? This knife could easily have a 3.5 inch blade, but they decided that a 3 inch blade, with the entire end full of a backspacer/buttplate was more appropriate. What? For a knife trying to be small, it should be smaller.

- Why is there a "nipple" at the join between the back of the blade and the lockbar? It's too small to use as any sort of effective thumb ramp, and I do not understand it as a design element. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that both the blade tang and the lockbar were joined together while both were still forge hot, and then allowed to cool that way, smooshed together. It's just such poor fitment.

- The action of this knife is bad. Like $10 gas station knife bad. I guess I am just used to other guys like Kershaw giving you more knife for your money. This knife should have been a $15 knife tops, at which point, all my gripes would have been easily handwaved away.

- The blade finish is a stonewash, but it's splotchy and poorly done. Now, I had noticed this in the package when at the store, but at the time I actually thought it was shadows caused by the light being refracted through the clamshell packaging. Nope, there are shadows in the stonewash.

- The blade came distinctly off-center. A minor gripe, as I could probably mess with the pivot pin and sort it out.

So, two things in closing. One, I have bought so many Buck knives in my life that I feel like this is just where they are in quality at this point. Hell, I had to stop giving away Spitfires to Scouts because of how many of them came with lockrock and blade-play that couldn't be dialed out. So, this (in my experience) is the level of product they're allowing to be sent to retail at this point. Two, this entire review should be taken as tongue-in-cheek by me, because I understand that this is a cheap, disposable product and clearly is considered so by Buck as well. "You want quality? Spend more money!" Hey, I got it, totally on the same page. BUT: if that's your mindset, Buck, then maybe tone down the whole "Proudly made in America". What kind of message does that send?

One final thing: I actually had bought two knives. This Buck 112 and a Gerber Straightlace for only a few dollars more than the 112. That (Chinese made) slipjoint is a superior knife in every respect over the 112 Slim Select. Fit, finish, action, and so on. That was more disappointing than anything else.

Thanks for reading, and candidly, my advice would be, if you need a cheap knife that will still have SOME measure of quality to it, look elsewhere, maybe one of the Cold Steels in that price range, or even a (man, I hate to say it) Gerber.

Let's end with some pictures:

That tip, tho!!!

That centering, tho!!!

Interesting "moosh" section:

Last edited:
Damn, that sucks. My father got me a 110 Slim Pro for Xmas last year and it's been one of my favorites since I got it. Definitely disappointing that the lower end one you got was SO much lower end. I hope that's not indicative of the quality on all of 'em because it would honestly be really nice to have a solid, U.S. made blade to recommend in that price range.

Wow, that's sad to hear. I've always had excellent quality from Buck, but its been years since I've bought one.

Last edited:
Kinda sounds like nitpicking to me... it's still a good bang for the Buck (sorry). Get a regular or Custom Shop 112 if you want a better grade.

That's your opinion, and you're welcome to it. A knife like this that's supposed to be made with pride at this price point simply doesn't stack up to others in this same price point made elsewhere, and that's pretty sad. Also, if the expectation is that I need to spend more money in order to purchase quality that should be there regardless of price well, that means Buck's not a great knife company. If you have a company that makes something, the regard for quality should be there regardless of what the product is. You'll notice that I did not make any negative comments about the materials. That's because this knife is made of quality materials, and a decent steel for this price point. It was just put together and finished out by someone who doesn't care about doing their job well.

Thanks for the review :thumbsup: Anyone know if the 112 slim pro is any better? I've seen mixed reviews... more info is always better.

The problem is for that $25 you can get a much better quality knife w/out question. I happen to agree w/ Quiet Quiet , it wouldn't take a lot of effort for Buck to make that knife worth the $25 they're asking for it. There are some Bucks that are, IMO good, but when it's such a crap shoot I tend to just steer clear of all of them. It's dissapointing to me to see examples of USA quality so poor. I want to buy USA but when there's such a disparity of quality price for price compared to overseas products there's no incentive to do so just to say you did. To me there's value is purchasing domestic products but when the ROI is so upside down is makes no sense.

I have bad luck with Buck in all but the 110. And even that model has been hit or miss. I wish they would pay better attention to the functionality of their folders. With the exception of some of the 110 models I’ve had, they all have had with up and down or down or side play, or sometimes both.

It’s unfortunate, it seems they could take a bit more time to perfect the tolerances and have a vastly better product. I’d definitely pay more if I knew I could count on them to have a finished product out of the box.

Also, I can’t believe they took the time to update and modernize the 112 and 110 and still used pinned construction. At least making the pivot adjustable would have been a great improvement.

Last edited:
I have bad luck with Buck in all but the 110. And even that model has been hit or miss. I wish they would pay better attention to the functionality of their folders. With the exception of some of the 110 models I’ve had, they all have had with up and down or down or side play, or sometimes both.

It’s unfortunate, it seems they could take a bit more time to perfect the tolerances and have a vastly better product. I’d definitely pay more if I knew I could count on them to have a finished product out of the box.

Also, I can’t believe they took the time to update and modernize the 112 and 110 and still used pinned construction. At least making the pivot adjustable would have been a great improvement.
New pro version is adjustable.

Good afternoon friends! I have another quick knife review here for you, this time on the Buck 112 Slim Select. I'd like to apologize in advance for wasting your time, and I'll do so by putting the TL;DR up front. LOL

TL;DR Version: A cheap knife that's actually worth LESS than you paid, I can't in good conscience recommend it.

With that out of the way, let's get into the particulars. So, I purchased this knife new-in-package from my local Academy Sports store, and had planned to give it away as part of a White Elephant Exchange gift at a company party I was going to. I paid $25. Well, when I looked more closely at the knife in the clamshell packaging (under lighting at home that was better than at the store, oddly), I pulled the plug on that idea pretty quickly. I opened the knife to get a better look at it, and this is what I found.

The Good:
- Very light. This is as expected, given the "glass filled nylon" scales and 3 inch blade length.

- The orange color was good.

- The molded detail in the scales is crisp and sharp.

- The deep-carry clip as standard was nice, and I wish more companies offered a DCC as standard fare!

- The handle shape does feel good in the hand, it locks in, and the clip doesn't pose a hotspot when gripped tightly. Decent design there.

And that's about it. Alright, onto the could be bett...heh, no, onto the Bad.

The Bad:
- The grind. The grind on this blade is so hilariously poor, it's amazing that it passed QC and it's a flat out insult that they're putting "Proudly made in the USA" right there on the front of the package. Poor quality is poor quality no matter where it was built, simple as that. There's a serious case of "404: Pride Not Found" going on here. What? Oh, how bad is the grind? THE TIP CAME ROUNDED. Heh, yeah, see the pics below.

- The grind (again). This is a brand new knife, in the package, that I bought directly from a retailer, and it came dull. As in, I can run my finger across it dull. And, as this knife came sealed in a plastic clamshelled package, this specific knife actually left the factory like this. "Proudly made in America". Buck, come on, man.

- Why is the handle to blade ratio so wonky? This knife could easily have a 3.5 inch blade, but they decided that a 3 inch blade, with the entire end full of a backspacer/buttplate was more appropriate. What? For a knife trying to be small, it should be smaller.

- Why is there a "nipple" at the join between the back of the blade and the lockbar? It's too small to use as any sort of effective thumb ramp, and I do not understand it as a design element. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that both the blade tang and the lockbar were joined together while both were still forge hot, and then allowed to cool that way, smooshed together. It's just such poor fitment.

- The action of this knife is bad. Like $10 gas station knife bad. I guess I am just used to other guys like Kershaw giving you more knife for your money. This knife should have been a $15 knife tops, at which point, all my gripes would have been easily handwaved away.

- The blade finish is a stonewash, but it's splotchy and poorly done. Now, I had noticed this in the package when at the store, but at the time I actually thought it was shadows caused by the light being refracted through the clamshell packaging. Nope, there are shadows in the stonewash.

- The blade came distinctly off-center. A minor gripe, as I could probably mess with the pivot pin and sort it out.

So, two things in closing. One, I have bought so many Buck knives in my life that I feel like this is just where they are in quality at this point. Hell, I had to stop giving away Spitfires to Scouts because of how many of them came with lockrock and blade-play that couldn't be dialed out. So, this (in my experience) is the level of product they're allowing to be sent to retail at this point. Two, this entire review should be taken as tongue-in-cheek by me, because I understand that this is a cheap, disposable product and clearly is considered so by Buck as well. "You want quality? Spend more money!" Hey, I got it, totally on the same page. BUT: if that's your mindset, Buck, then maybe tone down the whole "Proudly made in America". What kind of message does that send?

One final thing: I actually had bought two knives. This Buck 112 and a Gerber Straightlace for only a few dollars more than the 112. That (Chinese made) slipjoint is a superior knife in every respect over the 112 Slim Select. Fit, finish, action, and so on. That was more disappointing than anything else.

Thanks for reading, and candidly, my advice would be, if you need a cheap knife that will still have SOME measure of quality to it, look elsewhere, maybe one of the Cold Steels in that price range, or even a (man, I hate to say it) Gerber.

Let's end with some pictures:

That tip, tho!!!

That centering, tho!!!

Interesting "moosh" section:

Lol. Are you kidding?

The blade to handle ratio is traditional in the 112, handle for a man, blade short enough to be legal. It's kind of a take it or leave it kind of thing.

Grind doesn't look too bad in your pictures. Since it's 420hc, it's easy to customize.

The bump on the spine has a reason, it's in a thread in the Buck subforum. It doesn't effect function, but some don't like it asthetically and don't buy it. Others file it off.

So what if it's not centered, it's cheap and has plastic handles.

The finish isn't to your liking, but you noticed that before you bought it...

Glad you like Gerber more than Buck.

Why not sharpen the Buck, oil it, and carry it for a week as your only blade, then come back and tell us how bad it was? :)

The blade to handle ratio is traditional in the 112, handle for a man, blade short enough to be legal. It's kind of a take it or leave it kind of thing.

Grind doesn't look too bad in your pictures. Since it's 420hc, it's easy to customize.

The bump on the spine has a reason, it's in a thread in the Buck subforum. It doesn't effect function, but some don't like it asthetically and don't buy it. Others file it off.

So what if it's not centered, it's cheap and has plastic handles.

The finish isn't to your liking, but you noticed that before you bought it...

Glad you like Gerber more than Buck.

Why not sharpen the Buck, oil it, and carry it for a week as your only blade, then come back and tell us how bad it was? :)

Nah, I've made up my mind on it, as detailed in my review. It's had a working edge put on it, but at the end of the day, there's just nothing about it that makes it worthy of carrying. It's poorly done, and a sad example of what Buck believes to be quality.

good review I think, I share your concerns, but still, it's only about $23

show me a list of knives for that price which have better quality?

Kershaw makes any number of them. Same with Gerber. Made in China, but better quality, better grinds, etc. Irritating, really.

An honest review that's bound to ruffle a few feathers. The glaring imperfections are indeed troublesome, and stand out in the accompanying photos. Buck's QC really dropped the ball, and the ramp pimple is a real eye sore. It serves no purpose, so it should've been omitted.

Kershaw is the main brand i'd suggest. They have a good number of them for less than or right around the 25 dollar mark. Hell, add 7 or 8 more bucks and you can easily get some of the really solid Kershaw, american made, designs.

But i get the review for sure. The knife itself isnt really bad, his main gripe seems to be that Buck loves to flaunt the American made knives, but there are tons of options at that price point that are just better quality at this point. Most of them not american made.

Am I the only person here that likes the "moosh"? That being said quality control on lower end U.S. made knives has gotten bad. I won't even buy Case knive anymore. I've bought 4 of their knives, I gave away 3 because the blades wobbled, closed and open. The one I kept had to be sent to the factory to be fixed (it was brand new) The blade was shaving the edge of the brass liner when it closed. When I got it back the blade hadn't even been centered and the handle was scuffed up.

Back