Buck 112 Slim Thumbstuds Are Loose

My Buck 112 Slim is almost a year old and I carry it quite often. It's mainly used for light cutting tasks. Anyway today I was clipping it to my pocket when I noticed a rattle sound. I inspect it closely and it seems like the thumbstuds have loosened up and are spinning freely. I know these were tight before–so I have no idea how this happened. Is there a way for me to fix this? Most of my knives are traditional slipjoints or lockbacks. I don't know much about thumbstuds and can't figure out how these are put together, whether they are screwed together or clamped.

I only have experience with a Bantam stud but they look the same. They're compression fit and a light hammer tap on a smooth surface should fix it.

There pressed in I laid mine on a piece of brass and hit it with a brass hammer. A vice would work better I think

Thanks guys, I will try that when I get home. Any idea what could have caused them to get loose? I had a Kwik thumbstud on a 110 for years that was a simple accessory and it never came loose.

IDK why, but mine just fell out. Buck requested I send it in but I requested that they just send me a stud and they complied.

If it happens again maybe try some locktite green bearing mount formula. It is made for keeping bearing and shafts solid in loose fitting mounts that have a lot of movement or vibration. It will still come apart if and when you want it to as it doesn’t adhere like the red formula does.

Back