Buck 118 Sambar Stag

I am not a great picture taker, but.........Got my LE in the mail today. It must have come across the country on a rocket ship. I have wanted a Buck Sambar Stag fixed blade knife for a long time. In fact, I thought they had quit using Sambar Stag and only offered Elk. The file work isn't much to speak of, but it is better than none. I believe they picked me out a good one! Thanks Buck!!
Larry

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

Nice score. And a very handsome knife.

Show it off over in the Buck forum. That’s too pretty to keep hidden in one forum :):thumbsup::thumbsup:

You are right, I showed it there too.

Very nicely done, didn't know buck offered stag handled knives. Do they offer other models with stag as well?

I think right now, you can get Elk horn handles through the Custom Shop on a few knives. I believe Sambar Stag was the “go to" stag handle material for years, but now it is hard to obtain in larger pieces, so Elk is used. Sambar Stag is much denser and heavier without as much pith as Elk. That, and the fact that it can have a lot of bark and mellows in color nicely over time makes it very desirable. I love Sambar Stag on knives and gun grips. No two are ever alike. You folks please correct me if anything I said is incorrect. JMO.

Tongueriver,
Great 102 knife, how long have you had that one?
Larry

Last edited:
Back