Buck 120 in 420 HC or 5160

I am about to buy a Buck General. Which steel would you prefer? I am tending towards the carbon steel. I wonder how 5160 holds an edge compared to 420HC. Will I notice any difference?

Thanks for you input.

ml100

I have several 5160 Buck knives, I haven't used them to any great extent. Most of my experience has been with their 420HC. I would say that your main concern would be how you are going to care for and use the knife. Buck's Bos heat treat is very good on every thing they do, edge holding would not be my concern between the two steels. Both are easy to sharpen. 5160 being carbon steel, rust will be it's constant enemy. 420HC is much more forgiving and doesn't need the maintenance that 5160 does. JMHO.

There are lots of threads on this very topic.
Myself the choice would be more about what I want to do with the knife.
If I planned on abusing and chopping with it, as in a camp setting, I would go with the 5160.
If I planned to use it to process game/ cut meat I would go 420hc.
I feel they are pretty comparable in ease of sharpening and edge retention, tho I really do like the toothy edge you can put on a carbon steel knife.
I think big blades make sense with 5160. If you like it, go with that. The only thing I ever do with my 120 is cut meat, so I have the 420hc.
Myself I keep eyeing the 124 5160. That is one cool knife.
Get the one you want. If you don't you'll always compare your choice back to the one you wanted.

Thanks for your fast replies. I don't mind taking care of carbon steel. Actually, I thought about gun-blueing the blade, which wouldn't work with 420HC.

That would be cool. it might need some touch up with use but, so what.

Carbon steel is easy to touch up, and will patina, if you like patina. You will have to care for it with oil regularly, specifically if it gets wet.

I like both.

Given a choice of carbon steel and stain-less steel, I usually pick the carbon steel.
I like patina, especially on a mirror polished blades. The patina helps eliminate the formation of those loathsome fingerprints and smudges.

As for the allegation that "carbon steel taints the taste of food..."
I've never noticed any difference in taste if the meat or veggie was cut with a carbon steel blade or a stain-less one.
When I was still cooking for myself, my preferred and most used "kitchen knives" were Old carbon steel hunting knives. (with and without a patina) My cleaver and paring knife were Old Hickory.
For the most part, my stain-less knives stayed in the drawer.

Personally, I believe any difference in taste is between the eater's ears when s/he knows a carbon steel knife was used.
In over 55 years of doing the cooking, I never had anyone who was not there (or even was there, and didn't pay attention to the cutlery used) when the meal was prepared say "You cut/chopped/sliced/diced this with a carbon steel knife! I can taste it!"

Personally, I believe any difference in taste is between the eater's ears when s/he knows a carbon steel knife was used.
In over 55 years of doing the cooking, I never had anyone who was not there (or even was there, and didn't pay attention to the cutlery used) when the meal was prepared say "You cut/chopped/sliced/diced this with a carbon steel knife! I can taste it!"
I have to disagree.
I can definitely taste the metal more with a carbon blade...especially if it's fruit like an apple.
Steak doesn't seem as affected, but chicken and fish...yep, I can taste the carbon.

depends on what your going to do with the knife? 5160 is tougher, so any kind of harder but still normal knife use harder user......I'd go that route. 5160 sharpens easily. keeps a decent edge in my experience. 420hc keeps it a bit longer, but not enough to matter. I like 5160 myself it's a good knife steel.

depends on what your going to do with the knife? 5160 is tougher, so any kind of harder but still normal knife use harder user......I'd go that route. 5160 sharpens easily. keeps a decent edge in my experience. 420hc keeps it a bit longer, but not enough to matter. I like 5160 myself it's a good knife steel.

Agreed. I like 1095 for the same reasons.

Hands down I prefer a stainless steel fixed blade knife for using purposes in field, camp, hunting, and fishing. That said, from a Buck collectors point of view I would buy the 5160 right now - it won’t be around forever, probably be gone when this run is out, you can come back a year or two from now and buy a standard catalog 420HC version. OH

The model 120 was the second Buck knife I purchased in 1981 or 82. Just a great knife and it takes a great edge. A very useful size and 440C blade steel. Some of the carbon steels do impart a foul taste to items cut with them. I have built knives using 01 steel and that one does impart
a noticeable taste to fruit. But not all carbon steels are that bad. So, purchase it if you want. That steel will likely go away and not be used again for some time. Another factor. DM

I've never noticed a carbon steel knife imparting any flavor or discoloration to food.
Is it due to the patina on the knives I use?
Maybe because I grew up with them I don't even notice.

Doesn't cast iron contain more carbon than carbon steel?
I love my cast iron fry pan. Some mighty good things come from that.

Same here...never noticed any difference with carbon blades.
Don’t mind keeping them oiled & ez to touch up in the field if needed.

I've never noticed a carbon steel knife imparting any flavor or discoloration to food.
Is it due to the patina on the knives I use?
Maybe because I grew up with them I don't even notice.

Doesn't cast iron contain more carbon than carbon steel?
I love my cast iron fry pan. Some mighty good things come from that.
A seasoned cast iron pan for frying won’t change the taste but if you use a cast iron pot to make chili that has tomatoes or anything acidic it reacts with the iron and you will taste it. It depends on how you maintain the non stainless pan or blade and what you use it on and if you keep it oiled. If you’re cutting acidic foods they will react with the iron in the blade. Even stainless used on higher acidic foods will impart a taste as any metal that reacts with acid but stainless is lesser to notice. It’s a chemical reaction.

GPyro GPyro - you are a Knut! Hope your tongue heals up soon! Carbon Steel will definitely impart a flavor. I have a CV Steel Case Junior Sodbuster on my desk that I use exclusively to cut apples to eat - I can really taste (and smell) the “something extra” the blade imparts to the fruit. With a stainless steel blade you don’t get that. Just give it a try and you will see. OH

^yep. carbon has a taste with fruits like an apple. stainless doesnt.

Ps. What’s a thread about Generals without a picture of some Generals? OH
The-Generals.jpg

Last edited:
Back