Buck 121 needs TLC

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-ZZ5HZQ/

Previous owner scratched his name all over this knife (see above pix). Both sides of blade, all 4 sides of handle, even the back of the bolster.

Recommendations for polishing it out?

I have Permatex Valve Grinding Compound (120, 150, 180, & 220 grit) and Simichrome Polish. Can I use those on a 5" cotton buff? Will they work on the blade, handle, and bolster?
What's the handle made of?
I presume the bolster is aluminium?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm new to knife collecting and new to the forum.

Thanks

handle is phenolic. that can be sanded and polished. be careful though not to overdo it more than needed. bolster is aluminum, but I seem to remember they have a hollow spot in them so don't go crazy removing more than needed.

blade I can't tell stamp or year of it but 121 id think would be 440c or 425m..ill let the 121 experts straighten me out on that.

you could always send to Buck and have them do work on it for small fee, but read the directions carefully so ya understand the process and system and get results your looking for. hope that helps.

welcome to the forum, almost forgot my manners and 121 is a great knife. heck of a first post model wise.

I modified a pommel on a 121 and hit a void It’s the width of the tang the horn was solid I drilled a thong hole and did not hit any voids Hope this helps Good luck

view

view

Last edited:
If I had yours I would send it to Buck for a spa treatment. I bet it will come back looking new. Those old 121’s are such great users.
This ^^^
OR
Use it as a test subject for any mods you always wanted to try and didn't wanna mess up a new knife...

I havn't used a cotton buff but I don't know why that wouldn't work.
If it was mine i'd start with 120 grit sandpaper on the handle and pommel only as needed and where needed don't get carried away it just creates more work, easier if you have an orbital sander. Then go finer till you are satisfied.
I didn't see pictures of blade to see how deep it is etched, but basically the same treatment.

Back