Buck 212

cut it out

Gold Member
anyone use this for a hunting knife? It seems she would make a dandy big game hunting knife. I’m gonna swing for one next season as I have a few new ones I need to try out this year. Do any one use there’s and how did ya like it.

Good question Cut'.
I've been kicking that around myself.
I fear it doesn't have enough of a drop point for me....... But it is a sweet knife.
Not too big.
I wish the sheath were better tho..

It's a superbly shaped blade that is extremely pleasing to the eye.

Those of us who used the 110 to gut out dozens of deer have no worries about the lack of a drop point.

Drop points ARE good (actually preferable for the novice).......but you can get along just fine with the traditional clip point if you know how to be careful not to make a cut to the gut that you didn't want.

The 212: Better looking than any spade point, but maybe slightly harder to use in field dressing an animal.

We all choose what we love, but some of us love beauty more than pragmatism.

Yes, life is far too short to carry an ugly knife or carry an ugly gun or marry an ugly woman.

I took my 212 in D2 last week didn’t get to use it on any animal they done had the bear field dressed when I went to help drag it I carried it on my belt with a custom sheath made by Mike and it’s like having nothing on At all I set comfortable in a tree stand and on the ground and in my hammock seat.

By the way, ALL drop points are not ugly.

Some are artfully done and some look like spades.

But the classic shape of the 212 blade is quite beautiful to me.

Love it.

I haven't used a Buck 212 to clean a deer yet, but the blade has the same sweep as a Buck 118 and I promise you that sweep makes for a deer skinning machine! I find wider blades get in my way when working inside the typical whitetail around here (80 - 120 lbs. on the hoof is a big doe) - that's why I like the 118 so much - working inside and deboning meat. Now, a wide blade (like a Buck 103 and the new 212) is perfect for skinning and will work for deboning - many times I use two knives to accomplish the total task, but with the 118 I can stick to one knife for the entire job. OH
Ps The Buck 212 just looks like a Classic Hunting Knife from the 1920's or so - it's got charisma!

I haven't used a Buck 212 to clean a deer yet, but the blade has the same sweep as a Buck 118 and I promise you that sweep makes for a deer skinning machine! I find wider blades get in my way when working inside the typical whitetail around here (80 - 120 lbs. on the hoof is a big doe) - that's why I like the 118 so much - working inside and deboning meat. Now, a wide blade (like a Buck 103 and the new 212) is perfect for skinning and will work for deboning - many times I use two knives to accomplish the total task, but with the 118 I can stick to one knife for the entire job. OH
Ps The Buck 212 just looks like a Classic Hunting Knife from the 1920's or so - it's got charisma!

It's true.

The 118 has a thin and nimble blade for fine work inside.

I'd carry the 212 for looks and skinning and the 118 for the rest.

:)

Thanks guys for your opinions. It is a good looking knife and the size looks good. I do admit I prefer drop points also mainly but this just calls to me. The tip reminds me of my Randall model 3-5 hunter a lot. Compare it to bucklife301 pic below and you can see it compared to my Randall. very similar
PFf1Mtt.jpg
upload_2019-10-15_23-26-2.jpeg

I love all my Buck knives. The 212 is my favorite edc fixed blade. The 124 my favorite big Buck.

If I owned that Randall I’d be done looking for hunting knives.

that may be the next one I order.

I love all my Buck knives. The 212 is my favorite edc fixed blade. The 124 my favorite big Buck.

If I owned that Randall I’d be done looking for hunting knives.

that may be the next one I order.

Ordered one last night because of this thread, seems great like it should be great and I hope They end up adding it to the line like they did with the 101 which iirc started as a C&C exclusive ?
Sheath looks a bit chintzy compared what I'm used to from Buck, but as a lefty I have to make my own anyways.

Skblades has a real good deal on a W2 steel version with Micarta handle,

Just a thought, I could cut the top belt slot /keeper off stitch a new one to the other side and I'd have a left handed sheath with the flag and Made in USA stamp showing.

Skblades has a real good deal on a W2 steel version with Micarta handle,

Any idea what these are HRC? I was surprised not to see hardness figures, granted it's W2, but I assume it's tempered . . . Also curious if Buck has figures on their sourcing for steel since carbon can vary so widely in the alloy. I don't know much about metallurgy, but I'm looking for a gift and it could make a difference. Still nice deal at Sk. Thanks for the heads up!

Back