Buck 212

Any idea what these are HRC? I was surprised not to see hardness figures, granted it's W2, but I assume it's tempered . . . Also curious if Buck has figures on their sourcing for steel since carbon can vary so widely in the alloy. I don't know much about metallurgy, but I'm looking for a gift and it could make a difference. Still nice deal at Sk. Thanks for the heads up!
Bos Heat Treated W2 Tool Steel: W2 is a Water hardening tool steel popular with custom knife makers, beginners and seasoned experts alike. Maximum working hardness is in 63-65 HrC, W2 has good edge holding and cutting performance with a thin edge and moderate toughness depending on the heat treatment. High carbon, low chromium gives no added corrosion resistance. Maintain accordingly. Paul Bos heat treat is one of the best and enhances performance all around.

Isn’t the 212 at sk a D2

Oh thanks! Haha my noobness... I was looking on a few sites to try to find hardness and I was looking at another 212 made in W2 and got confused in the process.
I guess same question though. Any idea what hardness this was heat treated to or source of D2 (e.g. Bohler K110/Crucible)? Probably the only way to find out is to contact Buck, since I didn't see it on product info on SK and it's not listed on Buck as far as I can tell.

Oh thanks! Haha my noobness... I was looking on a few sites to try to find hardness and I was looking at another 212 made in W2 and got confused in the process.
I guess same question though. Any idea what hardness this was heat treated to or source of D2 (e.g. Bohler K110/Crucible)? Probably the only way to find out is to contact Buck, since I didn't see it on product info on SK and it's not listed on Buck as far as I can tell.
Rockwell on the D2 112 is 58-60!

Oh great. Bucklife is selling 212's now.
Did you lose your 112 Pro?:rolleyes:

Dang it. now I gotta get me one of those 212's.
Thanks Buddy. (I'm really just looking for someone to blame you know).

I got a nice one from Mike but I can't bring myself to take it into the woods.
I don't know if I like the knife more, or the sheath.

Last edited:
No didn’t lose the 112 pro picked it up yesterday and done the usual opening and closing for a little while making sure it still works properly

If I thought Mike had those 212 sheaths in stock I would have already ordered the knife.

If you win the lottery I'm just gonna have to quit hanging out here!

Well his inbox is full.

I wish bucklife would start selling alpha minis in premium steel.......

Last edited:
I have resisted the Buck draw for a while but had to do the SK buy. Need to get it here and then see if I can get a nice pouch sheath made for it as sadly, the factory one seems a bit lacking. Does look like a great blade and well done by Buck and SK.

Back