Buck 650

Xr6x

Basic Member
I've still have not seen another like this?
IMG_1412.JPG IMG_1413.JPG IMG_1414.JPG IMG_1415.JPG IMG_1416.JPG
Bought this new some years back it was coated black was wiping some guns with wd40 and when done gave a wipe to my knife . I saw that the black coating was coming off from the wd40 so off it is. Don't know why wd40 had that effect . When I purchased it I had know idea it had the part serrated edge or part of the limited run of 750.o_O

Last edited:
I've not seen that model/variation either and I have most of them. Nice catch! Not sure why the finish came off like that?

Was the WD-40 you were using the 'Speciality' oil with rust break free? A nice find. DM

Found this. Not exactly, just similar

Zoom
Buck Knives-B655-ODX Short Nighthawk Tactical Fixed Blade Knife, 4-7/8'' Part Serrated Blade, Rubberized Grip Handles, With Nylon Sheath
Previous ProductNext Product
  • Be the first to review this product

SRP $69.00
    AVAILABILITY: OUT OF STOCK

The Buck Short Nighthawk 655 is a short fixed blade knife with a easy-to-grip handle. Just like its big brother, the 650 Nighthawk, it is rugged, reliable and durable. The Short Nighthawk is a compact, fixed blade knife with a dramatic, olive and black non-slip grip handle. Buck Knife is world renown for superior style, smooth action and durability. Often used as hunting knives, their functionality also extends to pocket knives, tactical and outdoor knives as well as many other uses. We sell every Buck knife at low discounted prices you will not get anywhere else. We only carry Buck, which means we process and ship all Buck knives fast so you can get cuttin' with your new Buck knife in a hurry. Buck 655ODX item description: This model, the Buck Short Nighthawk, OD - B655ODX comes equipped with a heavy duty molded nylon sheath. Protects both the knife and the curious at the same time. The blade has a combo edge for versitility and is 4.88" long. Made from 420HC Black Stainless Steel. The locking mechanism is in the LockBack style, further intensifies the safety level. The handle is made from Molded Nylon with a rubberized inlay to protect you from sliipping while using the knife. The handle is 5.48", and the entire tool is 10.36" long.

Badhammer might have some info as well.

BadhammerGold MemberGold Member
Jun 8, 2009
Another great show this Sunday!

Here are my Nighthawks. I didn't include any duplicates and omitted my Pigstickers as I'm currently focused on just the standard production models before Tops got involved.

DSCF0796_zpsndagtzet.jpg

DSCF0797_zps925gxpiy.jpg

DSCF0798_zpsaxoqedqe.jpg

I think the only versions I'm missing are the 655BXB which is the partially serrated clip point with black oxide blade and black handle. The 652ODS-B Bravo with the BESH wedge blade from 2009 and the 655BX from 1997. The catalog for that year shows the 655BX in two different photos as having a black handle with black oxide coated clip point blade with serrations from tip to hilt. I've never seen this actual model as the only ones I've seen or have are partially serrated. I suspect Buck used the photo in the catalog and for what ever reason went with partial serrations on the actual production run. Any way I'm keeping my eye out for one just in case.

Not sure what attracted me to the Nighthawk line but I can say that they are a great model and IMHO a highly underrated model at that. A lot of bang for the Buck (pun intended) in this model.

Found this. Not exactly, just similar

Zoom
Buck Knives-B655-ODX Short Nighthawk Tactical Fixed Blade Knife, 4-7/8'' Part Serrated Blade, Rubberized Grip Handles, With Nylon Sheath
Previous ProductNext Product
  • Be the first to review this product

SRP $69.00
    AVAILABILITY: OUT OF STOCK

The Buck Short Nighthawk 655 is a short fixed blade knife with a easy-to-grip handle. Just like its big brother, the 650 Nighthawk, it is rugged, reliable and durable. The Short Nighthawk is a compact, fixed blade knife with a dramatic, olive and black non-slip grip handle. Buck Knife is world renown for superior style, smooth action and durability. Often used as hunting knives, their functionality also extends to pocket knives, tactical and outdoor knives as well as many other uses. We sell every Buck knife at low discounted prices you will not get anywhere else. We only carry Buck, which means we process and ship all Buck knives fast so you can get cuttin' with your new Buck knife in a hurry. Buck 655ODX item description: This model, the Buck Short Nighthawk, OD - B655ODX comes equipped with a heavy duty molded nylon sheath. Protects both the knife and the curious at the same time. The blade has a combo edge for versitility and is 4.88" long. Made from 420HC Black Stainless Steel. The locking mechanism is in the LockBack style, further intensifies the safety level. The handle is made from Molded Nylon with a rubberized inlay to protect you from sliipping while using the knife. The handle is 5.48", and the entire tool is 10.36" long.
I've got this one. It and the all black Tanto 653 are the only serrated models I have and have seen other than a fully serrated 655 BX as noted in my post above, that I don't think ever made it into production though I believe it was shown in the catalog one year.

I've not seen that model/variation either and I have most of them. Nice catch! Not sure why the finish came off like that?
I thought I would have seen another by now, Great knife. It bummed me out to see the black coming off at first but the steel still has a dark look .
Was the WD-40 you were using the 'Speciality' oil with rust break free? A nice find. DM
No it was just plain old WD40. It sure took what ever that coating was off in a hurry. Wish I New what Buck used to make this mod. 650 black and if it was meant to come off. Thank You DM

Last edited:
I've always seen the black coating referred to / defined as "black oxide". Not sure what it actually is or how it's applied? I use Corrosion X on all my firearms and blades with the exception of those that might come into contact with food in which case I use mineral oil. The Corrosion X has not harmed the oxide or any other finishes I've used it on.

One like the OP's is either on the bay now, or recently ended...

I've always seen the black coating referred to / defined as "black oxide". Not sure what it actually is or how it's applied? I use Corrosion X on all my firearms and blades with the exception of those that might come into contact with food in which case I use mineral oil. The Corrosion X has not harmed the oxide or any other finishes I've used it on.
Right on, not sure corrosion x was available back than :) but am with you all I use on any of my knives is mineral oil mostly the carbon steel blades but I will wipe crud off stainless with min oil to :thumbsup:

Thank you for posting. I love the Nighthawk line and wish I had bought some of these older versions. I have the 650 that is currently for sale (with the oxygen tank cutouts near the handle). I've abused it more than any other knife I own, and it just keeps asking for more. I've also considered looking into Ka-Bar and Ontario knives, but none of them seem to beat out the blade thickness and value of the Buck Nighthawk. It's easier to sharpen, more resistant to corrosion, and thicker for jobs like batoning and chopping.

I know they've put out "tanto" versions, and a 652 "Bravo" that is shorter and meant for digging. I would love to see these re-introduced or even expanded upon in this era of heightened interest in anything "tactical/survival." Great knife, Buck!

Thank you for posting. I love the Nighthawk line and wish I had bought some of these older versions. I have the 650 that is currently for sale (with the oxygen tank cutouts near the handle). I've abused it more than any other knife I own, and it just keeps asking for more. I've also considered looking into Ka-Bar and Ontario knives, but none of them seem to beat out the blade thickness and value of the Buck Nighthawk. It's easier to sharpen, more resistant to corrosion, and thicker for jobs like batoning and chopping.

I know they've put out "tanto" versions, and a 652 "Bravo" that is shorter and meant for digging. I would love to see these re-introduced or even expanded upon in this era of heightened interest in anything "tactical/survival." Great knife, Buck!

[/QUOTE)
Thanks, the Knighthawk is a cool blade. The KaBar Becker line offers a few in 1/4" most in 3/16" 1095 carbon steel very tough knives . :thumbsup:

Last edited:
WD40 should be safe with most finishes put on knives. It is mineral oil based, with a few additives, I believe. However, something that was inked on will be removed by WD40.

WD40 should be safe with most finishes put on knives. It is mineral oil based, with a few additives, I believe. However, something that was inked on will be removed by WD40.
Yea, I never had any finish harmed by WD40. It was a flat black finish and wiped right off with little effort. Wish I would've called Buck at the time just to see what the black coat was. It still is visible on the serrated part of the blade . The pic isn't showing how dark the the blade still is very well . I actually like the look better but now just curious what the coating was ? I don't think it was ink , I bought this knife brand new from a sporting good store way back. Kind of funny all I just expected a plan edge Knighthawk never opened the box till I got home saw it and thought WTH oh well than I saw the gold #s . This was the first knife I ever bought and not used.

Still a cool knife. I actually like the look of it now that the blade is not so black.

The auction just ended. Hope one of the folks here ended up with this it. #690/750

Back