Buck 700 series

silenthunterstudios

Slipjoint Addict
Platinum Member
After reading the recent article in Knife World, and picking up a 703 at a small show, I think I've found a great series. I have always liked the 301/303 and 371/373 stockmans, among other Buck slipjoint designs. I would like to pick up a 701, maybe a 7 series trapper and 7 series single blade Lancer. Unsure as to the exact steel, but it appears to be a type of carbon steel. The article in Knife World stated that it was a European steel, I have seen auction listings stating it is a carbon steel :confused:. There was a small model listing in Knife World, if anyone else has a list, or better yet, pics, please post them.

The 700 series pocketknives were never made with carbon steel. They are mostly 425M, but some late ones might be 420HC.

There were no Trapper pattern in the 700 series:

701 Bronco 3 blade
703 Colt 3 blade
704 Maverick 1 blade
705 Pony 2 blade
709 Yearling 2 blade

Bear Claw, I would'nt be so sure of the steel. Rusty (the author of that article)and I visited at length about the 700 series while attend Buck's 20yr. reunion. Since those came out in late 1979 it is possible the steel could be Sandivic or 440C. Then later uniformed by production into Buck's 425 steel and in 1994 to 420. But they were not marked and metallurgical testing would be required. DM

Bear Claw, I would'nt be so sure of the steel. Rusty (the author of that article)and I visited at length about the 700 series while attend Buck's 20yr. reunion. Since those came out in late 1979 it is possible the steel could be Sandivic or 440C. Then later uniformed by production into Buck's 425 steel and in 1994 to 420. But they were not marked and metallurgical testing would be required. DM

Sure could, at least 440C if they are early.

Never new Buck ever played with Sandvic steels, I wouldn't mind getting a hold of one if I knew it was. :thumbup:

Thank you Bear Claw. You know I may have a knife w/ Sandvik steel. Its an early 307 and boy it cut and holds an edge well, good toughness too. I've thought a 307 is a good size knife for me. DM

Since this thread concerned the 700 series, I thought this might be a subject to address. It is really hard to find a NIB 701 at a good price. I'm not sure if they didn't make many, but the other 700s are a lot easier to find.

I started with 704s and the others were pretty easy. The pristine 701 is very elusive.

Popcorn, I agree w/ you. Mine are of the very earliest mfg. and they were ALL HARD to find then get my hands on $$$. So, have some patients and enjoy the ride. I hesitate to tell you that I located mine years ago !!( don't hate me) But there still available and worth it as you'll have something not many have. DM

Last edited:
Thank you Bear Claw. You know I may have a knife w/ Sandvik steel. Its an early 307 and boy it cut and holds an edge well, good toughness too. I've thought a 307 is a good size knife for me. DM

307's were all made by Camillus, so nothing would surprise me on what steel was used. Sometimes I think they used whatever the biggest pile out back was! :D

Would be cool to find a way to know for sure if one was Sandvik!

BearClaw, Your correct the 700 series did not make a trapper. Triple E nice pictures of the etched 700's by Aurum. I've actually met Mr. Sam Shortes at Aurum as I grew up there and was interested in knives back in the early 70's (1975). Darn, have I been gone that long? DM

My 703 had the logo script lettering, on both the blade and shield. It would be neat if it is Sandvik steel.

Back