Buck 842 Black and Blue G10

I kinda like the cutouts. looks grippy for thumb placement on fine cutting control. I ordered a couple of these through Larry bcci deal. only thing I'm not thrilled about is the small sized blades. prefer 3.5" or bigger but guess law restrictions in many jurisdictions and peoples preferences for a smaller folder makes more sense for buck to accommodate more than less. still want a larger version.........

Well, upon further discovery, the cutouts that I was seeing are actually more like file work on the top of the blade. I saw a video which offered better views and they don’t look to be uncomfortable after all!

I am
sure about the cutouts on the top of the blade on some of the models, though. Not the shallow spot for the thumb, but the slots. Those look like they will be uncomfortable when you bear down on the top of the blade.
Those cutouts/grooves are called jimping and they are there to keep your thumb from sliding when you beat down on it.

I wait for Buck to have them on their website!

I really like the burlap micarta one. The blue and black is also handsome. I am
sure about the cutouts on the top of the blade on some of the models, though. Not the shallow spot for the thumb, but the slots. Those look like they will be uncomfortable when you bear down on the top of the blade.
I like the look of the burlap as well.
I will say they flip effortlessly. Can't wait to see the whole lineup.

Those cutouts/grooves are called jimping and they are there to keep your thumb from sliding when you beat down on it.
Those are not really jimping. They are more like file work or embellishment.

Thought that I would bring this thread back to life. Today, I picked up a 840 Sprint at my local Buck dealer. Overall it's a nice, lightweight, very smooth action flipper. After spending some time using it, I developed a hot spot in my hand were the tip of the clip lies (see picture with red circle over tip of clip). The fix was easy, put remove the clip and round the tip a bit, then I acid washed the clip because I like the darker appearance that better matches the pivot and screws. The great news is the little bit of metal removal eliminated the hot spot! I'll carry this one a while, may have to get one of the pro versions.

IMG_1384a_edited.jpg IMG_1385_edited.jpg

Thought that I would bring this thread back to life. Today, I picked up a 840 Sprint at my local Buck dealer. Overall it's a nice, lightweight, very smooth action flipper. After spending some time using it, I developed a hot spot in my hand were the tip of the clip lies (see picture with red circle over tip of clip). The fix was easy, put remove the clip and round the tip a bit, then I acid washed the clip because I like the darker appearance that better matches the pivot and screws. The great news is the little bit of metal removal eliminated the hot spot! I'll carry this one a while, may have to get one of the pro versions.

View attachment 1100059 View attachment 1100060
Looks great. Nice job.

Looks factory. Great job. What type of acid did u use?

Still liking that Sprint Select? Ive been eyeballing the Sprint Pro Micarta or the Select to start the Sprint collection. I really like the looks of these Sprints (especially the Micarta) but I also don't own any nylon handled flippers at the moment. So that's why I was thinking about the Select. I also really like Bucks 420HC and the thought of a few swipes on the SharpMaker making it like new again is a bonus!

I finally got the Sprint Pro Burlap Micarta from Buck last week.

Overall, I like the knife. It feels good in my hand. It is a good looking knife and they left the Micarta raw which enhances the grip.

However, I would like a stiffer detente to make the knife "pop" on opening. It flips well using the "push button" method. Using the light switch method, sometimes it fails to open completely.

I would also prefer thicker liners. The locking liner is paper thin. It locks up fine, but I am not 100% faithful in the lock not failing. I am probably wrong, especially considering that it is not really a "hard use" knife. Heck, it might stand up to all kinds of stress.

I finally got the Sprint Pro Burlap Micarta from Buck last week.

Overall, I like the knife. It feels good in my hand. It is a good looking knife and they left the Micarta raw which enhances the grip.

However, I would like a stiffer detente to make the knife "pop" on opening. It flips well using the "push button" method. Using the light switch method, sometimes it fails to open completely.

I would also prefer thicker liners. The locking liner is paper thin. It locks up fine, but I am not 100% faithful in the lock not failing. I am probably wrong, especially considering that it is not really a "hard use" knife. Heck, it might stand up to all kinds of stress.

I agree with most folks. I've had the marbled carbon fiber pro version 841 after it first came out and it's light, a good flipper, easy pocket carry and good EDC in the gentleman's knife type.
I look forward to the days it joins the line up and gets pulled out. That red really pops, handsome knife.

Attachments

• Buck 842.jpg
    Buck 842.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 14
Hey Makael Makael how do you like the tip on the blue/black model? I like the look of the blade, a little less pointy than the other ones. Kind of reminds me of the "improved sheepsfoot" on the griptilian, maybe a spey blade. I feel like it would be a nicer EDC option, as I tend to gravitate towards less pointy models.

I have to say, I really like the burlap sprint. The knife may feel "whimpy" to some, but no worse than a mini-grip, which was right up there as a favorite folder for a long time, very closely behind the spdyerco native, but now I think this is at least tied with the native 5, with the native 5 favoring harder uses.

I think I would like to see this blade shape on some of their fixed blades, such that it comes to a straight point at the midline without any trailing point look like most of the clip points. I love clip points, but they already have that option covered. Honestly, take this model and make it a full tang fixed blade and you would have a heck of an EDC fixed blade, though I imagine the market for that is much smaller than the folder market.

Hey Makael Makael how do you like the tip on the blue/black model? I like the look of the blade, a little less pointy than the other ones. Kind of reminds me of the "improved sheepsfoot" on the griptilian, maybe a spey blade. I feel like it would be a nicer EDC option, as I tend to gravitate towards less pointy models.

I have to say, I really like the burlap sprint. The knife may feel "whimpy" to some, but no worse than a mini-grip, which was right up there as a favorite folder for a long time, very closely behind the spdyerco native, but now I think this is at least tied with the native 5, with the native 5 favoring harder uses.

I think I would like to see this blade shape on some of their fixed blades, such that it comes to a straight point at the midline without any trailing point look like most of the clip points. I love clip points, but they already have that option covered. Honestly, take this model and make it a full tang fixed blade and you would have a heck of an EDC fixed blade, though I imagine the market for that is much smaller than the folder market.
Its great. Love it's blade shape. Lightweight flipper. :thumbsup:

I agree with most folks. I've had the marbled carbon fiber pro version 841 after it first came out and it's light, a good flipper, easy pocket carry and good EDC in the gentleman's knife type.
I look forward to the days it joins the line up and gets pulled out. That red really pops, handsome knife.

Wow in the pics online the CF looks alot darker. Personally I would like that frame with the black blade off the blue/black version.

Any images of the liner in lock-up? I've read concerns but seen no images, no thickness measurement compared to other knives... Been considering one of these but not interested if the liner is too thin.

Back