Buck 857 El Morro

Stumble upon this guy at Wally World while doing some midnight shopping. Picked it up as I am a sucker for orange handles.

IMG_1717_zpsfrxgnawh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It appears to be a slightly modified Maverik.

IMG_1720_zpspfl93sov.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Haven't done any cutting yet but am liking the handle on this, more so than on the Maverik. It has a little texture up top and a little bit of a contouring compared to the Maverik as well as a straighter handle design. I haven't been able to find any info on this El Morro, perhaps its a Wally World exclusive?

Last edited:
The first one eluded me until I got lucky at a knife show. I hope I have an easier time finding this. It's probably a wally world exclusive knife. The first one was. The hunt is on.

I'm going to check out the local Walmart today. Hate going there unless I have to, it is so huge I feel like I should be taking a backpack and canteen. Sporting goods ( and luckily for me, pet food) is closer to the back entrance by lawn & garden so I'll be able to take a shorter path.... ;o)

What a funny name for a knife..... I wish someone from Buck would share the thought behind this one.....
I don't speak Spanish, perhaps there is another meaning.

El%20Morro%20translation_zpsmhj2i9wu.jpg

El Morro National Monument, New Mexico
800px-El_morro_view1_zpsdrynfunq.jpg

Last edited:
The first one eluded me until I got lucky at a knife show. I hope I have an easier time finding this. It's probably a wally world exclusive knife. The first one was. The hunt is on.

Understood. While looking for the Maverik, the Walmart I usually stop in for Buck Christmas packages had nothing. Checked the one down the road...whattya know, a seasonal display with several Maveriks. The El Morro was at the BOTTOM of the the knife case just laying there as all the pegs were taken, so if you look be vigilant:D. I think there were 2 or 3 laying there. I might go back and grab them tonight.

DeSotoSky, the El Morro National Monument was what came up on google when I tried looking into the knife. Didn't do a translation but if there is not another meaning, I definitely would like to hear a story/explanation on "the nose".

Also I forgot to post it last night but the El Morro was under $25 out the door.

DeSotoSky, the El Morro National Monument was what came up on google when I tried looking into the knife. Didn't do a translation but if there is not another meaning, I definitely would like to hear a story/explanation on "the nose".

Also I forgot to post it last night but the El Morro was under $25 out the door.

My first thought was Morro Bay, California. But I was leaving off the "el" from the "Morro".

ps. Is it 420HC steel?

Old eyes and a small phone had me miss that. Thanks for setting me straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, one down and no luck. I even showed the girl the picture and told her to get on her computer and find me one. No dice.

I just wanted to follow up on this. I was able to located two (and bought both) with a little help. Thank you emw479!

This knife is excellent! It fits the hand better than last years model and it's textured for the thumb/index finger. Really nice.

Found one, after hitting a dozen Walmarts with no luck, my sister found them by her so she picked me up one.

Saw a few of these locally. Clamshell behind a desk. No worker near.

any info on the specs? Hollow ground, etc.

No way I could check it out. If it is pretty good for 25 bucks could be fun. But I hate to buy with no knowledge at all.

Just saw this knife in Walmart today. Is it a Wally World special? Noticed it's not on the Buck website. Thinking about picking it up for mu girls.

14Tango, As far as I know, it is a Wally World exclusive (like the USA made Maverick with the blackwash finish and white handles). I finally got around to carrying and using the El Morro on a hike and it is a good little knife. I prefer it over the Maverick as it fits my hand better. I would, and have, recommend it as a quality, inexpensive, US made, small fixed blade.

When visiting Puerto Rico I remember the historic castle in San Juan is called "El Morro". It's probably the most recognized landmark on the island. Considered the place where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean. Maybe that's the inspiration for the knife's name. Orange does remind me of the tropics a little.

I know I am a bit late to this thread but I happened to find this knife on clearance at a local Walmart. $5 for this one and $5 each for two Bantams with the mossy oak handles. Don't hesitate to ask the counter help what knives they have on closeout.

Andrew

I just picked up an El Moro for $15 online, what's not to love about Buck's 420HC made in the USA for that price?

Back