Buck Collector Tins

tom19176

Gold Member
Since I am a Gold member I can request opinions on value. I have over the years bought several of the 110 ( and the one year 112) collector tins. I recently let my son sell some of my knives on Ebay as he is getting married this year and I wanted to help him out a bit with expenses. He sold many of the knives at the BIN price ( including some Bucks), but there are no offers on the Buck tin I gave him. The shipping cost are high because it is in the plastic cover therefore over sized. First question what price range do you think the various years are worth? Second, do you think it is best to open them up and sell them as just a knife with no tin? Thanks for your help!! I may offer them here some day.....Figured EBAY was better for him as he sells stuff there....

tom, I have all of those and I don't know what would be a good price to start at. I do know to not open and break them up. As that would loose the collector value. Good luck, DM

I don't know about the values.
I'd probably take the tins out of the plastic ... truth to tell, I would have done that as soon as I got them home, even if they were a gift. (easier to wrap)
As for shipping, use USPS and a flat rate box. Much cheaper than FED-EX/UPS.

Leave it in the package, list it as auction and start the auction at 35 or 40$. Go from there. Unfortunately, those don't go for very much money for some reason. Probably because there's about 15K + of those made...

Like fishhunter said to check out the flat rate USPS and I find if it's more than 12" on any dimension or more than a pound, priority mail is cheaper. Sometimes cheaper than flat rate...

Allow the buyer to decide about the packaging. Offer the cheaper small flat rate if you cut it open and throw away the packaging. Or they can get the knife as pictured at the stated shipping rate.

I am thinking about having my son offer different shipping rates. it is a same these have not increased in value......You would think a collectors tin would.....

I am thinking about having my son offer different shipping rates. it is a same these have not increased in value......You would think a collectors tin would.....

He can offer calculated shipping, priority and 1st class, that way the cost depends on where the buyer is.... The problem with those is they make them every year and Ten's of Thousands are made and you can get them everywhere...It is a shame....

It would be a shame if they made so few that only the elite had a chance to get one.

Having made so many that everyone that wants one has one seems better. To me at least.

First thing I do if I buy a “collector” tin is open it so I can close the knife. I know in my head that it doesn’t hurt the knife, but my ocd makes me want them closed.

Out of curiosity I did an eBay search for “collector tin”. Everything from Yugio cards to ritz crackers. I think there were close to 20,000 results.

As a rule anything made to collect doesn’t gain value.

Best wishes on the sales of yours. Helping your son is a great thing to do.

It would be a shame if they made so few that only the elite had a chance to get one.

Having made so many that everyone that wants one has one seems better. To me at least.

First thing I do if I buy a “collector” tin is open it so I can close the knife. I know in my head that it doesn’t hurt the knife, but my ocd makes me want them closed.

I agree with you on the opportunity for everyone that wants one can get one. The problem is overkill. After awhile you'll see them clearance for 19.99$, that's what hurts them....

You are right about the term "Collectible". It will never be a collectible....

The Tins that come with pins can be a bargain. Pay for the knife get a free pin. The tin makes it a nice gift pack. Key chains don’t do anything for me.

But when it comes down to it. How many plain Jane 110’s can one guy have?

The other thing that may be hurting the 110 tin values might be the Ebony 110’s. Nobody wants the laminate handles anymore? Then again the average Joe may never even notice a difference.

Well my son's 110 tin sold! Nit sure if it was someone here, but thanks if it was! I may hold giving anymore of the tins for now....

Back