Buck Date Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buck began using the Anvil stamp on knives in 2003 perhaps some one year before but to show it as a LE or custom this stamp was adopted and continues in use today . DM

The anvil stamp is the 2002 date code, and Buck continues to use the anvil on customs.

A guy at work has a 110 mark like this what year is it. BUCK •110• USA

Here's the latest and greatest. Good additional info on this one.

DateCodemousepad.jpg

Thanks Dave,

nice chart.

Going to lock this thread back up so folks can ask questions in individual threads, about their oldies.

Last edited:
The following is information compiled by forum member David Martin concerning the Heat Treating Timeline of Buck Knives by Mr. Paul Bos.

First off, Mr. Bos is a gentleman and a legend in his field. As he talked and told me many items I couldn't help think, ''ok, don't screw this up. Just shut up and listen.' Realize who your talking to.'' He is a Way better man than most people I know. So, knowledgeable and humble. Unlike sooo many I know. It made me feel like when I talked to Chuck Buck. Down to earth, no braggart or arrogant. This was my third time to talk to him and the most in depth. He began heat treating Frank Buck's custom knives in the 50's on in to the 60's And more of Buck's production blades.
HE starting doing ALL of Buck's heat treating in 1970, after a meeting with AL in 1969. Not in house. Later in about 1976 he helped Buck set up their heat treating. Then came on board (moved in with Buck) in 1978 . In that dept. he heat treated every steel and blades Buck manufactured. NOT the Camillus made knives as they did their own.
HE developed ALL the formulas for all the new steels they used from 1979 to 2010. More later. DM

Paul Bos heat treated all of Bucks models (he and those in that dept.) from the 2 liners all the way to 2010 knives. All the limitied runs of special steels from ATS-34, BG-42 (the Hertiage series), 5200 steel, S30V, the Ti series, D2, hatchets, M9's, 154cm, & CPM154. Buck Masters and normal production steels and early carbon steels. Maintaining the equipment, trouble shooting, maintaining it in calibration and holding strict tolerance of formulas. Thousands of blades daily. One out of every 30 blades were taken to the Rockwell hardness tester. On his custom blades every one was tested. He spent 50 years as a heat treater. For many of us,--- that's 2 careers. Receiving awards and honors. Buck and other cutlery firms have good quality control. Paul Farner trained under him for 12-14 years. Mr. Bos left this dept. in his good capable hands. Chuck Buck backed Paul's decisions 100%. A standing many of us wish we had today with our boss. When Chuck passed, part of Paul died too. They just had that type of relationship. A element Missing in today's work place. He was a everyday man who set the bar of excellence high at what he did. His name is noteworthy in the industry. DM

Last edited:
So I notice none of the charts have the dot on the 1988 like it is on this #531. Is that the same for all 1988's?

medium_2711_01_05_19_6_06_46.jpeg

Buck usually used the 'dot' to indicate a mid-year design/material production change so they could keep track of the knives produced that had the change and those that didn't. HTH.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back