Buck Fever! (Traditionals)

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I expected it to be large and heavy--it is. While it's heavier than what I'm used to, part of me likes that. I do like the drop point better than the typical clip, I believe. I think I like the knife, but doubt I will carry it much.:confused: I guest this won't be the first time I've bought/kept a knife that won't see much use.:p It comes with a very nice belt case, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go that route. Anyone here pocket carry a 110?

mYoXN3i.jpg

J9cCw2l.jpg

I'm not sure how I feel about it. I expected it to be large and heavy--it is. While it's heavier than what I'm used to, part of me likes that. I do like the drop point better than the typical clip, I believe. I think I like the knife, but doubt I will carry it much.:confused: I guest this won't be the first time I've bought/kept a knife that won't see much use.:p It comes with a very nice belt case, but I'm not sure I'm quite ready to go that route. Anyone here pocket carry a 110?

mYoXN3i.jpg

J9cCw2l.jpg
If you carry a wallet in your back pocket, you might want to try it standing alongside of it. It’s a bit cumbersome, in my opinion, for front pocket carry. Also if you ever wear carpenter jeans, the side tool pocket might be an option. Lance

My 110 and my recently purchased 55, it didn't take more than a few days for the brass to turn brown so I polished it before this picture and the 55 turned right back within a couple more days.
I'm not going to right it, the knife has told me I should leave it be :D

The latest Buck in the collection - a Charcoal Dymondwood 303. It's been in my pocket non-stop for a week... I have another 310 on the way, although I'm not sure why. I might need to start looking for a Forum 301, I don't have any in my accumulation yetIMG_20191025_130950611_HDR-1686x864.jpg

mYoXN3i.jpg

J9cCw2l.jpg

I pocket carry this two dot beast every once in a while. It was in my grandpa's collection - 440c and ebony. It'll whittle hair and do it with tons of style ;)

20181123_095755-1053x588.jpg

I carry it vertically in my left pocket next to my cell phone. If I'm not wearing real baggy pants it stays upright, although I always end up wondering why I am carrying such a big knife

mYoXN3i.jpg

J9cCw2l.jpg

I pocket carry a 110 occasionally. I have 36, and 46 pattern, and two blade 23's from GEC that are about as heavy and carry them in the pocket, in multiples frequently. Today I had a 46 whaler in my right front, a 23 and 73 (matching two blade trappers) in the left.

It has been many, many years since I have owned a Buck lockback. The last being a rubber handled one (unknown model) when I was an older teen and the first being a 110 (possibly a clone of sorts) when I was a younger teen - both have long since disappeared. Buck knives have a fond place in my memories though as a youth and I still own the 119 that I bought myself when I was 16 - it was my very first fixed blade.

I have always meant to get another Buck lockback (or two) but just never really got around to it. As most of the notable ones are readily available, I have never been struck by the urgency (what a luxury, yes?).

Opportunity found me and I was able to scoop up a 112 Ranger with a drop point blade and in 5160 steel. I had heard really good things about Buck's 5160 and thought it best that I not delay if I wanted to actually try it out. It arrived over the weekend and I have had a few days since to get acquainted. I have never had or even handled a Ranger and I was a bit under the assumption that it ran smaller. It's smaller, yes - smaller than the 110 - but I would not call this a small knife.... In fact, it might be one of the heaviest pocket knives I own - and I have a great many, traditional and modern.

Regardless, I was pretty excited to get this knife in. Brass frame and pins, paired with oak covers, make for a pretty nice Buck classic. The action was pretty stiff when I pulled it out of its box so I gave it a really good flush and was amazed how much crud I worked loose - has to be one of the dirtiest knives I have ever received from a factory. It smoothed right out though after a thorough cleaning and oiling and I dropped it right into my pocket - which proved to be a mistake. Gym shorts being my regular work-at-home attire, the darned thing just about yanked my drawers off when it hit the bottom of my pocket (did I mention this thing was heavy?).

I am impressed with the 5160 steel. Already pretty sharp out of the box, I only had to strop it a wee bit to get it shaving and having experienced 5160's toughness in other knives, I suspect that I won't be worried about breaking this Buck anytime soon.

7BT6xre.jpg

It's a big solid knife so I thought I would compare it to some other "big" knives that I have and they all feel like feathers by comparison, despite some being a larger frame. From top to bottom: GEC 23, GEC 43, Buck 112, GEC 73.

PfJeQTC.jpg

Hard to tell in this comparison pic but the 112 is about the same thickness as a 2-blade 23.

bt9Svr8.jpg

Sturdy blade stock - this isn't a knife to be taken lightly, that's for sure. That said, the hollow grind and keen edge will cut just fine.

K46RFos.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with this knife and I expect that I am going to get a lot of use and enjoyment out of it. I am looking forward to experiencing how the 5160 and brass age with continued use. I am hoping that I might find a 110 at some point to complement it. I don't think I will only end up with one these classics - more will be needed (for science, of course 😁).

o6uR47J.jpg

It has been many, many years since I have owned a Buck lockback. The last being a rubber handled one (unknown model) when I was an older teen and the first being a 110 (possibly a clone of sorts) when I was a younger teen - both have long since disappeared. Buck knives have a fond place in my memories though as a youth and I still own the 119 that I bought myself when I was 16 - it was my very first fixed blade.

I have always meant to get another Buck lockback (or two) but just never really got around to it. As most of the notable ones are readily available, I have never been struck by the urgency (what a luxury, yes?).

Opportunity found me and I was able to scoop up a 112 Ranger with a drop point blade and in 5160 steel. I had heard really good things about Buck's 5160 and thought it best that I not delay if I wanted to actually try it out. It arrived over the weekend and I have had a few days since to get acquainted. I have never had or even handled a Ranger and I was a bit under the assumption that it ran smaller. It's smaller, yes - smaller than the 110 - but I would not call this a small knife.... In fact, it might be one of the heaviest pocket knives I own - and I have a great many, traditional and modern.

Regardless, I was pretty excited to get this knife in. Brass frame and pins, paired with oak covers, make for a pretty nice Buck classic. The action was pretty stiff when I pulled it out of its box so I gave it a really good flush and was amazed how much crud I worked loose - has to be one of the dirtiest knives I have ever received from a factory. It smoothed right out though after a thorough cleaning and oiling and I dropped it right into my pocket - which proved to be a mistake. Gym shorts being my regular work-at-home attire, the darned thing just about yanked my drawers off when it hit the bottom of my pocket (did I mention this thing was heavy?).

I am impressed with the 5160 steel. Already pretty sharp out of the box, I only had to strop it a wee bit to get it shaving and having experienced 5160's toughness in other knives, I suspect that I won't be worried about breaking this Buck anytime soon.

7BT6xre.jpg

It's a big solid knife so I thought I would compare it to some other "big" knives that I have and they all feel like feathers by comparison, despite some being a larger frame. From top to bottom: GEC 23, GEC 43, Buck 112, GEC 73.

PfJeQTC.jpg

Hard to tell in this comparison pic but the 112 is about the same thickness as a 2-blade 23.

bt9Svr8.jpg

Sturdy blade stock - this isn't a knife to be taken lightly, that's for sure. That said, the hollow grind and keen edge will cut just fine.

K46RFos.jpg

Overall, I am very pleased with this knife and I expect that I am going to get a lot of use and enjoyment out of it. I am looking forward to experiencing how the 5160 and brass age with continued use. I am hoping that I might find a 110 at some point to complement it. I don't think I will only end up with one these classics - more will be needed (for science, of course 😁).

o6uR47J.jpg
I also picked up one of those drop point 5160 112s. I will agree with you it is by far the dirtiest knife I’ve ever received. I spent quite a bit of time washing it, wiping it, and flushing it to get it relatively clean.

It is definitely not a lightweight knife! But I have a custom shop 112 I received as a birthday gift last year that has become one of my favorite knives. In hand they are extremely comfortable to me, probably more so than any other I’ve picked up. Lock up on these is exceptional, and they feel built like a tank to me, certainly not afraid of some cutting tasks!

I’m also looking forward to plenty of time with this one, and seeing how the steel performs and the brass ages! Hope you enjoy yours!

I also picked up one of those drop point 5160 112s. I will agree with you it is by far the dirtiest knife I’ve ever received. I spent quite a bit of time washing it, wiping it, and flushing it to get it relatively clean.

It is definitely not a lightweight knife! But I have a custom shop 112 I received as a birthday gift last year that has become one of my favorite knives. In hand they are extremely comfortable to me, probably more so than any other I’ve picked up. Lock up on these is exceptional, and they feel built like a tank to me, certainly not afraid of some cutting tasks!

I’m also looking forward to plenty of time with this one, and seeing how the steel performs and the brass ages! Hope you enjoy yours!

There has been more than one occasion where I've built a knife in their custom shop web app and just never went through with it. I do wish they had 5160 as an option but I also understand if a certain shop is keen on keeping it for their SFOs.

One thing I didn't mention is how nice the balance is on these knives - heavy knife, yes, but the weight is largely kept in your hand. Keeps it where it belongs, imparts a solid and comfortable feeling, and makes it less prone to drop while working.

7BT6xre.jpg

PfJeQTC.jpg

bt9Svr8.jpg

K46RFos.jpg

o6uR47J.jpg
Beautiful knife. I almost ordered that exact model but then found a two-dot 112 at the local knife shop so I held off. I'd still like to have one some day.

Polishing compound. Lots of it. Warms up and gets in all the nooks and crannys.

Back