Buck fixed blade Fridays

xSeEKIJ.jpg

Y0NeZvQ.jpg

I get to follow Preston for a change. Sometimes it takes awhile... 4 years 6 months between finding the first and completing the set. Mini Zippers and Vanguards. A 2006 special project for Bass Pro. They are about 1/2" shorter in the blade and handle. Front to back models 686, 687, 688, and 689. Notice they were not marked with model numbers or date codes.

Mini Zipper & Vanguard 003 (1).JPG

I think this is the second time I fell asleep early and let Friday slip right by without posting. A bit different design is this Buck 493 Waterfowler. I bought it either here or on AAPK as park of a package deal to get another 100 series Buck Knife and put it unused into my waterfowling bag. I took a young fellow with me duck hunting (his first duck hunt) and taught him to clean the ducks we shot. His only knife was a modern folder so I gave the Buck Waterfowler to him to commemorate his start as a duck hunter. Odd as it looks, this little knife did a fine job cleaning ducks. OH
Buck_493_Waterfowler_(2).jpg

Barnes-Lodge-12-17-19-with-Joey-Ivey-and-the-mornings-total-bag.jpg

4 years 6 months between finding the first and completing the set. Mini Zippers and Vanguards. A 2006 special project for Bass Pro. They are about 1/2" shorter in the blade and handle. Front to back models 686, 687, 688, and 689. Notice they were not marked with model numbers or date codes.
That is a story of dedication and perseverance and a set of hard to come by Buck knives:thumbsup:
I think this is the second time I fell asleep early
Wish I didn't understand about that 😁 Great gesture on your part, both the knife and taking him on his first duck hunt.

Up late tonight... just realized that it's now Friday, so I'm going to start things off for this week's "fixed blade Friday" with this Legacy Kalinga that arrived
a few days ago. Without the recent change made to the BCCI/Pro discount that extended it to this knife, buying one had been too rich for my blood.

I had been eyeing it throughout 2021, and when I saw that the Kalinga was dropped for 2022, I just had to get one. I ordered it just in time too, as
there were only 3 available when I placed my order, and it was sold out shortly thereafter.

W1Vte4vl.jpg

Last edited:
Vanguards are one of my favorites to collect. They were new in the 1991 catalog but did not hit the stores until late that year so there are not as many 1991's to be found. Here is a 1991 (+) Vanguard in as nice of condition as you would like to find with a particularly attractive Dymondwood handle.

192.1991.ANIB.011417  4_zpsff1sfove.jpg

I left this in the golf cart this fall.
I brought it inside to at least oil it, and decided it was my contribution for the day.
Here it is sitting on the bar with some labels from my old friend Bernie Rink, "The Wine Nazi".
He was the original vintner in the Leelanau Peninsula.

Seemed fitting.
To Bernie!

View attachment 1720862
(There're some pretty interesting stories about him if you're looking to spend some time.)

Last edited:
Back