Buck Knife appeal

I am especially fond of Buck Knives due to the company's Christian values and integrity. What traits of Buck Knives appeal to you folks over more "modern" knife companies (Spyderco, Kershaw, etc.)? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Spyderco and Kershaw who? :D

I just prefer the traditional looks of the 100 Series, 300 Series, and the folding “lockblades” over the tactical look. Buck family values and the fact that most of their products are made in the USA is certainly attractive. Last, but not least, for sentimental and nostalgic reasons - all of my childhood knives were Bucks. Performance and value goes without saying.

Good question! :thumbup:

The appeal of Buck to me is all that you mentioned plus the fact that they have been around for quite a while and can be trusted. That brand always conjurs images of the circular buck head outline with the mountain range in back. It makes me think of the outdoors and gives me a good feeling of adventure or something.

I have a 279 Alpha that I treat like a piece of jewelry I take it out and wipe it down and buff and polish the thing oftentimes. I picked up the rosewood handles for it and I I'll remove them and use polish on them as well. All the while I'm thinking of how me and my Buck knife will save the world one day!

I guess its just really relaxing to me actually. It's not even the s30v either its the high carbon one and*I love the darn thing.

When I see an American made manufacturer I kind of associate all those things you mentioned with them now that you made me think about it. It's like finding someone who has everything in common with you even if that's not the case.

plain and simple for Nostalgic reasons and how "we revered these knifes in the 60's & 70's" especially the 110 as to be industructable....LOL and after buying many of E-BAY I can rest my case to the abuse some of them have taken.......LOL We wore ours everywhere in did not go out in the woods with out one! even dirt bike riding, along with some bailing wire an duct tape & tie downs. All my friends had one and wore it proudly! If these 1960 & 1970's 110's could tell thier story! it would be full of countless stories of adventures an calamities that they helped people get out of....and never ending.

Buck knows how to treat a person. You feel more than just a customer, it's like a family. Like you said, the religious message I appreciate and like. USA made is important to me. Quality materials for a fair price, with an amazing warranty. Selection is so large now. From traditionals to modern they have something for everyone.

I like the fact they are geared towards the Blue collar working man, Outdoorsman, hunter, fisherman, Cowboy, Biker, Truck Driver, Logger, Miner, etc.

They aren't the everyday "tactical" black coated blade that springs open with one hand and uses NASA super steel. They are just a good all around affordable attractive knife for good ol boys that work hard and play harder.

For me it's:

1) Good solid affordable knives that you don't have to spend a lot on to know it's going to server you well.
2) Classy old school look
3) Warranty and they stand by their work
4) Made in America...not all but most

To me their Christian values are just an added bonus. Not a deal breaker for me if someone is not but it's nice.

Doug_86 nailed it for me.

There is just something about a 110 and 112 with the heavy smooth brass and finely polished wood that makes it more valuable to me than just performance can provide.

In my life I have been a Soldier (32 years) and a Hunter (50 years - still adding years). I saw Buck way back when as a knife made for Hunters and Soldiers (among others) and gravitated their way because of that perception. My two longest owned Buck Knives are a 301 (from 1970) and a 105 (from 1976). I was out in the woods hunting yesterday and out again this morning - Buck 112 on my hip. OH

Doug_86 nailed it for me.

There is just something about a 110 and 112 with the heavy smooth brass and finely polished wood that makes it more valuable to me than just performance can provide.

Great minds think alike!

BINGO! garddogg56, We made the BUCK *110* the 1st ~MULTI TOOL~ in the U.S.A. LOL I don't count the Swiss Army Knife.....even though I had one, it was not made in the U.S.A. and some of my friends took it seriosuly they worked at U.S.STEEL in Worcester MA....and we all rode TRIALS & ENDURO BIKES an fixed cars in a tight situtuation with them!

Because they still function 30+ years after you buy them. The 110 was just given their spa treatment.

For me it's a mix of great quality, style that I like and family values. Buck stands for family, God and good knives. For me, I was presented a Buck 110 as a kid, as a right of passage. It was a symbol of growing up and responsibility. We took these knives with us everywhere on our belts, we harvested deer, used them around the farm for work and it was the go to camp knife when we went out camping. So, for me it was part of our family, most of the men and boys carried Buck knives. So, I think it is God, Family and nature that makes this company great. They also happen to be a good value and look great, IMO.

For me: faith...family...US made...good value for the dollar...good craftsmanship...good customer service.

I was first impressed with Buck knives as scout in the '70s. My scout leaders wore 110s, and gave a 112 to each scout that made Eagle.

Served in the military for 30 years, and carried a variety of Buck knives. A Buck 309 or 303 for those days in the office; a Bucklite 422 in the field; and on my last deployment, also brought along a 307 that I carried just about every day.

All of that, and I'm just a traditional knife kind of guy.

There's something about the 110 , 112 & 055 .Just a classic design , yhe brass feels solid ... like you know its still going to be around in a couple of generations. ...the weight feels positive on your hand like your holding a quality tool if its in your pocket or you drop it you know it ....though your more likely to belt carry. ...like your meant to with this sort of knife.

Really its a peice of Americana.

EagleIH, I thinks it evident they have the same strong committment to their spiritual lives as they do for thier brand & its time tested and it shows. watch the you tube video Its Fantastic! Chuck Buck, CEO of Buck of Buck Knives talk about the message that comes with every Buck. I have always wondered did they know Reverand Robert Shuller? who teachs Positive Christianity in Garden Grove California at the Crystal Catherdral "one of my all time favorite christian's messengers" with his HOUR OF POWER teachings he also mentored under Norman Vincent Peale.

Last edited:
Buck is a solid, reliable company. I have used their warranty in the past and have been very happy with the service and the general attitude of the employees when I have made use of the company phone number. In general, Buck has some great designs, two of which stand out heads and tails above the rest: the 110 and the classic 119.

Over the years I have come to trust the 110 as a valued hunting tool. And of course the 119 should be a part of any collectors assembly. I have never met a hunter who did not favor either of these classic, timeless designs. Both are available at a decent price that won't dissolve your 401k. I suspect someone taught the golden rule in their company meetings which speaks volumes in the market of today and clearly sets them apart from other vendors. The values and faith based model sheds light on why they are such a massive force in the knife business.

Back