Buck Mayo TNT Issues

kawr

Gold Member
I recently aqcuired a LNIB Buck Mayo TNT by trade and I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. Very smooth and beautiful knife but I was suprised by how late the lockup was and how quickly the pivot screw came loose. The lockup is at around 90% and gets near like 95% if I open it with a flick. There is some vertical play as well with a clicking noise. The pivot screw comes loose after 2-3 openings which isnt a big deal (loctite) but still it suprised me. Now I'm just wondering if anyone else with a TNT has had these same issues or if its just me. Guessing that this is an isolated issue on my part and I may just send it in to fix the vertical play which is my only real issue with the knife. I'm still very happy with the knife but f&f seems a bit subpar for the price which is a shame because the TNT is probably my all time favorite knife design.

I have two and none of the issues you describe. Both my knives are first class in every respect. I've got one in my pocket right now. Awesome knife!! You're the first complaint I've heard.

About 40% on the one in my pocket. Perfectly centered too. I'm really surprised you've had issues.
What's your travel?

i had one that was junk as well. wobbly, off centered. certainly not what i expected.

About 40% on the one in my pocket. Perfectly centered too. I'm really surprised you've had issues.
What's your travel?

At least 90% on mine. It is perfectly centered though. Honestly I would of been 100% satisfied if it didnt have so much vertical play that is most likely caused by the really late lockup. No big deal, I'm sure Buck will fix it.

At least 90% on mine. It is perfectly centered though. Honestly I would of been 100% satisfied if it didnt have so much vertical play that is most likely caused by the really late lockup. No big deal, I'm sure Buck will fix it.

Sorry to hear all this. Is the blade play up and down or side to side?

Please keep us posted on what Buck does for you. They go all out with their customer service. Good luck!!

If I remember right, the blade pivot screw is something like a .5 mm torx. Have you tried tightening it?

Does or has it failed from lockup?

I use the cheaper version 179 frame lock and beat on it hard. Have tightened it up once or twice till I applied some blue locktite. It locks up pretty much all the way over, but is so thick it has plenty of blade contact.
I can't see it ever failing.

Send it back to Buck and they will tune it right up.

Last edited:
I had some similar trouble with one of mine a while back. I called Buck Customer Service and said I thouht a knife at this price point should be better. They agreed and told me to send the knife in which I did. I got it back a couple of weeks later and the issues were all resolved. It was the same knife I sent as there were some marks on the handle. If you're not happy, give Buck a call and see what they say.

My top three knives, fit and finish wise, are: 1st - CRK Umnumzaan; 2nd - Tie - Benchmade 630 Skirmish & ZT-301; 3rd - Tie Buck 172 Mayo TNT & Kershaw 1725 JYDII Ti/SG2. Realistically, no question about the CRK being numero uno, but there are days where the next four tie for second - they really are close in quality. My Buck 172 Mayo TNT is perfectly centered and locks up at 45%. It is the best production Buck I have, no question. Sorry for the OP's problems - time for a trip home for some r & r.

Stainz

PS Buck Custom Shop 110's are slightly better - as you'd expect.

I collect the 172 and 171 , the 172 tnt I’ve carried for over ten years , never abused has had none of the issues you stated. I now just bought my 6 th tnt 5 are nib never used ...,

By far in my opinion the best production knives I’ve ever handled!! “ buck mayo tnt 172

I collect the 172 and 171 , the 172 tnt I’ve carried for over ten years , never abused has had none of the issues you stated. I now just bought my 6 th tnt 5 are nib never used ...,
8 year old thread. Buck has these back in stock, limited run 100 in 3 cerakote colors and one titanium. This one is OD green
20181129_164859_zpsqx4uf9su.jpg

hPgBiV0.jpg

Back