Buck of the month

Got my shipping confirmation at 1:40 AM. Strange. Looking forward to Tuesday!View attachment 1647414
I got mine around midnight PST but it actually shipped at 8am Friday morning. No shipping notification until 16ish hours later. Odd. Then again, I’ve had problems with the last few items I’ve had delivered. My recent Emerson purchase stated it was at the sort facility but then arrived. I have another purchase that was out for delivery in my town just to end up 250 miles away in another state.

Well, it’s in…I had a brief moment to inspect it and snap a few quick pics.
The shipping to PA was very fast, the packaging well done, the box the knife comes in is nice.

wvtbcIg.jpg

a3dWWBd.jpg

cisLs5q.jpg

OTiPbjr.jpg

g3hscR3.jpg

ZYiAFVK.jpg

Last edited:
The blade centering on the clip blade isn’t the best, it’s rather poor, it touches the liner. The centering on the secondary blade isn’t the best either, but does not rub.

The grinds are…bad.

The burlap micarta is well done, as the bolsters, and everything is flush with no sharp edges.

I wasn’t expecting GEC quality, and that’s exactly what I got…
This particular one would fall more into the “user” category of a limited edition knife

Last edited:
The blade centering on the clip blade isn’t the best, it’s rather poor, it touches the liner. The centering on the secondary blade isn’t the best either, but does not rub.

The grinds are…bad.

The burlap micarta is well done, as the bolsters, and everything is flush with no sharp edges.

I wasn’t expecting GEC quality, and that’s exactly what I got…
This particular one would fall more into the “user” category of a limited edition knife
Well it’s going straight in the pocket when I get it. I have a 303. The grinds look about on par and what I expect from Buck slippies. Thank you for the photos.

Well it’s going straight in the pocket when I get it. I have a 303. The grinds look about on par and what I expect from Buck slippies. Thank you for the photos.
This is my first Buck slipjoint, I have many others with no issues, is that abysmal blade centering normal? The wonky grinds I can get past, but don’t know if I can get past the blade rubbing the liner.
And you’re welcome for some early pics, too bad I couldn’t post with any enthusiasm.

This is my first Buck slipjoint, I have many others, is that abysmal blade centering normal? The wonky grinds I can get past, but don’t know if I can get past the blade rubbing the liner.
And you’re welcome for some early pics, too bad I couldn’t post with any enthusiasm.
In a word, no. It's not normal, at least not in the ones I have gotten, depending on how bad the blade rub was I would be tempted to return it or warranty it

This is my first Buck slipjoint, I have many others with no issues, is that abysmal blade centering normal? The wonky grinds I can get past, but don’t know if I can get past the blade rubbing the liner.
That is disappointing, Buck is usually pretty good, although I do have a custom shop 501 with a proud pin that I'm too lazy to send back.
I'd just keep it and use it, it will probably last you a lifetime, every Buck I ever had is well made and tough.
I bet they'd replace it or fix it though if you call customer service, preferably before they sell out.

I appreciate you posting the photos and your honest comments on the build quality and finish as I was nearly ready to enter my payment info for this knife. I was justifying making this purchase because I am a sucker for burlap handles and the flat grinds but not interested in 420HC steel or another clip point, nor am I encouraged by the scrape marks I see in your image of the clip blade sliding against the liner.

Unfortunate but I am sure most folks will be pleased and as Scott J. says, the knife will provide a life of quality service.

My 303 doesn’t have rubbing issues. Here’s hoping it’s just a lemon. To be frank, blade rub has never bothered me. I carry a Presidential every day and those knives are advertised with blade rub. Haha. I just bought a Winchester black box coffin Jack and it has rub too. But I get other people may not be stoked about the price to quality if it has rub. Probably still better fit and finish than a lot of modern knives I’ve bought for $100. Haha.

880036E6-C816-41A9-840E-BD1EA8EDB5BA.jpegMine arrived also. Fit and finish leaves a bit to be desired, guess I’m spoiled by GEC. Main problems is a wonky piece of micarta as shown here. The tip of the clip blade rubs against the linear and the blade grinds are sloppy. Knife needs a good flushing, but the blades have a fair pull and good snap closing. At least no major gaps along the backspring. I have a 301 that has issues that are easy to overlook at a sub 50$ knife. At twice that amount I would like to see Buck do a little better.

Back