Buck Vanguard question for you guys.

Hey guys! How's it goin? :]

So the #46 Whaler didn't work out. So that means I'm going with a Buck Vanguard! It's on the way with that cool feather sheath I posted back in the Whaler thread. But I do have a question:

There are two handle colors, a light wood and a very dark wood (which is what I want). Everyone in reviews obviously are raving about the wondrousness and glory of the Vanguard, but it seems like the handle color is pretty much a toss up, and no one has mentioned what the deal is, and why different people got different handle colors. Does anyone know what handle color I'm going to get? I mean, it SEEMS like the majority got the darker handle. I'm not too concerned... But I mean, for an expensive knife I hope I get exactly what I want, yah know? Anyways, let me know if any of you have some more information on this! :)

Here's the two photos that they show:

pixlr_20180515151544609.jpg

And here is the one I hope to get, plus the sheath I'm definitely getting (so cool, right? :) ):

pixlr_20180504184428745.jpg

Cheers! ^_^
~ Sparkly

PS: How's everybody doing tonight? ♡

Last edited:
your pics show a walnut dymondwood version and a cocabolo dymondwood version. dymondwood burned down so its a different company product now a days but to keep it simple its layers of birch wood dyed a color and laminated by epoxy of some sort together much like plywood in a way.

very strong and somewhat water resistant unlike real wood stabilized and sealed or not. its a good product for what it is.

the cocobolo version doesnt appear to be a current production from a quick search but im not a 192 expert by any means.

i also agree with danbot amazon isnt the best place to buy knives.....the dealers who pay to be here almost always have better prices in general and do a far better job.....

Last edited:
It doesn't have to be "over" with the Whaler. But as you know, I think a slimmer knife would be more practical. There should be some single blade Oregon Trappers (#43) around still. The rust red bone scales is very eye catching. The #44 Gunstock will be coming out in the near future. It's in production. These are pretty large slippies at 4.25" closed length.

With the 192, I have the Cabela's version which has a handle that is colored in between the dark and light you picture. It also has a black blade and leather sheath. The black blade is more like a blued gun rather than painted, so it's attractive. I believe it runs a bit or $100 there. That's what I paid for mine, but I mentioned that it was priced for this and they gave me it at the $100 number. You ought to visit Cabelas or a place like Sportsman Warehouse and take a look at one before you buy. You might just find what you like. Of course the sheath will be different.

Last edited:
Normally, knife makers don't mix up different handle materials but you can get variations. I checked Buck's web site and they list 2 models of the Vanguard.
Walnut dymondwood Model 0192BRS-B and a Black rubber version, Model 0692BKS-B
All that being said, there are at least 3 explanations.
1. You could be buying old stock of a discontinued model.
2. The colors in the photos could have "shifted" meaning they aren't a good representation of the actual color.
3. Have noticed that on Amazon, frequently they group reviewers together and post the reviews for multiple versions or models of a product.

Personally, if the main photo in the listing is what you want. No worries. Ditto for the model number. If it is different, send it back. Say what you want about Amazon, they are usually hassle free for product returns.

Buck has a vast array of handle ,materials and blade steels from over the years. Great knife.

The Cabela's black coated blades are from their Alaskan Guide Series and are S30V blades instead of 420HC ... And I believe are Rosewood Handles still a laminate ... I don't personally care for coated blades but just personal preference I think Cabela's sell for $119.00 over the $89.00 for the normal version.

And the handle colors do vary ... I've had a few through the years a couple dark the newest one somewhere between the pictures you posted ...

and I will say the leather sheath that comes with it now is nowhere near the quality they used to be so you may really like to find a different sheath like you mentioned ... good luck.

JJ

Hi @HarryD!! :) ❤ I am enjoying my Buck 110 SO much. ♡ I carry it everyday in a soft leather pouch I got for it. It's my favorite knife that I own!! ^_^ It is definitely getting It's fare share of use too, and it works like a charm!! :] Nice to see you in here! ^_^

The Cabela's black coated blades are from their Alaskan Guide Series and are S30V blades instead of 420HC ... And I believe are Rosewood Handles still a laminate ... I don't personally care for coated blades but just personal preference I think Cabela's sell for $119.00 over the $89.00 for the normal version.

And the handle colors do vary ... I've had a few through the years a couple dark the newest one somewhere between the pictures you posted ...

and I will say the leather sheath that comes with it now is nowhere near the quality they used to be so you may really like to find a different sheath like you mentioned ... good luck.

JJ

Hey JJ_Colt45 JJ_Colt45 ! Very interesting. Yeah, I read on multiple websites/blogs that the sheath it comes with is garbage. And I totally fell in love with that feather sheath. I don't know much about it, except that it got great Amazon reviews and it looks REALLY sturdy in the photos. So I am excited to see how it holds up! :]

Normally, knife makers don't mix up different handle materials but you can get variations. I checked Buck's web site and they list 2 models of the Vanguard.
Walnut dymondwood Model 0192BRS-B and a Black rubber version, Model 0692BKS-B
All that being said, there are at least 3 explanations.
1. You could be buying old stock of a discontinued model.
2. The colors in the photos could have "shifted" meaning they aren't a good representation of the actual color.
3. Have noticed that on Amazon, frequently they group reviewers together and post the reviews for multiple versions or models of a product.

Personally, if the main photo in the listing is what you want. No worries. Ditto for the model number. If it is different, send it back. Say what you want about Amazon, they are usually hassle free for product returns.

Definitely all of this ^, thanks Dan of Bazz Clazz Dan of Bazz Clazz ! The Amazon comment is spot on. They have a good return policy. Plus, @HarglBargl has Prime so free two-day shipping. *thumbs up*

It doesn't have to be "over" with the Whaler. But as you know, I think a slimmer knife would be more practical. There should be some single blade Oregon Trappers (#43) around still. The rust red bone scales is very eye catching. The #44 Gunstock will be coming out in the near future. It's in production. These are pretty large slippies at 4.25" closed length.

With the 192, I have the Cabela's version which has a handle that is colored in between the dark and light you picture. It also has a black blade and leather sheath. The black blade is more like a blued gun rather than painted, so it's attractive. I believe it runs a bit or $100 there. That's what I paid for mine, but I mentioned that it was priced for this and they gave me it at the $100 number. You ought to visit Cabelas or a place like Sportsman Warehouse and take a look at one before you buy. You might just find what you like. Of course the sheath will be different.

Hey good morning, 22-rimfire 22-rimfire ! :)True about the Whaler. Hopefully I will be able to score one someday! ^_^

Back