Buck's Large Trapper

David Martin

I hope you gents don't get tired of this model. But I just got a box with the model 334 in it which I had been searching after for years. (Thanks to a long time Buck collector, 300 ) Now I can post to show you what they look like should you come across one somewhere.
The top knife is the model 334 all original with jigged bone handles, L.E. emblem, shield, blade inking, serial # 649 and box. The second model 334 has black delrin handles, L.E. emblem, shield, blade inking serial # 648 and appropriate box. These 2 are perfect & with original box. The bottom model 334 though it looks dressy with jigged bone handles and shield. It is missing the inked signature blades, the L.E. emblem, no serial # and no box. It is stamped 'Buck' on the blade but is, a 'parts knife'. One can find these in all sorts of configurations. Nothing wrong with its function and should last your lifetime. But it was put together after Camillus closed it's doors and someone bought these parts and assembled them. I still consider it a Camillus made Buck Trapper.
MillenniumTrap2.jpg

Last edited:
I like the jigging on the bottom knife. It looks a little like stag. The top knife is a little harder to see the jigging because of the lighting. Also the coloring of the bone on the top knife would never be confused with Sambar. All keepers.

Nice thread. Here are 3 plus a Grandaddy Barlow by Buck. Question on the other three. One says Remington, one says Camillus and the other says Sears. They all could be made by the same. 20200130_213545.jpg 20200130_213456.jpg 20200130_213608.jpg 20200130_213629.jpg 20200130_213616.jpg 20200130_213224.jpg 20200130_213232.jpg 20200130_213228.jpg 20200130_213335.jpg 20200130_213312.jpg

Yes Mak, I'm sure those were all made by Camillus. A Handsome collection. Thanks for posting them. I think there were 9 in the cartridge collection and 6 in the wildlife collection. I have seen those at shows. The Craftsman I had not seen but that one has a serial # like the Bucks. DM

I always liked the trapper and the granddaddy barlow. I managed to pick up a yellow granddaddy, but I haven't got the trapper yet. DM and MAK those are really nice finds.

Much better and now more brown than dark “purple?”. Hint: cross lighting shows texture said the guy with the crappy iPad photos.
Most of my older German knives have killer Sambar scales. The supply dried up because the “shed” collectors were setting fire to the fields to make their job easier. The government banned export to curb the arson.

Beautiful knives David,I'm definately not tired of looking at these ,please post up more pictures ,especially in use pictures with your users,This model is quickly becoming a knife I want badly,but it just isn't easy to find here.

I'm looking for the millennium jumbo trapper model,sooner or later I'll get one and when I do im sure it's going on some hunting trips with me .lol

Thanks Razor. If you can stumble on to a 'parts model 334 at a gun show', grab it up. Those at a, pawn shops or swimming in the bay is your best route. I think you would enjoy using it. DM

Last edited:
I spotted a few over the past two years but they were out of my price range nib with gorgeous jigged bone. More than I’ve paid for any of the knives I have. I would like to see a return of the jumbo trapper single and double blade but as nice as they are I would probably use my 110s in most instances. In fact I think of the 110 as a deluxe upgrade to the trapper. Lol.

The bone handles on the Buck are outstanding David. I’ve only got one of these large trappers, a Camillus version from the mid to late 1970’s. The bone really dresses the Buck Knife up, as does the Buck markings - if I ever stumble across any of the Buck variations I will buy it. OH
Camillus-American-Wildlife-10-A-Buck-Deer.jpg

Just looking here makes me want one too..How long are the blades ?? 3" seems to be the sweet spot for me. Wouldn't it be something if Buck offered one with S35VN! I bought the Club 301 in BG42 to try a 'traditional' pocket knife as all my adult life I have used various single lock blade knives. The last 6 months I have used S35VN and now firmly believe in super steels. One thing I'm curious about is the weight..do they compare to a 110/112 ?

Good questions bucksway. The blades on my 334's that I have measured are normally 3 1/2"- 3 9/16". The weight compares very near to the 110 with a double bolster. The 2 blade shapes I like and the lanyard hole is a plus. It doesn't bother me that they don't lock. Still, one can find this
same model with locking blades. M---e Maker offers this model in that configuration with 1095 steel. DM

Last edited:
Back