• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Bud Nealy terrible work

I put a deposit for $200 for Bud to make me a d/eTalon for $550. Back in August. He said 2 months. 5 months of being jerked around I get my knife. I ordered g-10. And told them I wanted pictures before being sending me the knife ( you will find out why I requested this in a bit). No pictures ever came. I open box and almost had a heart attack. I pull out the ugliest knife the handle is slippery and it looks like someone tried to stipple something.
Now I have several other Nealy’s 7 all ordered from bud over the years.
And on all of them I found they were all dull. They were beautiful though. However Not 1 single one could shave or cut paper. I swear to god.
And on the last one I bought when I went to sharpen the blade I saw that the tip is so off center it looks like a 2 year old did it. I like to sharpen my own knives and his quality of work offset any complaint I had as far as the dullness goes. I just found it weird. But definitely not a deal breaker.

The grind on the new knife. Look how the grind is, the plunges are so uneven and the blade is so off center I’m wondering if Bud isn’t going blind. Serious.

That’s why I wanted pictures. Before he sent it. I called and emailed Bud that I wanted my money back. He wants me to resend it to him. I simply do not have faith he can provide me a $565 knife even if I gave him a time machine.
I have posted pictures of the 2knives. I’m sure others have had similar issues recently. It’s sad I have a lot of money into them but won’t from now on. There are a a lot of great makers out there.

Look how far the serrations go up. What dipshit would use those?
Serrations look terrible.
Handle is so slippery.
Pictures do not do justice to how terrible the details are on this. Who would even let that get out the shop?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 1,957
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,182
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 1,166
Last edited:
So, you received one dull knife and proceeded to buy more? They continued to be full, yet you continued to buy? I see a pattern.

That is horrible work. Obviously that "maker" is just about taking money and nothing else. Refund time.

Scales look like horn/organic material. The rest looks amateur, at best.

Refund. Period. As you have no faith due to past history w/ this maker.

Good luck. Keep us posted, please.

Pictures are not the best, but that thing looks rather amateurish .
If the handle is g10, what in the world was done to it?

The Moral My friend... it took you 7 knives to learn the lesson...!
You are better without this last one if you can return it.

I've purchased about ten bud Nealy knives over the past twenty years. I have never seen any shoddy work, I'm sorry you haven't had the same experience as myself. I can't imagine Bud not addressing any and all issues with the knives your unhappy with should you decide to contact him.

I hsve several of Bud's knives, one in particular ( a pesh kabz ) was very custom. All of his work was really first rate. I have no idea what happened here and if it's bad work I'm sure he'll refund or make it good.
I have zero issue with criticizing bad work or bad service, of course, but did you try to talk to Bud before dissing him here? You wouldn't appreciate it.
Give the man a chance, and keep us posted.

So, you received one dull knife and proceeded to buy more? They continued to be full, yet you continued to buy? I see a pattern.

Yelp trying to figure that one out myself. If I get one expensive knife I am unhappy with, the next time I go with a different maker. I do not go back to that well six more times. If at first you do not succeed, try, try, try, try, try, try again?

Here’s hoping your issue gets resolved, but I don’t think trashing the maker before attempting to resolve your complaint is helpful. Also, I, like other, still don’t understand why you repeatedly and unhappily bought so many knives from the same maker. The overwhelming majority of makers and vendors here want us satisfied. I understand your dissatisfaction. Maybe try a different tact. Good luck.

Extremely strange how you've had 7 knives, none of which were of a quality satisfactory to you, yet apparently this Bud Nealy fellow (never heard of him myself) has been making excellent knives for at least the last 20 years. I don't know how this could happen, but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.

Why is his signature upside down?

image-jpg.1057613

Back