• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Bud Nealy terrible work

Sorry, but I've seen knives made in Pakistan that looked better than that. I would send that back ASAP and request a refund. And yes it is strange that his name is upside down.

So, you received one dull knife and proceeded to buy more? They continued to be full, yet you continued to buy? I see a pattern.
People do it all the time, just look at Randall. I have never received one that didn't need work. Fortunately I can sharpen a knife pretty good.

I guess if I received poorly sharpened knives repeatedly from the same maker I would stop buying them around knife number 1, before knife number 2. Sharp is kind of part of the agreement.

I guess if I received poorly sharpened knives repeatedly from the same maker I would stop buying them around knife number 1, before knife number 2. Sharp is kind of part of the agreement.
Agreed. I have only two custom knives. Both of them came as sharp as can be. If a craftsman/woman can’t be bothered to or is not capable of sharpening the knife they made, I’ll pass.

This^^^. I asked a maker if he could make the knife "very" sharp, his answer was "I'll do the best I can"; no sale. :rolleyes: :thumbsdown:

What I am beginning to find rather odd, is where is the OP?
I mean you start a thread like this and have not been seen since you posted it 4 days ago. Not sure what to think of that.

What I am beginning to find rather odd, is where is the OP?
I mean you start a thread like this and have not been seen since you posted it 4 days ago. Not sure what to think of that.
This might explain it:

Screenshot_20190123-145826_Chrome.jpg

I got burned on a Bowie from a Texas maker who I will not name because he is dead. His knives during his prime were superb. As he aged his skills deteriorated but even he wouldn't admit it to himself. Pictures on his web site were of his best work as you would expect. The knife I got was OK but not like his best work.

I suggest you research makers to find out where they are in their life cycle and ask for pictures of recent work. Never give a deposit more than $ 50 and ask for that back if the schedule slips more than 3 months.

Wow, if someone showed me that and said it was a 500 dollar knife i'd laugh and call them a liar. That literally looks like something you would find in a frickin swap meet for $20.

Sorry you got shafted so hard.

I reread the original post, somehow I missed that you have contacted Bud in regards to the issue . If it was me I would send it back to him as he requested.

UPDATE: Based on posts made after mine, I withdraw my comments, below:

One potential reason that might be possible - possible, not likely - that the maker's mark would be upside down would be if it was PhotoShopped. Not making any accusations. But that seems almost too bizarre to be real, does it not? Especially when others have had nothing but good experiences with this maker? I have NO experience with the maker, nor the OP. Just sayin'.

Last edited:
Here are a couple of other Nealy knives with the same blade stamp orientation.

KID-10-13-17-35-1.jpg

KID-10-13-17-11-1.jpg

I have 4 of Bud's custom knives and that work really surprises me. After I bought my first 2, I found out that he lived within 30 minutes from my hometown so I visited his shop some years back during a trip to the family. Bought two more while I was there. I was at my sharpening infancy and only had Spyderco / Benchmade experience at that point and just couldn't get his knives sharp on a Sharpmaker. During my shop visit I asked what angles he used and he said he did a convex edge and sharpened on a wheel. It didn't make sense to me at the time and I'm way way more educated and experienced now in sharpening / stropping. All that said, my experience is that his bevels could be a little more even and his knives don't come as sharp as I like. But at this point, I really don't care how sharp a knife comes because I can remedy that the right way now, no matter the type of edge (staying with convex, flat or whatever it came with).

Again, not sure what's going on with the knife the OP received. I would return it and try to work things out, then see what happens.

I have 4 of Bud's custom knives and that work really surprises me. After I bought my first 2, I found out that he lived within 30 minutes from my hometown so I visited his shop some years back during a trip to the family. Bought two more while I was there. I was at my sharpening infancy and only had Spyderco / Benchmade experience at that point and just couldn't get his knives sharp on a Sharpmaker. During my shop visit I asked what angles he used and he said he did a convex edge and sharpened on a wheel. It didn't make sense to me at the time and I'm way way more educated and experienced now in sharpening / stropping. All that said, my experience is that his bevels could be a little more even and his knives don't come as sharp as I like. But at this point, I really don't care how sharp a knife comes because I can remedy that the right way now, no matter the type of edge (staying with convex, flat or whatever it came with).

Again, not sure what's going on with the knife the OP received. I would return it and try to work things out, then see what happens.
Buds knifes were the first custom I had. I liked his knives I like to sharpen them so it wasn’t a big deal. However I started buying more customs joe Watson, tracker dan and Phil Wilson and hadn’t purchased a Nealy knife in a long time 5 yrs or so.
But who the hell would send this knife out. Bud even said there’s no excuse.
If it seems that I bought shitty knifes from the beginning. Then you need to re read the thread. All the knives were not $550. This is the most he charged me and he jerked me around.

Last edited:
I've purchased about ten bud Nealy knives over the past twenty years. I have never seen any shoddy work, I'm sorry you haven't had the same experience as myself. I can't imagine Bud not addressing any and all issues with the knives your unhappy with should you decide to contact him.
All of my other Nealy’s are great. I love them but this last one that’s just not a accident. That’s just plain not giving a Sh@t. He had the chance to refund me and didn’t I dont know what’s going on over there. The other knives came dull but were nice and about $200 less and had carbon fiber (most of them).

Last edited:
Extremely strange how you've had 7 knives, none of which were of a quality satisfactory to you, yet apparently this Bud Nealy fellow (never heard of him myself) has been making excellent knives for at least the last 20 years. I don't know how this could happen, but I'm interested in seeing how it plays out.
I’m not sure what you read but I said dull. Unsatisfactory knife no, dull yes.

I do find it interesting that Bud has not commented. Is he aware of this thread?
Yes he doesn’t care. I even gave him a $200 deposit. Because I had bought from him before.
Maybe some medical or vision issues I’m not sure. I was able to cancel my charge but I didn’t get deposit and I seriously don’t think he can fix this. And the communications as so bad. Nd the work come on give me a break!’l

6A28A4C6-2046-4E2F-8F0F-F1F32E8735A3.jpeg
Yes he doesn’t care. Money. I even gave him a $200 deposit. Because I had bought from him before. Again happy with the knifes but they came dull they never anything like this. And 5 months of jerking my around. I talked to Bud 3 times in the 3 weeks prior to having knife sent. If it came dull no big deal but look at the grind, handle. its so bad it’s in person.
Maybe some medical or vision issues I’m not sure. I was able to cancel my charge but I didn’t get deposit and I seriously don’t think he can fix this. And the communications was so bad. And the work come on give me a break! ’l

Back