Buddy asks for best chefs knife.

As a cook, I said off the bat wenckel. I dont want him to get a custom and be disappointed, either. Any suggestions?

Wustof 4582/26

That’s the knife my wife used for 23 years as a professional chef, she bought it in New York in the mid 1980’s, it’s still in excellent condition. I sharpen all the knives in our home and this one’s a joy typically only requiring a few passes on a regular cut F Dick steel. You should see her use it.

rh1n2d.jpg

KR

What price range? If you are looking at something in the same range as that Wusthof, I would maybe look at a Misono UX-10.

What about like, maybe a little more, and the perfect knife? None of those $2000 knives but is there something else?

That’s the knife my wife used for 23 years as a professional chef, she bought it in New York in the mid 1980’s, it’s still in excellent condition. I sharpen all the knives in our home and this one’s a joy typically only requiring a few passes on a regular cut F Dick steel. You should see her use it.
KR

I agree, we should.

Maybe you could take a quick video, upload to YouTube and share it with us? (being serious) I'd love to see a pro use that knife.

I agree, we should.

Maybe you could take a quick video, upload to YouTube and share it with us? (being serious) I'd love to see a pro use that knife.

Hmmm, sounds like a good idea to me too, I’ll ask the Chef.

KR

If you are looking something like one piece forged Chef's 8"(203.2mm) 15° blade edge with Walnut handle & under $150.
My vote is for Messermeister Royale Elite Chef's knife. This brand is not marketed as aggressively as others, but I think you got one of the best value quality item in that price range.

fullsizeoutput_8b9.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_8bd.jpeg

Last edited:
You can get a 210mm UX10 all day long for around $160 which cis not much different than what they get for the 180mm. The big price jump is when you go up to the 240mm.

My go to for the last few years has been a
Kohetsu Aogami Super Gyuto 210mm
I purchased mine through Chef Knives To Go.

I am currently working on a budget chef knife < $100 with HAP40 steel and a good design. I don't mean to plug QUITE yet, but I truly believe it may be one of the best on the market when it comes out.
I'd suggest keeping an eye on it.

as for other knives, The Wustof that was suggested is a formidable tool when used by a pro.

Take a look at my forum post for more info.

Back