Budget Bushcraft Kit- $10.00 Winter Shelter

[video=youtube;5Wu_b8cBdEM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Wu_b8cBdEM[/video]

[video=youtube;0nM2IU_qgF8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nM2IU_qgF8[/video]

I broke this down into 2 videos. When I made the kit and the first video it was about 50 above. When I made the second video and shelter it was 5 above. Gotta love the Midwest.

FYI the gal in the picture is a local reporter who wanted to do a news story on Winter Survival.

All the materials to make this shelter came in at under 10 dollars. The back tarp is made from 2 contractor grade trash bags duct taped together. The tie outs are also duct tape. I talk about that in the first video.

The materials laid out.

SS+1.JPG

The frame work was put together with Canadian Jams. If you are building a winter shelter you should use pole to support the snow weight.

SS+2.JPG

A simple girth hitch is used to secure the line to the duct tape tie out.

SS+3.JPG

The $1.00 homemade tarp is secured to the frame with clove hitches.

SS+4.JPG

The $2.00 emergency blanket is tied to the frame.

SS+5.JPG

A free insulation bed made of switch grass with bed logs was installed.

SS+6.JPG

The $3.00 2mil 9'x12' drop cloth was placed over the front and sides of the shelter. It was secured in place with duct tape.

SS+7.JPG

When we took the picture of Jackie laying in the shelter, the temp in it was 58 above. That was without the clear plastic in place. In my opinion it is a great winter shelter option.

Sweet! Really neat idear,thanks for sharing that,my friend,when my son gets home from my parents,I think I'll take him outside round the back and give that a try (love building/doing things with the kids,never had that with my pops) :thumbup:

Sweet! Really neat idear,thanks for sharing that,my friend,when my son gets home from my parents,I think I'll take him outside round the back and give that a try (love building/doing things with the kids,never had that with my pops) :thumbup:

Good for you for getting your kids involved.

Awesome
Thanks for sharing!

Thanks - I'm going to file this.

Thank you very much for sharing this. It's awesome!

Great stuff as always.

Thanks guys I am glad you enjoyed the post.

Have you gone to check up on it? howd did it hold up being left out there?

I used to work at a bookstore and they had these enormous clear plastic trash can bags. they were almost double the size of the contractor bags. I got one of them in my mini kit. Wish I took more before I left the job hahah

Have you gone to check up on it? howd did it hold up being left out there?

I used to work at a bookstore and they had these enormous clear plastic trash can bags. they were almost double the size of the contractor bags. I got one of them in my mini kit. Wish I took more before I left the job hahah

Gonna check it this weekend.

Back