Budget hiking shoes?

I need a good pair of hiking shoes/boots for backpacking. However, I am on a budget, so Im looking to keep them under $100. I have big feet though (size 13 mens) so, yea. Any ideas about what I could find? If I could get them locally that would be a bonus.

I like Altama combat boots with aftermarket inserts. (milsurp)
Surplus Navy "deck boots" are good, too.
Otherwise, check sportsman's guide - you can search their footwear by size.

Check Zappos.com, they do free shipping both ways, so you can try stuff on,though your funds are tied up during the process. I have big feet too(15), with a bunch of metal in a couple different places in the right one, so I'm pretty picky. Merrill has several hiking/outdoor shoes in your price range, might be worth taking a look. That being said, my issued LPCs did me just fine for several year, and new standard issue combat boots aren't all that pricey (Mine only cost me 4 years:)).

Poor boots have ruined as many backpacking trips as poor sleeping bags. A good pair of quality boots will likely be far cheaper in the long run. Often at change of season, sporting goods stores dump the old stock and you can pick up a bargain. The Complete Walker by Colin Fletcher and Chip Rawlins has an excellent section on boots and everything else to do with backpacking.

Cheap hiking boots fall in the same category (well... almost) as cheap parachutes, cheap condoms, and cheap rock climbing equipment.

I've had several pairs... Lowa, North Face, Scarpa, but my current ones... Asolo Fugitive are my favorite.

Keen Targhee II

I am on my second pair. Very comfortable, good price point. I purchased my first pair from a local retailer for around $95.00 and my second pair on steepandcheap.com for around $65.00.

Nathanial4

For a well ventilated hiking shoe and everyday wear as well, I use Merrell Moab Ventilators. They are supremely comfortable, very tough, and cost $80 at Sports Authority or REI. When this pair wears out I'll be getting another. Plus REI and TSA always have 20-25% off sales.

I use them hiking, backpacking, and have run in them too. The only drawback/feature that might be an issue for you is that it isn't a high top boot, though there is a similar boot that is.

Shoe:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12006M/0/Mens/Moab-Ventilator

Midlength Boot:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12005M/0/Mens/Moab-Ventilator-Mid

I have a pair of Merrell moab ventilators that are comfortable and hold up well. They run about $80. Sports Authority has them sometimes.

What kind of backpacking do you do? If you are on maintained trails, you probably don't need a pair of leather wafflestompers. The majority of the people on AT throughhikes do it in sneakers.

I need a good pair of hiking shoes/boots for backpacking. However, I am on a budget, so Im looking to keep them under $100. I have big feet though (size 13 mens) so, yea. Any ideas about what I could find? If I could get them locally that would be a bonus.

long hikes? short hikes? medium hikes? hard hikes? we need more info.. usually the longer and harder the trail the more $$ you should spend. sad but true.

long hikes? short hikes? medium hikes? hard hikes? we need more info.. usually the longer and harder the trail the more $$ you should spend. sad but true.

Before now, I have always used sneakers, but I have a 4 1/2 mile hike in the mountains coming up, and need something abit more.

If there's one thing I wouldn't save money on it's shoes. They protect your feet and during hiking/camping/backpacking you'll spend a lot of time walking and standing.

My Lowa's serve me for 10 years now. I bought them when I was a student and I too was on a budget in those days, but I'm happy I invested money in quality shoes.

If you're changing to a heavier shoe or boot than usual, get them ahead of time and wear them around to be sure they fit comfortably.

For a well ventilated hiking shoe and everyday wear as well, I use Merrell Moab Ventilators. They are supremely comfortable, very tough, and cost $80 at Sports Authority or REI. When this pair wears out I'll be getting another. Plus REI and TSA always have 20-25% off sales.

I use them hiking, backpacking, and have run in them too. The only drawback/feature that might be an issue for you is that it isn't a high top boot, though there is a similar boot that is.

Shoe:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12006M/0/Mens/Moab-Ventilator

Midlength Boot:
http://www.merrell.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/12005M/0/Mens/Moab-Ventilator-Mid

I knew this shoe would come up, and I have to second this nomination. I've had my current pair of Moab Ventilators for about 3 years, and they're still going strong. I need a new pair, but these still work.

So far, I've hiked many miles in them, worn them mountain biking, and around town. In every circumstance they're light, comfortable, and supportive. They make an excellent hiking shoe -- I recently used mine on a 4.5 mile round trip geocaching hike/rock climb that took about 6 hours of hiking (up very steep mountains, down very steep boulder fields, across exposed rock), and they did great. I tried to use them for the rock climb at the end, but they didn't work so well there.:(

Link to geocache for those interested.

I have spent a LOT of time on trail from Alaska to Belize and I absolutely agree that the most important piece of gear you will have with you will be a good pair of comfortable boots. The ventilators are nice, I wear a pair of Danners. Whatever you end up in, make sure you break them in before you go - yes even the lightweight synthetic tennis shoe types. Also, make sure they fit properly. That probably means a half size larger than you normally wear to compensate for foot swelling and two pair of quality socks, but your feet will tell you which is size is ultimately right for you. Don't forget to get a pair with a breathable waterproof membrane if you think the terrain will require it. If there is a specialty store near you, use them. The higher price you will pay (versus an online transaction) will be money well spent for the advice and quality fit. Good luck and have fun - thats what its all about!

Back