Buffalo Bend

So, I got a veg tanned Buffalo bend from Weaver to use for some belts. Looks wonderful but I do seem to have some challenges. First, I am having some difficulty with the contact cement sticking well. So far, I have only done test pieces that have generally not bonded well with Barge. I roughed up one sample and it was better and I roughed up and wiped one with alcohol and it seemed pretty good. The second challenge is edging. I like really smooth edges and I cannot seem to get there with this stuff.
Any thoughts or ideas from others that may have used it?
Randy

I’m kind of new to leather work. So please nobody take this as sacrilege, but I stopped using contact cement and started using clear grip gorilla glue. I think it works great. As far as edging, I can’t help. High grit sandpaper? High speed burnisher? Maybe some beeswax in the mix? Those are things I do sometimes. Also, where is the “bend” cut? If it’s towards the belly the grain might not be tight enough and too soft. I could be way off here. I have some leather that behaves that way and beeswax helped.

All the best, Jon

I appreciate your input Jon. The bend is probably the best part of a hide for belts. The belly and shoulder are cut off so what is left is solid and strong. I do a lot of different things for edging including wax and powered burnishers but this stuff seems to be resistant to most.

We make a bunch of belts out of this water buffalo leather, sheaths, holsters, spurstraps, straps for rifle scabbards and holsters, linings on breast collars, headstalls too. I mean we use this a lot. Years ago we switched to this glue for all our leatherwork:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DAP-Weldwood-32-fl-oz-Nonflammable-Contact-Cement-25332/100174435

Prior to that we'd been using Barge. This stuff is way better. We get it at Home Depot and buy the gallon size. Ya can thin it with water if ya need too and it doesn't kill brain cells. I believe it out performs Barge and it certainly sticks to oily/waxy leathers better than Barge. We use a wide variety of leathers and I have yet to find one that this does not work on. The only thing I have found it will not stick too is the ribbon on a zipper. These days I use basking tape for that anyways so it doesn't matter. Getting the green can of this is important. there is a red can too but that is different stuff and WILL kill your brain cells. We pour it into squeeze type ketchup bottles from the dollar store for use in the shop.

Most leathers ya should rough up prior to glueing and I've found that its vital with the water buffalo. I use a rat tail file. This little WIP covers that in some detail with pics. All the belts being made are water buffalo by the way:

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/beltatathon.1507381/

I have changed my edging procedure for water buffalo though since then. I have found that just plain water seems to work about the best. All edges are sanded first on a 120 belt and then edged with an edger. I'll get the edge pretty darn wet using a sponge. I don't worry about getting a little extra on the project cause the water buffalo just shrugs the water off and it doesn't seem to spot like reg veg tan would. Then I rub the edge using my lathe and rosewood rubbing stick. The stick has paraffin wax on it and I apply more wax to the stick as needed. Use a lot of pressure too. Sometimes I'll come back over using Wyoming Quick Slik from Barry King after the water, but not always. Water seems to get er pretty darn good. On some special projects I've come back over the edge with a wooden tool handle by hand. This will cause a real sheen but don't do it on day to day stuff, power rubbing gets er good.

Straps on this rifle scabbard we just shipped are water buffalo:

8KiEGu1.jpg

Straps and linings on both of these martingales are water buffalo:

ObotkST.jpg

GkcQK17.jpg

Nichole's holster for her new pistol is grey water buffalo as is her belt and pancake sheath:

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5Qc_-1JnVB/

mESdHZL.jpg

Spurstraps:

OrimDEn.jpg

lLVDRGt.jpg

Belt and sheath:

uHGswPl.jpg

Steve's suspenders:

aSfKMFB.jpg

sj6LvzH.jpg

Straps on a feed bag for a tired horse:

8TYJjqt.jpg

Headstall on same horse getting tired:

hPZIDsP.jpg

Babes and belts and a couple sheaths:

pONgqox.jpg

cbf1ssO.jpg

BCEidkE.jpg

c67MPzJ.jpg

o2jboKl.jpg

Anyhoo you get the idea. We use a lot of this water buffalo stuff. Yeah the bend is definitely the best part of the side. While I'm not a Weaver fanboy (long story), I do get the water buffalo there. I've bought this from other suppliers and the bends from Weaver are markedly longer. Important if your cutting out belts. This leather is a very economically priced quality leather and you can really make a return on a bend of this stuff. Its very durable too and just seems to get better with age. My own personal belt was the second one I ever made from this leather. Its just getting better, I've worn it daily since I made it several years ago:

pKEHpwE.jpg

The holster too is water buffalo but a different chrome tan chap type leather, used here as an overlay.

This veg tan water buffalo is a great leather. Doesn't tool worth a darn so don't bother and it doesn't edge as good or as easy as some others but a good edge can be accomplished with some work.

Thanks for all the info Dave. I had mostly switched to the cement you mentioned but thought the Barge would work better on the buffalo. I will do a few more samples using that instead and, based on your experience, I suspect I will get the results I want.

I am making gun belts so I have one layer of W&C 8 oz inside and the 8 oz Buffalo on the outside. I sand edges even on a belt sander with 250 grit, use an edger then glycerin saddle soap and water for the initial edge rubbing. Then dye and finish with a 50/50 bees wax paraffin mix, rubbed in with a powered tool. Generally, this gives me a really smooth polished edge but the buffalo side still looks a bit rough. Maybe just the nature of the beast. My wife says it has character, or did she say I was the character?
Randy

Thanks for all the info Dave. I had mostly switched to the cement you mentioned but thought the Barge would work better on the buffalo. I will do a few more samples using that instead and, based on your experience, I suspect I will get the results I want.

I am making gun belts so I have one layer of W&C 8 oz inside and the 8 oz Buffalo on the outside. I sand edges even on a belt sander with 250 grit, use an edger then glycerin saddle soap and water for the initial edge rubbing. Then dye and finish with a 50/50 bees wax paraffin mix, rubbed in with a powered tool. Generally, this gives me a really smooth polished edge but the buffalo side still looks a bit rough. Maybe just the nature of the beast. My wife says it has character, or did she say I was the character?
Randy

Good deal Randy. Ya know I do thinks some bends seem to finish better than others too. I sure know we have sold a bunch of em. Your wife might be on the right track , one way or the other. Ya might try another sanding at 400 grit on the buff side after the 220.

I will give the 400 a try Dave. Do you put anything on the buffalo as a finish. It sure does not seem like it needs oil.
First test with the green Weldwood worked great!

Last edited:
I will give the 400 a try Dave. Do you put anything on the buffalo as a finish. It sure does not seem like it needs oil.
First test with the green Weldwood worked great!

Good deal. Sometimes I do. Not on belts though but on holsters, sheaths and headstalls I have. BagKote.

Back