Bug ID!!

Monofletch

Basic Member
I was buzzed by this huge mosquito looking bug on someone’s porch. It flew like a mosquito too! I am in south St. Louis if that helps! What is it? I have lived in this area most of my life… 7 years in the Army- never seen one before.

My initial thought was actually crane fly, as they do resemble a mosquito in form, just scaled up in size, but crane flies are usually super delicately built. The more robust anatomy of the fella in the picture, particularly of the legs, which I believe are for aid in capturing other bugs in flight, makes me just about certain about my robber fly guess. That said, I’m no entomologist, but I believe neither is harmful to people.

My initial thought was actually crane fly, as they do resemble a mosquito in form, just scaled up in size, but crane flies are usually super delicately built. The more robust anatomy of the fella in the picture, particularly of the legs, which I believe are for aid in capturing other bugs in flight, makes me just about certain about my robber fly guess. That said, I’m no entomologist, but I believe neither is harmful to people.
Crane flies are wispy things, I'm guessing Monofletch wouldn't be alarmed lol.

Back