Bug-out blades?

I don't keep a "bug-out" bag per say but I keep a "get home" bag that I take with me when I drive very far from home. For any of you that keep some sort of emergency preparedness bag, which blade or blades do you keep in it? I keep going back and fourth with a Ratweiler or a Bushwacker as a standalone to save weight, and a Huck paired with a Ratmandu as a "handle any situation" combo. What are your thoughts on a pack blade or blades? Pack lite or go loaded for bear?

I actually carry a RMD and a good hatchet in my Get Back Home bag (carried in a car, just like you). My attitude is if I have to dismount my vehicle and hoof it home I want to have options to add to my bag or leave in the vehicle to save on weight (what I would take is dependent on the distance from home/weather/season/etc). Most scenarios—even extreme ones—wouldn’t call for me to carry more cutting power than a RMD and a hatchet if all I’m trying to do is make it back to my house. That’s my philosophy, anyway.

If it was an apocalyptic situation like you see in the movies, probably a BB13 CG, plus a SCABS and a leatherman wave or skeletool. If it was just walking home after a fire or earthquake had closed a bunch of roads so I couldn't drive, I would dump the BB13. If it was a walk through the wilderness, with possible hunting and shelter building required, maybe a bushwacker and scabs along with a folding saw.

B8LE WF and a good folder.:thumbsup::cool:

(and a Glock 19)

(+ I always have a HOGB8, along with a good hatchet and ax, in my SUV’s boot, and a B11 under the driver’s seat.)

Last edited:
Well my 1311 I recently bought is a really strong contender. I am liking how it splits limbs into kindling with light batoning. My nuke NFNO I recently got, I certainly couldn't part with it in the event of apocalypse scenario. I almost always edc one of my Park Rangers when not at work. I'd pass out a few blades to close friends and relatives. My sister has laid claim to my BG Ak-47. I have beat the snot out of my RMJ Shrike so it is going in the truck .

The last rites will be one to put in a bug out bag in the future

dmGxDYl.jpg

I actually carry a RMD and a good hatchet in my Get Back Home bag (carried in a car, just like you). My attitude is if I have to dismount my vehicle and hoof it home I want to have options to add to my bag or leave in the vehicle to save on weight (what I would take is dependent on the distance from home/weather/season/etc). Most scenarios—even extreme ones—wouldn’t call for me to carry more cutting power than a RMD and a hatchet if all I’m trying to do is make it back to my house. That’s my philosophy, anyway.
That really is a good idea that I had not considered.

My vehicle permanently has a ratmandu and BB13 in it, along with a leatherman supertool, small custom fixed blade (about 3" blade), a pig sticker and a full size axe, so I should be good if I'm with my vehicle. I should probably throw a GHB in there though.

My get home pack consists of a benchmade 908, Basic 8 le, ffbm.. and I always carry my Ash1 everywhere I go..
More than i need sure.. but I'm so used to bringing those everywhere i go that it wouldn't be anything new to treck home with them.

I keep a FTG and DS6 in my “work bag,” along with a FAK of medicines and bandaids, and a second FAK for serious, life-threatening injuries. Along with extra power for cell phone, a bandanna, some extra Paracord, work gloves, poncho, and water. As necessary, a laptop and lunch gets carried as well. This bag goes with me pretty much everywhere, including into the office.

In the truck, I keep a poncho liner, tow strap, rope, several figure 9’s, and a CRKT Chogan tomahawk (the one without the spike, with full tang under the scales; not the one with wooden handle. I also keep a workout bag with my workout clothes, and NFSH right now.

And I’ll isually have several folding knives on me, of various sizes (from Vic Classic up to a 4” Tactical folder) and Leatherman Surge on my belt.

I’ll vary the big knives in the bags over time, but generally stick with 7”+ blades, and almost always a Busse, whether INFI, SR-101, or A2.

Sorry, I guess that’s more than just a GHB. But I prefer options. And like a layered approach. The main GHB, though, is the first one, with the FAKs.

I used to keep my comp sjtac, but now I use that more as my around the woods knife. I bought a ratweiler to use as my BOB knife, but am thinking of switching it out for either an HDFK or a kill devil hawk and a small Busse. Or maybe the the gemini a2. Ugh, too many choices, and I haven't even looked in my Busse Box to see what else I might have kicking around.

Back