Bugout 535 blue to black scales RIT dye ?

Welcome and good luck guys ! ... Post some results !

I haven't tired the Easy Off on the factory blue thumb studs. I just replaced mine.
It may work on them also as another option. I have no conformation though.

Last edited:
Can i have a pic of any black dyed scales next to bm initially black griptilian etc scales? Darker than those, right?

Well ... I didn’t get to finish pics of finally assembly with the original studs ... will try to do so tonight.
Here’s a pic of the easy off removing the anodizing from the studs. I did swirl plate around a bit to help cut the blue. They came out nice and shiny silver. After the soaking I did have to bush the edges with a stiff plastic bristle brush to get remaining blue out. Also used a toothpick and paper towel to clean the centers out.
I know you can get silver studs from BM but wanted to see if these being a lil shorter and lighter would clean up. Also the natural aluminum matches the stripped aluminum back spacers a lil better now ...
7c8aecae4c18e77ac45eed82f5655038.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks to Jpd0144, I am the newest member of the BBC...the Black Bugout Club. Everything went as planned...incredibly easy, actually...thanks to the detailed instructions. Couldn't be happier with the results.

I swapped the thumb studs between my Bugout and Mini Grip. Now I have a custom Mini Grip! Ha... I plan to order black Mini Grip thumb studs for the Bugout to complete the look (and put the silver ones back on the Mini).

I used some Birchwood/Casey Super Black (used to touch up bluing on guns) to color the copper-colored* screw holes for the unused pocket clip (*that result from the dying process)...just applied some to a paper clip and swirled it around until the copper was covered...before reassembling the knife.

I also added a rear spacer that effectively covered up the blue standoffs. Jury is still out on keeping it, but...I saw it on Etsy and it was all of $14 (and made 20 minutes from my house) and easily installed. You might be able to see that I trimmed the one piece of jimping at the top bend in the handle...was too prominent, poked my palm and the trim actually made it considerably more comfortable. (The trim job may look kinda ratty in these clos-ups, but...even as anal as I am about this kind of thing, it's hard to notice while handling the knife.)

Here they are on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/540646...out-custom-back-spacer?ref=shop_home_active_2

Here are some pics. Thanks again, Jpd0144!

2JdhNyR

2HwB9Sr

2vxaaBa

2JbYcPv

Last edited:
Well...this is what happens when you wake up at 4 Am and can't go back to sleep. Started looking at the blue thumb studs on the Mini Grip and decided that the Bugout needed those back...to help retain some of the spirit of the original.

So...I did a quick swap (and removed the Etsy spacer). Maybe these comparison pics will help others who are doing this black-out project decide how to accessorize their new favorite EDC. (Hey, maybe they'll keep me from going back and forth 'til I strip out the screws. Ha...)

2F2Mrbu

2qOIYbs

2qNU959

Thanks to Jpd0144, I am the newest member of the BBC...the Black Bugout Club. Everything went as planned...incredibly easy, actually...thanks to the detailed instructions. Couldn't be happier with the results.

I used some Birchwood/Casey Super Black (used to touch up bluing on guns) to color the copper-colored* screw holes for the unused pocket clip (*that result from the dying process)...just applied some to a paper clip and swirled it around until the copper was covered...before reassembling the knife.

Your welcome !... Looks great !

Nice job on the Birchwood/Casey Super Black. I'll have to remember that !

Last edited:
That etsy spacer looks 3D printed. Much better with the blue barrel spacers. :thumbsup:
You be right...it was 3D printed. It wasn't horrible, but that one jimp/ridge right at the bend was harsh. Hate to be a wimp, but...it was uncomfortable...unlike the plain Bugout handle, which feels great in the hand.:thumbsup:

Very nice. has any one tried another color, like yellow to make green, or red to make purple?

Mike

Thanks !

I’m sure someone out there has Mike. Personally I’ve only done the blue to black / and now the green to black.

Nice! Now you are making me want to get a green one. What did you do to the standoffs?

Thanks !

I first stripped them. Then hit them with with Birchwood/Casey aluminum black. It’s sort of like a bluing process. Took about 6 or 7 coats. Then sanded the edges with extra fine grit paper laying flat on a mouse pad. Sort or lightly rolled/skidded them over it to stay uniform while removing the finish off the edges.

Back