Building a Belt (Completed)

Yes it would carry a gun very well. Part of why I build em so stout.

No the buckle doesn't have a moving tongue. Just that prong. Works backwards than normal but works very well. Weaver calls it the Paul buckle because Paul Weaver designed it. They are solid and very well made and probably the higest qualit buckle for $ around. They are only a couple of three bucks. Comes in brass, stainless and stainless done like JWP buckles.

Nice Belt .

Gary Graley gave me one of those buckles , and I can highly recommend them for their finish and simplicity , they work really well .
From memory I searched them up to see if they came in smaller sizes , but couldn't find any smaller than what Gary sent .
Dave the belt you made me was what got me thinking about smaller buckles . The design ( I don't know what you call it ) where the belt narrows down at the ends is a great feature , especially for those of us who are getting older and BIGGER around the middle . My days of wearing large belt buckles are over and the narrowness of a small buckle where your gut touches it is a great comfort feature .

Ken

Good deal Ken thanks. Ya need to stick a couple pics of your belt up if ya get a chance. Didn't mean to get ya in trouble didn't realize it was a chick magnet! I call that style a "tapered" belt. Here's a pic of one for folks to understand what we're talking aobut. So I call the style I built for Florian here a "straight" belt and the other as in this pic is tapered.

aYMIUiH.jpg

Dave ,

I keep forgetting to take some pics of my - your belt .
I'm back home on the weekend so will try to remember .

If I can do some blatant advertising for Dave , I'd just like to highly recommend his belts to everyone here , if your in the market for a new one then give him a bell .

Ken

Great thread Dave, thanks!
Where did you get the brass keeper from? On Weaver's site they only list up to 1" wide.
thanks!
Mark

I got the keeper from them. I order out of their print catalog. I've always had trouble with their site. For those interested they also sell a tip for this set.

Yeah I been ordering from them before there was an internet so have jsut stayed with the print catalog. You bet.

Very nice tutorial Dave, wish I had this to guide me when I started, I have still got my first belt as a reminder of where I am now compared to the beginning.

Hi Dave, I built a belt using your step by step pictorial. I'm going to build another one but I want to make sure I get the skiving/splitting correct. How far up do you start the skiving/splitting on the tip end and the buckle end? I'm thinking the buckle end would start a little past the forth hole from the end, not to sure on the tip end, maybe a little past the fifth hole from the end. I skived the ends of the first belt but maybe not enough.
Thanks, John
IMG_0213%201_zpsjxwqmg8t_1.jpg

The real question here, Dave, is how long it took you to rethread your wife's Cobra 18 after you took the pink thread out of it. ;)

Jason

John that is one great looking belt!! Nice job buddy. On the skivving I would do from an inch or two inside of all the holes at the tip end and at the buckle end the entire fold and corresponding distance on the front side.

Now I've been making more belts out of water buffalo lately than English bridle. Its a little lighter, more flexible leather. I end the lining between the buckle screw holes so I don't skive that part as the buckle end is not lined at the fold. Just the single layer of the water buffalo at the fold. I haven't been doing the tips either as this leather just doesn't seem to need it. Ya put a brand new one on and it seems the belt kinda is broken in already. But ya build a belt out of a stiffer leather that skivving idea works well.

Jason, who says I do?

bqnReRc.jpg

rnHHAiR.jpg

CPEWMiV.jpg

Funny thing is made a bunch of belts for a show. The very first one we sold was sewn in a double row of pink!

OK thanks Dave, Not sure if I interpreted that correctly. Skive just the tip on the tip end and not where the holes are? or one or two inches before the holes, skive the holes to the tip?
Funny thing is I used that same rustic buckle on my belt but took it off for the picture because I thought it wouldn't go with the shinny brass Chicago screws. I like the rustic buckle with that type of leather. This is the first quality belt for me and I will never go back to store bought.
John S.
IMG_0222_zps5iscgt4p.jpg

Last edited:
Ya'll are making me want to make a belt....especially since I saw that handy dandy strap cutter.

Haven't posted in a while. Bought a new house so we could have a respectable shop instead of working out of the garage (we were out of room!). First project for me in the new digs is a few belts, and I always seem to refer to this post so I thought I'd bring it back to the top of the page to make it easier for me, and maybe it'll help some other folks as well :)

Back