Building a resume (finally)..any advice?

Oh, I myself need some advice. I just have no idea what to write in my resume. I study in college and my homework was to write a resume and the problem is that before I did not. I have a few ideas, but I can’t formulate my thoughts correctly. [spam removed] but to be honest even that doesn't help me. I’m even afraid to imagine how I will write a resume in order to get a job!

Last edited by a moderator:
USAjobs.gov has a standard resume builder. It's geared towards gov't funded positions, many of which require you to already be in one of the departments or agencies. But they have over 10,000 positions open to the public, which is how to get in the system. Resumes built can be saved as a pdf and used for positions outside the gov't.

Take an add out in the nearest large market “Hiring” for the job you want. Setup an email for resumes to be sent to. Read over the entries and get a good idea of the current crop of competition.

Another thing to keep in mind. Since the majority of resumes are submitted via email now, many are filtered and sorted using keywords relevant to the position. Being in college, you won't have experience in many of those areas but you might get a few more bonus points by including some relevant words in your resume. "I'm interested in learning x, x, and X" for example.

You're right. Writing a resume is so complicated nowadays.

Oh, I myself need some advice. I just have no idea what to write in my resume. I study in college and my homework was to write a resume and the problem is that before I did not. I have a few ideas, but I can’t formulate my thoughts correctly. [spam removed] but to be honest even that doesn't help me. I’m even afraid to imagine how I will write a resume in order to get a job!

Pm me your email

If you are in college or just out of college, you list course work that is generic to the position you seek, any summer jobs you have had, GPA and so forth. Once you get a few year's experience in your field, then college becomes less important and you just mention degree, gpa if it was high, and year. Lots of resume formats available on line and built into software like MS Word. Most important thing is to be HONEST.

Back