Building a Survial Pack for the Boy

Looking for advise on putting together a little survival pack for my 8 year old. What are the main can't do without things to put in it. I don't want to overload it because I know if it's too heavy and uncomfortable he won't carry it. Below are some things that I'm thinking about. What else do I need?

55 gal heavy duty bright orange trash bag
Bright orange bandana
Altoids fire starter kit with firesteel, fire starter straws, lighter
Knife-he has various Moras, Helle Odel, Opinel folder, and SAK that I can add and will probably have on in his pocket or on his belt.
Emergency whistle
Flashlight
Some high energy food
Small first aid kit

What's it missing? Remember this is for a kid and although I want it complete, I also want it light and optimized.

something for water probably would be good... maybe a cup/nalgene/small pot/some purification tablets or a filter

a decent compass and a map (and a fun time learning to use them)

some cordage

Can't believe I forgot about water.
I've got to learn to use a compass and map myself.
I forgot to mention the cordage but I usually pack some bright orange para cord for him too along with orange duct tape. I want to make sure someone sees him if he get's lost.

Signal mirror. It can be a store bought one, or polished metal. Either way, he should be shown a method for it's use.

Cell phone can also be invaluable, but all kids have those right?

It sounds like you already realized a water bottle of some sort is excellent. The fact that you're getting him used to the idea of having a pack is great. Our best survival tool will always be our minds, and training our minds with habit of being prepared is excellent.

I would say a compass is essential for the young man's kit, even if you don't have, or plan to use, a map. Teach him the four cardinal directions. That way when you set out on the trail, you can say "Today we're hiking west, so which direction leads back to the truck?" If he's been paying attention, he'll say "East". That way he at least knows which direction to follow the trail if you get turned around or separated.

Something I had to learn with my son was not to let him get too dependent on me to be the trail navigator. We ride ATVs in some fairly remote areas and I've had to purpose to remember that he needs to learn how to get back to camp or to the nearest town if something happens to me or he gets separated from our ride crew.

SP

Signal mirror. It can be a store bought one, or polished metal. Either way, he should be shown a method for it's use.

Cell phone can also be invaluable, but all kids have those right?

Believe it or not he did just get a phone. It was more for my piece of mind than anything else but that would be something to throw in the bag just in case he could get a signal. I wonder if I could polish the lid of and Altoids can enough to where it could serve the purpose of a mirror without adding any extra weight.

I think mtwardens minimal kit using the hot beverage bag and katadyn ClO2 tabs in the survival equipment around your neck thread elsewhere in the forum is an excellent example...top of the line product choices

I would include some instructions
maybe some kind of flash card instructions if they make them
(if they dont and someone does,I want 49% :) )

one last thing I would definitely include,
a picture of the family,maybe the dog too
remember,a kid lost at night might need some help
for the heart as well as the brain and body.

I think kits are generally area dependant but there are fundamentals and the kit should help you procure them ie. first aid, food, fire, water, shelter and signalling.

- sun protection
- insect repellant
- satellite phone or epirb ;)

Noooo .... not the kit forum

I just thought of something else... the picture reminded me.

It might be nice to have his name and your name & some contact information. You could put it in a waterproof envelope and pin it to the inside of the bag... just in case something happens to you or you get separated and he's a bit frazzled.

Here's my son's kit he's used in the past:

5ddef987.jpg

KidsKit.jpg

Kids3.jpg

Kids4.jpg

His first knife was carried on his pack:

KidsFB1.jpg

KidsFB2.jpg

Of course an instruction card is always a good idea:

LostCards.jpg

Now that we are doing more backpacking and he's a little bigger (just turned 12), he uses a small belt kit:

BSAScoutPouch-1.jpg

BSAScoutPouch-2.jpg

Of course, his knife-choices have change a bit, but he always has a pocket knife, LED light and whistle:

KidsEDC.jpg

ROCK6

My thread about the BSA's 10 essentials should help, too. But, it's pretty much spelled out for you in Rock6's post, there. Rock you got it down.

Triquetra,
You and your son need to get involved in scouting. You guys will both love it and benefit from it. Go to www.scouting.org to find your local council, call them and they will guide you to a pack or troop. Take care and good luck in the out of doors.

I had a pair of dog tags made for my son and I. Might be something you want to look into. You can fit all of the important info on them. Name and Blood type, phone #, address... all that kind of stuff. Plus there are several dog tag style signal mirrors you can get to put on them. Oh, and yes you can polish the altoid lid to signal. It should be pretty shiny already. Shouldn't take much polishing.

Last edited:
I had a pair of dog tags made for my son and I. Might be something you want to look into. You can fit all of the important info on them. Name and Blood type, phone #, address... all that kind of stuff. Plus there are several dog tag style signal mirrors you can get to put on them. Oh, and yes you can polish the altoid lid to signal. It should be pretty shiny already. Shouldn't take much polishing.

Man, that's funny Rick...I did the same thing:thumbup:! My son had a set of tags with info. I need to update, although he's a little older, name, blood-type and contact number are always a good thing (especially if found unconcious).

ROCK6

ROCK6, awesome kit there good setup

CM Rick, good advice there to

damn you W&SS members youve beat me to it and covered pretty much everything, the only thing I will add is make sure your boy knows how to effectivly use all the gear in his pack, having gear is great but if you dont know how to use it its worthless, gear+skills equals good safe times in the field

regards,

Stew

Back