Built my first sheath today

As a matter of fact, it was my first time to do any leather work period. I’m not quite done with it. This pic is the wet forming step. I’m waiting for it to dry out so I can oil it and finish it up. Their is one boo boo on the basket weaving. I had a mis hit near the bottom. All in all, I think it turned out relatively well for my first attempt. Comments and criticisms are always welcomed.

ryhPcqZ.jpg

That is about as good as it gets for a first attempt. Well done partner.
Randy

I would be proud to call that mine. Great job and keep em coming.

I agree, very nice. A little sandpaper on a stick will clean up where you elongated the belt holes.

Excellent job! I've seen stuff offered for sale at shows not that good, by a long shot. I have also used a push skiver straight down to clean up the slots. Both Osborne and Weaver make a 2" slot/bag punch that works great for that. Kinda spendy though, the Weaver is a better tool. On the next one what excess leather is there that you don't need? Get er a little more svelte. Great job!!!

My first knives looked better than my first sheaths, easy to make...hard to make well..Good job!

Thanks guys. This was a really fun project. I’ve had people ask me about sheaths to go with my knives, but I’d never done them. I’m excited to be able to offer the whole package.

Last edited:
Looks really nice !!!! Great job , well done !!!!!

Excellent job! I've seen stuff offered for sale at shows not that good, by a long shot. I have also used a push skiver straight down to clean up the slots. Both Osborne and Weaver make a 2" slot/bag punch that works great for that. Kinda spendy though, the Weaver is a better tool. On the next one what excess leather is there that you don't need? Get er a little more svelte. Great job!!!

I really like it! How difficult was it to learn to do?

If you’re asking me, it wasn’t difficult at all. I watched a few YouTube videos and read horsewright’s step by step instructions and went after it. The key is to have the proper tools.

Back