Bummer! First dull Spyderco!

I received my first dull Spyderco..a PM! It came in today and is by far the dullest one I've gotten..it won't even shave my arm hair. While it's sharper than most other brands I've just gotten used to razor sharpness. Oh well...nothing a touch up on my Sharpmaker won't fix. At least it's perfectly centered and has a nice relief edge.

Same! Disappointing to say the least. I've gotten so familiar with the lack of sharpness, that I sliced myself on the new 940.

Unfortunately I don't yet have a Sharpmaker, lol.

The Sharpmaker works well...as long as the factory edge angle is 15 or 20 per side. If not it can get frustrating quick. Still bummed I paid $120 and it will barely slice paper.

I ve bought a number of high quality knives that weren t particularly sharp out of the box. I now plan on sharpening all of my knives after I get them, unless I want to keep them as collectibles.

I ve bought a number of high quality knives that weren t particularly sharp out of the box. I now plan on sharpening all of my knives after I get them, unless I want to keep them as collectibles.

By Benchmade standards this would be atom splitting sharp....but man has Spyderco spoiled me with my military and previous pm2.

I think it is great that Spyderco does such a solid job of sending out their new knives with such a high level of sharpness. They are so consistent that it really stands out when every now and then you get one that isn't hair splitting sharp. The truth is though I always sharpen mine as soon as I get them and take them to the next level so its hard to get too bothered about the occasional one that slips through at "less than razor sharp".

I think it is great that Spyderco does such a solid job of sending out their new knives with such a high level of sharpness. They are so consistent that it really stands out when every now and then you get one that isn't hair splitting sharp. The truth is though I always sharpen mine as soon as I get them and take them to the next level so its hard to get too bothered about the occasional one that slips through at "less than razor sharp".

I think I would agree with you, and while my PM2 is only the 2nd Spyderco I've ever owned/used, my Delica shocked me. I'd never experienced what a sharp knife was like until I put that thing to work for the first time. I've always used knives for years without even cleaning the tape and crap off them, let alone sharpening 'em. I used to be the guy choking up, holding the blade to make small cuts. I find myself doing that with my PM2 lately, and though it isn't dull, it isn't on par with how the Delica came.

I've had lots of Spydercos. Probably 19 of 20 have been very sharp. One was not sharp enuf to satisfy me. However, those blades are ground by an individual, and not all employees are experienced when they first learn...
I'm not letting the Company off at all. I've had many Benchmades, and most of them have been quite dull when new.
For a person who likes knives, it makes sense to learn how to sharpen your own if/when necessary. It doesn't have to be expensive.

I think I've gotten maybe one or two Spydercos out of the 10-12 I've bought (down to 3 now) that wasn't ridiculously sharp. The Military I bought about a month ago probably wins. It wave cuts and push cuts phone book paper and so aggressive that it cuts things like plastic wrap with the slightest draw. Really the perfect edge.

I agree with that. I got my Manix 2 in S110V and it wouldn't shave, which shocked my girlfriend. Me? I'm not that upset since I prefer to put my own edge to it anyway. I'm not a fan of carrying a knife, any knife, with just the factory edge and I don't really care what factory.

The Manix is unreasonably sharp and in my pocket right now. :)

I agree with that. I got my Manix 2 in S110V and it wouldn't shave, which shocked my girlfriend. Me? I'm not that upset since I prefer to put my own edge to it anyway. I'm not a fan of carrying a knife, any knife, with just the factory edge and I don't really care what factory.

Unreasonably sharp. Hahah. I like that! :D

Unreasonably sharp. Hahah. I like that! :D

Sat through a conference call at work with it, just slowly disassembling a sheet of copier paper. It was a bit of a mess to clean up, but that thing is fairly sharp! I spent part of last night putting the first decent edge on it.

The perils of reading too fast.......I had to go back a re-read to clarify. I edited the quote to show how I read it, Haha.

I agree with that. I got my Manix 2 in S110V and it wouldn't shave [ speed read/skipped over this area ] my girlfriend.

razor sharp out of the box has never been a deal breaker for me.

Also, Unreasonable is reasonable around here......

The perils of reading too fast.......I had to go back a re-read to clarify. I edited the quote to show how I read it, Haha.
QUOTE]

I showed her that last night and she laughed. She carries a lightweight Native5 and shaves herself. :)

Back