Buoy, Junior, & the Bull

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Title sounds like a bad 80's sitcom doesn't it?

Top is an S-guard 7" Bowie
Middle is a single guard Bowie in 6"
Bottom is a Bullnose in 5"
IMG_20180301_223508.jpg
52100 in .17"
Rough profiled and the shoulders are cut in, thermal cycling next.

Yee-aa Bouy!
You're killing me, John! How am I going to tell the wife?:(:D

Looking good!

Last edited:
Baby Bull in that company. Cool :cool: 3 more to get cited bout. :thumbsup:

Ray

Bow bow....

Chic.....chic-a chic-a

Oh.

Yeah. :cool:

f16e0ed535e46c3cf425d98460df5f925586ea41407b9120f2df460acd2ad0cb.jpg

This too... :D

Ran thermal cycles from 1650°-1350 in 100° increments with a cool to black in between for grain refinement and to dissolve the carbides in the 52100 from Aldo which comes in a spheroidized state. That allows hardenability and gives me a fine grain size. The thermal cycles are done with the blades wrapped in stainless foil to prevent excessive scaling. I do that stage after profiling. This also anneals the steel even more and makes it easier to work with. I also run a test coupon during thermal cycles to test hardenability and grain size afterwards to verify the results. In this case the test coupon was a template for the Model #2 which out of the quench tested at 64-65RC. A first temper at 375° for 1:45 gave 62-61 RC, and a second temper at 400° gave me a final hardness of 60-61RC. For the Model #2, I'm happy with that result in that size of blade. I may raise the temper temperatures in these larger blades during the temper and drop a point of hardness. With Buoy, Jr. and the Bull now thermal cycled, they were center scribed top and bottom and marked with Redmeadow on the presentation side. The swedge on the Bull was laid in on the grinder and finished by hand, that portion won't see the belt after it's hardened like the rest of the blade will so it's important to get the swedges as close to centered and finished as possible. The swedge on the Bowie is next and then it's main bevel put on. The Jr. will have a very this distal taper and no swedge unless it tells me it needs one afterwards, but I think a clean tapered blade is called for there.

That is an example of Tl:dr

IMG_20180306_114910-1024x1366.jpg

Ran thermal cycles from 1650°-1350 in 100° increments with a cool to black in between for grain refinement and to dissolve the carbides in the 52100 from Aldo which comes in a spheroidized state. That allows hardenability and gives me a fine grain size. The thermal cycles are done with the blades wrapped in stainless foil to prevent excessive scaling. I do that stage after profiling. This also anneals the steel even more and makes it easier to work with. I also run a test coupon during thermal cycles to test hardenability and grain size afterwards to verify the results. In this case the test coupon was a template for the Model #2 which out of the quench tested at 64-65RC. A first temper at 375° for 1:45 gave 62-61 RC, and a second temper at 400° gave me a final hardness of 60-61RC. For the Model #2, I'm happy with that result in that size of blade. I may raise the temper temperatures in these larger blades during the temper and drop a point of hardness. With Buoy, Jr. and the Bull now thermal cycled, they were center scribed top and bottom and marked with Redmeadow on the presentation side. The swedge on the Bull was laid in on the grinder and finished by hand, that portion won't see the belt after it's hardened like the rest of the blade will so it's important to get the swedges as close to centered and finished as possible. The swedge on the Bowie is next and then it's main bevel put on. The Jr. will have a very this distal taper and no swedge unless it tells me it needs one afterwards, but I think a clean tapered blade is called for there.

View attachment 862577
That needs a double tap LIKE!

Melvin - I spit my coffee on that one. Scuze me while I clean my screen :confused: :D

And John - I love watching Redmeadow progress. :thumbsup:

As for double tapping the like, I need to double tap the read to soak it all in - not being as sharp as some others - yet.

Very cool!

Ray

Last edited:
What a load of bull!

I really like that load of bull.

Very cool John, I really like that bull nose you have there, I made a skinner template up similar to that years but have never made a knife with it. Do you have a hardness tester or do you use the files to test your hardness?

View attachment 862577

Definitely NOT tl;dr!!!

I very much enjoy these WIPs. The details, as above, make all the difference ! :cool:

Thanks Scott, I really like this bullnose design. I have a bench top hardness tester, worth every penny. I can test after quench and dial in my tempers, its gives a lot of peace of mind. I have hardness files, but that was a waste of money in my opinion. They tell you a five point range at best in my experience. I had blades that were done professionally, that I knew the hardness of, and I couldnt get any consistency with the files, that might have been operator error, but I wouldn't recommend them.

Whattaya looking at for handles on these?

Mmmmm, I love leather and blackwood.

Back