Buoy, Junior, & the Bull

Not to get too distracted from the oohing and aahing for the Smokestack Bullnose ;) (which is certainly worth the high acclaim) but willing to pause on the applause to inquire, what you have heard from the new owner of this recently completed beauty?

Been wonderin'
Ray

Last edited:
Not to get too distracted from the oohing and aahing for the Smokestack Bullnose ;) (which is certainly worth the high acclaim) but willing to pause on the applause to inquire, what you have heard from the new owner of this recently completed beauty?

Been wonderin'
Ray

View attachment 944110
That order was made with the intention of giving it to a nephew as a graduation gift. The last I heard from him was "I don't know if I'm gonna be able to give this up". He'll be in town next week, I'll have to ask if it ever made it to his nephew!

That order was made with the intention of giving it to a nephew as a graduation gift. The last I heard from him was "I don't know if I'm gonna be able to give this up". He'll be in town next week, I'll have to ask if it ever made it to his nephew!

Ha Ha - the kid got a new iPad and Uncle got himself a spectacular custom knife.
Seems to me, that everyone will be happy. :rolleyes: :D

Ray

Last edited:
mkovb.jpg

Maroon micarta has always been my favorite and I've never noticed any difference in the color until now. This piece has a lot of black striations that give a nice effect and goes great with the black leather. This came from an 11 pound box of random end cuts that I got from USAknifemaker, I wish I had a full slab of it.
IMG_20180713_195629-1024x769.jpg

That looks really good. The colors contrast beautifully.

Looks really nice John! :cool: Looks a lot like the maroon micarta that Nathan Carothers has been using (but is discontinuing, not sure why).

ETA - Pic:

IMG_6270.JPG

Last edited:
That looks like the stuff Jared, I really like the look of it.

Usaknifemaker sells 11 pound boxes of random cutoffs of micarta and G10, most of which is at least one inch wide and all different thicknesses (great for spacers, not too great for scales). It's a cheap way to get a variety of colors without having to buy full sheets or scale sets, which can get expensive quick. It's jist a crap shoot of what you get. Me, Tim, and knife1987 split 22 pounds of it and it worked out well.

To make a long story longer, that's where I got this maroon micarta from. The thinner pieces seem like normal maroon, but the thicker pieces have that dark look, I really like it.

To make the long story even longer, I have a lot of Black and OD micarta just over an inch if anyone needs some for a project.

Here's a link to the endcuts

You can request email notification on that page for when it comes in stock, might take a while.

Last edited:
...just a touch of red showing through the smoke. Very nice effect :thumbsup:

Ray

Last edited:
Back