Bura WWII in Afghanistan

Today I poked my head in the command tent and inquired if any mail had come in for my unit. My eyes instantly fixed on an oblong cardboard box and, no kidding folks, my hands started shaking. I opened it as gingerly as an explosives technician defusing a bomb.
When the light of day fell on that Bura made WWII, I know it was the dust in my eyes making 'em watery, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Rusty may not be Santa Claus, but in my book he's even better. This knife is unlike any piece of cutlery I've ever held. As soon as my hand wrapped around that horn handle I had the strangest sensation, like when you find something you once cherished but thought had been forever lost. It's really hard to explain in an understandable way, but somehow it just feels like this is my knife, and always has been.
Rusty, I don't know how to thank you, but rest assured I will find a way.
Part of me wants to wrap this thing up and put it away for posterity.
But, my heart tells me the proper way to honor Bura's craftsmanship is to sharpen it up and use it, I think he'd want it that way.

Sarge

Sarge, I'm glad that your WW11 finally got to you.
I think you are very correct about useing the knife. Somehow I feel that Bura would be dishonored not using his knives. I think of all the work that that man has done when he surely could not have been well for a while. He would not want them put on one of those plastic display stands just to look at.

I took one of my Bura blades out yesterday and put it to work delimbing a broken Pine tree and, I still stick by what I told Uncle Bill about those first two blades that I ever got from HI. They get sharper with use. To work that 15" AK and not pay close attention to what you are doing is asking to get hurt very badly. My BAS is the same way and, one of your boys has a 18" Sirupati that is just doun right wonderful. That KNN is almost spooky.

Have a good time with that WW11 I sure like the one I have. I worked it a while yesterday too. Kumar made a couple of magic ones too I think. I didn't have to sharpen them when I got done last night.

Keep you rear end down, your powder dry and watch your backsides Sarge. God Bless and Semper Fi!!!

Sarge, if anything I'm the one who owes you.

Your contribution to the Bura fund made my donation of the khuk meaningful. I'm not surprised that there was some kind of spiritual "value added" benefit for both of us.

It had a special feeling to it before. It's only right that it's become even more special now. You, me, Chris (SkagSig40), Spence - we all had an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. To become part of an act of Grace, Karma, whatever.

I've not only already been paid back with interest, I get to bank the principal for the next life. As do the rest of us. Thanks also to Uncle who made it possible.

Sarge:

I've been waiting for your post. I'm glad to see that the blade made it (relatively quickly, too). May it serve you well.

S.

Back