bureacratic nonsense in Katrina aftermath

Just where is the sunless pit that spawns these numbnuts, and how do they get to occupy positions of power?

my bold.

Haggard, weary survivors of Hurricane Katrina are making their way out of New Orleans today as authorities clamped down on a city in chaos...

... Thousands of weary and frustrated evacuees are crowding outside the Louisiana Superdome.
They`re looking to board buses that will take them out of the ravaged city of New Orleans to the Houston Astrodome.
The operation, however, has been temporarily suspended after shots were fired at Chinook helicopters being used in the evacuation.
Some evacuees have already arrived at the Astrodome.
They have access to food, clean water, hot showers and cots.
The first bus to arrive at the Houston Astrodome almost didn`t make it inside.
Authorities say it had been commandeered in New Orleans and driven to Houston with a load of passengers eager to escape the city.
According to the "Times-Picayune," a Harris County Judge ruled the Astrodome was only open to evacuees arriving on authorized buses from the Superdome.
Not long after the judge left, he was overruled by a Red Cross official.
Children shouted "thank you!" as the bus rolled through the gates of the Astrodome.
The Red Cross official who made it possible said, quote, "you got to do what`s right."

http://www.kbtv4.tv/news/default.asp?mode=shownews&id=9377

I think they should strip the judge and drop him off in the Superdome after everyone else is evacuated.

A bunch of folks actually get it together to get out of there, co-operate with each other, don't shoot each other, etc, and they are the ones the judge refuses entry??

Show of hands, who here's surprised? :mad:

Bless that Red Cross dude for having some cojones. :D :thumbup: :D

Sarge

"you got to do what`s right."
What would happen if we told ourselves this more often?

Jake

This is the American Red Cross and not that thieving Red Cross..I hope?

Surprising coming from the Red Cross; they've had their share of blunders.

munk

Watching the news... I wept for you.
Felt a knot in my gut.
Greatest Nation in The World..
LOST
May as well live in 3rd world..
People dying - who cares
mostly on benefit!!
Be nice to see one drop of compassion!
Will not sleep tonight!

Please forgive the emotional reaction.
Pure gut talking -
Reason lacking..
Still is -

How a judge gets involved in this I have no idea. Should be the guy at the gate making the call - whether or not they need help and whether or not they look like a danger to others.

That said, this is a crazy situation and people are liable to make mistakes. Besides, the Astrodome can't take everybody, so at some point in the process someone is going to have to turn someone away. (this probably wasn't that point, though)

Back