Burned

So I picked up a titanium Millie off the big auction site with the plan of swapping my cruwear blade and making awesomeness! Welp, I tried the swap and failed... I thought they might have been from different Runs and that’s why things didn’t fit. I ended up putting a nice edge on it, and rocking it in the pocket as a “user”. Then the detent ramp came loose. I decided to send it back to Spyderco because the screw got lost. Took a bit, but Spyderco sent it back with a note informing me its a fake..... beware fellow spydie lovers, I own a few Millie’s and I didn’t spot it.

So I picked up a titanium Millie off the big auction site with the plan of swapping my cruwear blade and making awesomeness! Welp, I tried the swap and failed... I thought they might have been from different Runs and that’s why things didn’t fit. I ended up putting a nice edge on it, and rocking it in the pocket as a “user”. Then the detent ramp came loose. I decided to send it back to Spyderco because the screw got lost. Took a bit, but Spyderco sent it back with a note informing me its a fake..... beware fellow spydie lovers, I own a few Millie’s and I didn’t spot it.

Wow that sucks. At least you know instead of just being mad (at spyderco). Not that the fact of it thrilled you.

It's pretty well known that there are a fair amount of spyderco fakes. Especially on ebay, Amazon and non authorized dealers. Just got to be careful and always check and make sure your protected so you can get your money back or return it. There are alot of resources to verify your knife. Heck you can post pictures here and ask (don't link to the sale though).

Legit spydercos are some of the best users out. The fakes are mostly obvious and not of the same materials or quality.

Sometimes the ad on the sites are fairly obvious they are fakes. Sometimes they arnt. Sometimes people got conned into a fake and they don't know and are selling it as legit. Other times it's on purpose.

Its not just with spydercos. It's pretty bad that these scammers are fully welcome at these online market places. They once kept to the China marketplaces, but now freely roam what was once trusted. Fraud is a good business for these scammers, so they keep doing it. And there are people who support clones, which makes them ever so popular. It makes me sick and annoyed that people buy this stuff knowing they are clones. Even though there are legit knives in the same price range they are looking for.

Now that you have the knife back from Spyderco, did they say why it is a fake?

The Titanium Spyderco Military is one of the hardest fakes to spot. And there are plenty on ebay, etc.

On the other hand, I haven't seen a fake fluted Ti Military yet. And - this will not help you with your Cruwear blade - the 2017+ Ti Military (large lanyard hole and floating stop pin), hasn't been cloned yet either, AFAIK.

Note also - even with a real Spyderco - that the blade swap doesn't always work as the lock is adjusted to the blade.

Roland.

The Titanium Spyderco Military is one of the hardest fakes to spot. And there are plenty on ebay, etc.

On the other hand, I haven't seen a fake fluted Ti Military yet. And - this will not help you with your Cruwear blade - the 2017+ Ti Military (large lanyard hole and floating stop pin), hasn't been cloned yet either, AFAIK.

Note also - even with a real Spyderco - that the blade swap doesn't always work as the lock is adjusted to the blade.

Roland.
Very useful tread SLOsmokin and great video ferider :thumbsup:. I wonder how many people will be studying their titanium Millie's today ? o_O That's one good looking Fake with very little Tell's. I nominate that Video as a sticky :thumbsup::thumbsup:

on_the_edge on_the_edge nope, they didn’t point out what made it fake... messing with it a bit more, it does feel heavy. Perhaps not real titanium??
As for the ad, they claimed it was used and described it as authentic, even came with a box that didn’t look fake either... live and learn, I will stick to dealers and exchange for future purchases.

The whole clone thing infuriates me on so many levels!!!
I seldom buy anything on Ebay or even Amazon any more (I don’t mean just knives).

I thought Spyderco’s policy was to retain clones. I’m surprised they sent it back.

I’m sorry you got burned, OP.

Roland.
Thank you for the video link! I traded for a TI Mili several years ago from a non-Spyderco dealer. He's authorized for some other big American names and sets up at local gunshows. I researched a lot when I first got it but until this vid I could never really be sure it was real. The steel insert and clip information finally confirms to my satisfaction it's real.

I had the same idea to do a blade swap! I chose an M4:

3AD9412F-5844-4DF2-9E11-3BFE5C17A250.jpeg

Sorry to hear you had received a clone, thanks for the heads up!

The whole clone thing infuriates me on so many levels!!!
I seldom buy anything on Ebay or even Amazon any more (I don’t mean just knives).

I thought Spyderco’s policy was to retain clones. I’m surprised they sent it back.

I’m sorry you got burned, OP.

Yeah I just don't understand if your going to go through that much trouble to make a blade, machinery, etc, why not make your own brand and do it right? I get the marketing and all that, I'm just saying they would do so much better if they would just do it right and stop copying.

Kind of off topic, but can we all agree to stop calling fakes/knock-offs "clones"?

^^^^^ For sure. Calling them clones imbues some sense of legitimacy they don't deserve. "Fake/Knock-off" with a nice assortment of adjectives is my choice.

IMHO, what people call them ("clones" vs. "fakes") is largely unimportant. What is important is that everyone knows what we are talking about in the conversation. There is no such thing as a true clone of any knife, so I don't think anybody is going to be confused. Just my .02.

IMHO, what people call them ("clones" vs. "fakes") is largely unimportant. What is important is that everyone knows what we are talking about in the conversation. There is no such thing as a true clone of any knife, so I don't think anybody is going to be confused. Just my .02.

how do you feel about the term, "homage?" :rolleyes:;):p

Last edited:
Fakes, clones, homages, or counterfeits we should all agree keep our eyes open and the intel coming in team :thumbsup:.
APIXFil.jpg

Back