Burning through ht tool steel rather than drilling?

Looking on thoughts about using an oxy ace welding torch to burn through rather than drilling through tool steel than has been hardened. Will this mess up the existing temper?

I'm disheartened with knife options available to me, so looking at finding ht off the shelf stock flat bar and burning larger holes in the handle rather than milling or forging. Then finishing the holes with a die grinder. My plan is to make a knife handle like the cold steel secret edge. Then grind the rest on a homemade belt sander

Torch will definitely change temper in the areas its heat affected.
If you can manage to burn holes without overheating areas you dont want overheated wont change temper in those areas.
Only doing will indicate if temper was changed in undesired areas. Some trial and error may be needed if you try various methods to mitigate unwanted heating.

Fwiw, plasma is much better for this task.
Plasma is so instantly hot and fast cutting less heat will conduct to where its not wanted.

I have experimented with using a plasma cutter and was encouraged. It didn't seem to have as much HAZ as I thought it would.

I have experimented with using a plasma cutter and was encouraged. It didn't seem to have as much HAZ as I thought it would.
+1 plasma, but nearly many alloys you will find will immediately re harden once the puddle solidifies, meaning that you won't really be able to use the plasma as a pilot drill.

Why not buy soft steel and do what you want and then spend the few bucks it takes to have itheat treated?

Back