Bush Bash Spring 2012! Sequoia NF, California. April 27-29, 2012.

BUSH BASH VII... THE RETURN.

Or maybe BUSH BASH VII... THIS TIME IT'S PERSONAL.

Anyways, the time has come for the spring Bush Bash. The date is April 27th to the 29th. The Bush Bash is an informal camping event we hold twice a year. The first one was a few years ago, started by bladeforums W&SS members.

What do you do at a Bush Bash? Activities range from shooting, to cooking, to fire making, to survival skills activities. Throw in some hiking, archery, eating, and whatever else sounds fun. Do a search for "Bush Bash" to see some pictures from past events.

The location is a meadow/clearing in the Sequoia National Forest. The people are young and old and guys and gals. Sometimes we have kids along... but with all the guns lying around, that's not necessarily recommended.

Everyone is welcome to come as long as you bring a good attitude.

Details:
It's car camping. You basically park on the grass next to where you want to set up your tent. People start showing up at around noon on Friday (or earlier). Most people leave by late morning on Sunday. We will have a campfire permit. NO FACILITIES. Bring your own water, food, etc. We usually do a pot luck type of affair whenever the mood hits us, but don't count on being fed (**cough** RAY **cough**).

It can get cold up there. Elevation is about 4600 feet. Last year there was snow on the ground when we arrived. Prepare for sub-freezing temps at night.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...666784,-118.967128&spn=0.003769,0.008149&z=18

Google directions are messed up for that area. Follow these directions to get there:

Lambertiana said:
[...] This is how to get there:

I am assuming everyone can get onto eastbound 198 from 99 at Visalia. Proceed east on 198 past Visalia. You eventually get to a stop light on 198 that is marked Exeter/Rt 65. Set your trip odometer to zero at that intersection, and continue east on 198.

At mile 9.0, turn left on 216 toward Woodlake.
At mile 9.6, turn right on Dry Creek Road
At mile 26.2, turn right on Stagecoach toward Eshom/Hartland
At mile 28.5, turn right toward Hartland/Eshom
At mile 33.7, ignore the right hand road, continue straight
At mile 36.4, turn left on the dirt road. The campsite is 0.1 mile in.

There are no other roads turning off of any significance - just ranch and private property roads, most of them with gates.

The dirt road has deep ruts. My Subaru made it no problem, and another guy who was with me had no trouble with his 2WD minivan. You just have to straddle the ruts. (note: the dirt road is maybe 100 yards long)

I borrowed a friend's GPS, and this is what I got, standing in the middle of the clearing:

36 degrees 39.557 N
118 degrees 57.403 W

11 325196E
4058666N

From my house in the western part of Visalia it took 75 minutes. [...]

Chime in if you plan on showing up!

Damn it... Weekend of my bachelor party. I swear I will actually make it to another Bash some day!

Hey chris ........... What are we not good enough for a bachelor party... Forget the stripper we would have Jason strip for you. You could even throw knives at him and see if he would catch them. After ya all can have a party in Mikes tent i would set the light behind the tent and run the camera. It would be the party you would tell your kids about.
Jason are you going to bring chicken feet again??? this time i would bring a hatchet to prep them faster. With that sauce you had they were a hit..

John I got no idea why you would think that we might want scons and cobbler again... But i would bring some chocolate spread just in case you make us eat that stuff again...

I've gotta come up with a signature food to bring to share with the group. John has his scones and peach cobbler, Jason makes beef jerky, Sasha has bagels and chicken feet (eww), Ray has a can of soup...

I'll come up with something.

I saw Ray and Chris at the Knife Expo in Pasadena today and they were kind enough to remind me of the schedule for this event. Like Chris, I've been busy but would like to join the festivities again.

Thanks to those who keep this gathering going!

DancesWithKnives

[And yes, I ended up with both another knife and a custom hoof pick, even though I had no intent to buy anything....]

Can't wait to get out and play. Here are a few pics from previous events.

IMG_9360.jpg

IMG_9441.jpg

IMG_0588.jpg

IMG_0495.jpg

IMG_0559.jpg

64822584.jpg

IMG_9465.jpg

We need to sort out how we're going to handle the shooting comp this time around. Something like this?

• Handgun - offhand at 25 feet (Mark III)
• Handgun – offhand at 25 feet (shooters choice - non-scoped)
• Non-scoped rifle - offhand at 25 yards (Mini-14)
• Scoped rifle - rested at 150 yards (?)
• Archery - ? yards
• Slingshot – 15 feet

All distances are rough estimates. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Can't make it this year, I've already got plans that weekend. But I hope to make it down for one of the future ones :thumbup:

Back