Bush Waki Project

Huntsman Knife Co.

Gold Member
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I still have lots of blanks in my shop and a big CNC run of machetes to complete this spring but here is what I want to do over the summer.

This is a project I've been dreaming about since I first started making knives-- Make the ultimate bush sword. Cut no corners, spare no expense. Make it completely functional with some aesthetic flairs. Make heavy hitter that can take abuse while still being quick in hand and feel like a sword.

Here is the design I've come up with. Wakizashi inspired style. Full tang, terotuf or cord wrapped neoprene scales. 21inch blade, 31 inches overall. I may end up shortening the handle a bit but I'm pretty set on the blade length and shape. Shooting for a fuller but Ill have to see if I can find a machine shop willing to take on the work. Steel will be ~.250 S7 or 3V.

Let me know what you guys think.

Machete for Scale

J5VmNDp.png

Last edited:
Wow, very nice. Excited to see the finished product.

Yes I am mocking up a version with a traditional guard and cord wrapped handle. I'll post it when I'm done.

S7 and cpm3v seem very different. Both tuff but 3v with much better edge retention I would assume. Why these stills instead of 52100?

I like it lots but that thickness seems like it would be pretty heavy? I think of a Waki as being nimble . . .

S7 and cpm3v seem very different. Both tuff but 3v with much better edge retention I would assume. Why these stills instead of 52100?

3V is a great steel for hard use and it can take a really thin edge and hold it but I sometimes worry about 3V in thin cross sections. In the destruction testing I have done in smaller blades, 3V will violently snap when it reaches its elastic limit in flexion. While I have not personally tested s7 to destruction, it is better at taking nasty bends.

3V is plenty tough and is probably tougher than what is needed in a blade like this but S7 has an edge in the ability to flex without snapping. If I end up going with thinner stock, S7 is likely going to be the choice. I may offer both steels. Again, 3V is more than tough enough, but for a real beater, S7 is probably better.

I would like to use a steel like 52100 but these blades are too long to fit into an oil quench so an air hardening steel is a must.

In regards to the edge retention of 3V, abrasive wear is the smallest factor in edge deterioration in a chopper. Edge stability is much more important. Here 3V has an edge, but s7 can take a sufficiently thin edge for a sword.

Last edited:
I like it lots but that thickness seems like it would be pretty heavy? I think of a Waki as being nimble . . .

It will be fairly heavy overall but it will be balanced. The fuller, high grind, and a relatively thin stock will keep it snappy. I'm also planning on taking some weight out of the tang.

What would be the price of the wakizashi ?
I'm very interested and have some cash that
Is starting to burn a hole in my pocket if you
Make them out of 3V and with a micarta handle
Let me know and if it in my budget I will place a
Order thanks for your time!

Frank

What would be the price of the wakizashi ?
I'm very interested and have some cash that
Is starting to burn a hole in my pocket if you
Make them out of 3V and with a micarta handle
Let me know and if it in my budget I will place a
Order thanks for your time!

Frank

I am still working out all of the logistics but these will certainly be in the $1000-$1200 range. I'm not willing to do a pre order just yet because I have to make sure that I can get a access to a mill to cut the fuller and I also need to do hands on testing with the design. I will keep everyone updated as I finalize my logistics and price and get geared up to take a pre order. That will not be for another month or two.

Thanks so much for your interest in my designs. Ill get a sword into your hands, it may just take some time.

The blade edge needs some curve to be ideal. Do you expect difficulty milling a fuller in CPM 3V? $1k+ is a ton of money, is there no way to bring that cost WAAAAYYYY down? I would be interested in this blade type in any steel suitable for a machete.

Will it be marked and marketed as a machete? That would be helpful for legal reasons. Machetes are agricultural tools, swords are weapons that might hypothetically threaten the power of the incumbent warlords, so mere possession must be severely punished. It's all for the children, of course...and democracy...and mumble-mumble...

Subscribing for updates. I like how this project is sounding. From the specs, design, and materials.

Hoping this gets some traction.

This is what's lined up after the tyrant bowie run.

The next runs of new models will be
Tyrant Bowie
Bush Waki
Tyrant Kukri

Back