Bushcraft Blades: Do they really matter?

So I see plenty of posts (daily, it seems) about Bushcraft knives: what is the best to buy, look what I did with mine, which is best for.....

So here's the question: What is better about a 'bushcraft' knife, and other quality knives of similar sizes. I can do all that I have read so far about bushcraft knives with a $25 Bucklite Max med size or $10 MORA 1 fixed blades. Before I get attacked by those who scream 'custom vs production', I will never compare the workmanship differences, merely the capabilities. Custom knives that do not fall into the 'bushcraft' genre are also capable of the same, but with much more artistic style.

So my point: isn't owning a bushcraft knife merely a name to say you use it in the woods, much as a tactical blade suggests that one uses the blade for real tactical purposes?

Let the conversation (and, I'm sure, the inevitable beatings, which I expect to be done with clubs hand cut and fashioned only by bushcraft knives:D) begin.

So I see plenty of posts (daily, it seems) about Bushcraft knives: what is the best to buy, look what I did with mine, which is best for.....

So here's the question: What is better about a 'bushcraft' knife, and other quality knives of similar sizes. I can do all that I have read so far about bushcraft knives with a $25 Bucklite Max med size or $10 MORA 1 fixed blades. Before I get attacked by those who scream 'custom vs production', I will never compare the workmanship differences, merely the capabilities. Custom knives that do not fall into the 'bushcraft' genre are also capable of the same, but with much more artistic style.

So my point: isn't owning a bushcraft knife merely a name to say you use it in the woods, much as a tactical blade suggests that one uses the blade for real tactical purposes?

Let the conversation (and, I'm sure, the inevitable beatings, which I expect to be done with clubs hand cut and fashioned only by bushcraft knives:D) begin.

If you are asking if most cheap blades can do everything an expensive blade can do, then the answer is yes.

You get a lot of converstion about what makes the best blade because you are on a forum dedicated to knife enthusiasts...

Blade shape is important - different shapes work better for different tasks.
Edge geometry is important - more accute edges cut wood easier that a blunt edge.
Handle shapie is important - a more comfortable handle results in more comfort during longer using time.

I see bushcraft blades as specialized blades that excels at certain tasks, just like a skinning knife with a broad sweeping edge works best for skinning.

It doesn't mean that's the only design that works for the task, its just specialized for the task.

I often thought a knife was a knife. I used my JKs and others for whatever I needed to cut. Then I was given a Mora Craftline Allround and wood cutting became much easier. The grind is absolutely perfect for cutting wood. I still carry my JKs everywhere I go and they do most of my cutting chores but if I'm working with wood I use the Mora.

Blade shape is important - different shapes work better for different tasks.
Edge geometry is important - more accute edges cut wood easier that a blunt edge.
Handle shapie is important - a more comfortable handle results in more comfort during longer using time.

I see bushcraft blades as specialized blades that excels at certain tasks, just like a skinning knife with a broad sweeping edge works best for skinning.

It doesn't mean that's the only design that works for the task, its just specialized for the task.

+1. This is a really good way to look at it. I appreciate the fact that different blade shapes are better for different uses, but can knives designed for skinning animals be used with wood? Absolutely. Could a Mora skin out a whitetail? Absolutely. But each of these knives is more effective at the tasks for which is was designed.

I think at this point my opinions are no secret... a knife is jut that...the skill of the practicioner is the x factor... I love moras I use them more than any other knife for almost anything outdoors... Carving food prep game tasks processing fire wood you name it...
I prefer the edge geometry of the scandi grind.. But I have done all of the aforementioned tasks with flat hollow and convex ground knives as well...
Could you do it all with a few 10 dollar knives absolutely....
But a few time s a year I still lay down the coin for a nice piece.. for the days when I want to feel fancy, or hold something with a little more heft than a mora.

I guess I need to start over. What makes a bushcraft a bustcraft. I've seen he pics, and while most are beautiful knives, I don't see what significant difference the possess that hanges what they do.

FYI, I get that there is a difference between a $10 knife, and a custom (stated that in the original post):confused:, that there are specialized knives for specialized tasks (duh):eek:, and that people here (including me, which is why a post here too, as well as pay for my membership) like to discuss knives, hence the name BLADEforums:eek:. In fact, I AM discussing knives here.

Now that I've cleared all that up.....

I guess I need to start over. What makes a bushcraft a bustcraft.
A scandi is easily maintained in the field and shaves wood very efficiently. A woods knife can be used comfortably in many different grips.
Handle material, handle shape, palm swell, blade thickness, choiled or not, spine line and point type, tip strength all play into things.

Use a skinner with a gut hook to drill into wood and you'll probably snap the tip in a heartbeat.

Not much you can't do with a $10 Mora but a Buck 110 might hinder certain tasks.

Use the right tool for the job.

There are alot on here that use tactical type knives for bushcraft. IMO a bushcraft knife is one that you can use in the field. For me it doesnt have to be marketed as a bushcraft knife for me to use it in the woods.

THere is no difference.. as I see it, it has primarily to do with the 2 issues..
1) allota folks just want to have nice things
2) some folks feel that if the chips where down you the workmanship of a cheaper knife might fail

beyond that it;s just splitting hairs.

Bushcraft should be more of a skill set than a marketing label. Forgot who said it but "$200 knife and $2 worth of know how."

You can impress me with a $10 Mora and ability and make me laugh with a high dollar custom and incompetence.

A knife is a knife. In my opinion, whatever you want the knife to do should be what you base what kind of knife you call it. Whether it be a bushcraft knife or a tactical knife. A knife is still just that, a knife. Many people will use a knife designed to be a 'tactical' knife and use it in the woods. Does that make it a bushcraft knife?

Bushcraft should be more of a skill set than a marketing label. Forgot who said it but "$200 knife and $2 worth of know how."

You can impress me with a $10 Mora and ability and make me laugh with a high dollar custom and incompetence.

Now that's funny. True but funny.

The common line of thought in a bushcrafting knife seems to be a very ergonomic light blade for extensive use. Generally we see a good balance of tip and belly, often with the tip centered along the axis of the handle. Thin angled grinds, thinner blades, more finesse and less brawn.

Well, most of us here are knife aficionados. So when we see a knife we really fancy, we enjoy using it more, and thus enjoy the outdoors more.

The only advantage a nice custom scandi over say a mora, is steel and strength of a full tang. Other than that, we really just like the customs more.

IMO what makes a Bushcraft knife, a Bushcraft knife, is that all the little design features come together to optimize it for use in the woods, primarily crafting things from wood or other plants.

Just a thought: Bushcraft the book. The recommended blade in that book.

That if you want a bushcraft knife, buy only the blade in a book. Sad.

Plus, search bushraft here, and wait and see the variety of designs. Even more fun, search on google images. HOLY SHIZZZZZ!

IMO what makes a Bushcraft knife, a Bushcraft knife, is that all the little design features come together to optimize it for use in the woods, primarily crafting things from wood or other plants.

So then Bushcraft is a nice knife with wood handles? Then my Canadian belt knife is now a Bushcraft? Cool.

Well, most of us here are knife aficionados. So when we see a knife we really fancy, we enjoy using it more, and thus enjoy the outdoors more.

I love nice knives, and being able to do what I need it to is pleasing. That said, enjoying the outdoors can be done equally for me with any knife.

The only advantage a nice custom scandi over say a mora, is steel and strength of a full tang. Other than that, we really just like the customs more.

Isn't a Mora a Scandi with a full tang? Mine is, and it's strong too. Custom looks, no. Again, $10, and I could do as much with it.

The common line of thought in a bushcrafting knife seems to be a very ergonomic light blade for extensive use. Generally we see a good balance of tip and belly, often with the tip centered along the axis of the handle. Thin angled grinds, thinner blades, more finesse and less brawn.

Again, my Bucklight Max and Mora fit that bill. So they are Bushcraft.

All the replies so far seem to point to the fact that Bushcraft is merely a trendy title to sell knies to those looking for a knife for using in the outdoors.

I looked at the description in the Spyderco catalog for their new Bushcraft knife. It is a basic set of specs that describes nearly all of my 3-5 in fixed blade knives. (BTW, the knife is a beautiful piece, and I would love to own one, money permitting, but dfferent from every other knife, not so much)

There are alot on here that use tactical type knives for bushcraft. IMO a bushcraft knife is one that you can use in the field. For me it doesnt have to be marketed as a bushcraft knife for me to use it in the woods.

Now THIS makes sense! Thanks for being honest about this.

Back